Baker Mayfield thought the Patriots would trade up to draft him

OK.  I was going to leave this buried in the generic Around the NFL thread but after the comments it seems this may be a HOT topic 

Is Baker being a douchebag or not?  

He's holding a grudge against Hue ...  after less than half a season?  

Why? Because he let Tyrod start the season for the Browns?  

• Haha (+1) 1

His mouth is bigger than his arm. 

To be fair though I’d imagine the guy is hassled by reporters 24/7 and asked a million questions it’s probably easy to get trapped into controversial quotes sometimes.

I still don’t like him 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

To be fair though I’d imagine the guy is hassled by reporters 24/7 and asked a million questions it’s probably easy to get trapped into controversial quotes sometimes.

I still don’t like him 

As long as he backs it up I'd be good with him here.  

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

OK.  I was going to leave this buried in the generic Around the NFL thread but after the comments it seems this may be a HOT topic 

Shady, please don't post misleading thread titles.

Please change it to "Well...Baker Mayfield is a Moron".

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

I think Baker and Allen will be part of a new, young, exciting QB crop that will be the face of the NFL. Super star QB's have the power to demand trades and put a vise grip on teams that only a few positions if any can. Keep your super star QB happy at all costs.

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I still don’t like him 

Sports media sucks.  If he answers the question (based on information from his agent-the guy in the know), he is a loud mouth.  If he doesn't answer, he is a robot and giving non-answers. 

• Like (+1) 3

14 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Shady, please don't post misleading thread titles.

Please change it to "Well...Baker Mayfield is a Moron".

D2D, I was just about to congratulate you on your promotion to “mod,” then read the rest of your post and realized it wasn’t automated. At least you’re still in the running for post of the day though, so it’s not all bad news:D

• Haha (+1) 3

If you watched hard knocks you would understand the grudge. Hue Jackson did not look the part and you could tell he was trying to put on for the cameras. No one likes a blow hard Fake

add that to the fact that the guy(hue) is a proven loser as HC

• Like (+1) 1

I feel he’s just being petty for no reason. I watched Hard Knocks and sure, Hue sucked as a head coach. Never should have been given the second year. But does Baker assume that’s Hue’s decision to make? It’s not like Hue hired himself. How about just being grateful a team took you first overall. Then, he stares down Hue and trash talks him for going to a “rival team” as if Hue had job offers from 31 teams after being canned from the Browns for being the worst head coach in NFL history. Just a lot of pettiness for no reason. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This was my worst nightmare on draft day.

It's bad enough that I knew the Bills weren't going to draft Mayfield (which is who I wanted the most, but was someone I knew wasn't a Beane/McDermott guy). Once all the reports started coming out that the Patriots would trade up for him, I was terrified. First of all, it would be SO Belichick after years of accumulating and hoarding draft picks to suddenly give up the farm for a QB. And you know what? He'd be proven right and hailed as a genius AGAIN for all eternity because Mayfield would have absolutely KILLED IT in New England. I mean...just look at how well he played last year on a dysfunctional Cleveland team with all-time bad coaching. Now imagine him in the McDaniels offense. Sheesh.

I was also confused because it seemed like the Bills tried to trade up to two but Gettleman wouldn't budge. It didn't make sense to me, then, that the Patriots, who picked much lower than the Bills and had less compelling draft ammunition, could somehow pull it off. I wouldn't have put it past Belichick to find a way, though.

In the end, Mayfield wound up going somewhere where I can safely sort of enjoy his great career and douchey antics from afar. Having to face him twice a year and watch the Pats dynasty go another two decades would have been unbearable.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I'm liking Baker, i dig the swagger so i don't look at this as intent to be a douchbag.  Hue is Hue and he is what we thought...

if Jeff George and Drew Brees had a lovechild = Baker

i think his ceiling is very high as long as he understands and respects his limitations, the fire in his belly alone will win games, I'm happy for Cleveland, i'm jealous it's not the bills but i'm glad they have they appear to be putting it together.

Edited by Say When...
typo
  • Like (+1) 2

Oh boy ....  

Baker Mayfield’s defense of Odell Beckham tears down Giants ...

“He’s here to work, and he wants to be surrounded by people who love and support him and allow him to be himself,” Mayfield said. “He’s here to play in front of fans who actually care, who will actually show up to every game and pack the stadium and love him for who he is.”

Oh OBJ 

“I just felt with the Giants I was just stuck at a place that wasn’t working for me anymore,” Beckham told Complex UK recently. “I felt like I wasn’t going to be able to reach my full potential there — mentally, physically, spiritually, everything I felt capable of doing, I just couldn’t see it happening there. So I think allowing me to be in an environment where I can be myself and give it a different approach, I feel like my football will benefit.”

Quit being an asshat and the mental and spiritual growth will come 

• Like (+1) 1