McDermott & Beane on how they avoid Coach- GM “relationship fracture”

I really like both of these guys.  Leadership is one of the hardest things to get right because everyone has egos and everyone wants things done “their” way.

The quote: “You do have to be honest. We don’t always see eye to eye. You never are. There’s too many things,” Beane said. “I don’t see eye to eye with every scout I have. But we encourage people to say what’s on their mind and I think that gets you to the right answer. Don’t take it personal. And if you don’t take it personal you can get over it even if you disagree.”

That is what true leadership is about.  A great leader understands that discussion and communication make a stronger unit overall and that your team needs to be able to speak freely and truthfully and you need to listen. 

Great find Yolo.

• Like (+1) 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

“Sean, I hear you saying you feel frustrated because my approach to building an offense has seemed delayed, haphazard, and incompetent.  Do I have that right?  I understand why you feel that way, it must be frustrating.  Your feelings are valid.”

”Brandon, I hear you saying you feel scared and angry when it seems to you that I’m coaching not to lose, as opposed to going for the win.  I get why that might be scary and annoying to you.  Your feelings are valid.”

• Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I think both hires have been homeruns. 

Their legacy here in buffalo is tied to Allen’s success 100% though. Sucks everything falls to the success of QB1 in the NFL but as proven in Buffalo talented teams don’t save jobs you have to get a top 15 quarterback 

• Like (+1) 3

The relationship between Beane and McDermott is really a microcosm of our relationships here at Two Bills Drive. They don't always see eye to eye, but in the end, after a thorough discussion of the issues, they come to a realization that one answer works best and they move on. No hard feelings.

For instance, @Royale with Cheese has learned that brown sugar and cinnamon Pop Tarts absolutely blow chunks. It's not a defect in his thinking, he just had to learn that frosted strawberry are much more enjoyable.

Another example, @Gugny has finally come to the realization that pizza crust is only one component of a very good pizza...you still have to have great sauce, whole milk mozz and cup and char pepperoni.

Again, @mrags drives a Ford truck.  After much discussion, he's learned how the Ford product line is separated into two categories: death traps or repair shop jackpots.  I don't blame him for his initial thoughts....we have discussed this at length and he finally sees his error.

There's countless instances where other members have disagreed with me on topics but they have come around to my line of thinking and the board is better for it such as @ExiledInIllinois (taking no blame for the influx of asian carp in our, once, pristine waters), @ShadyBillsFan (finally admitting his heartfelt loss over the departure of 26CP), @Cripple Creek (being fooled by a "live cam" only to admit his mistake when the mechanized bear needed to be recalibrated by a technician).

So many examples of disagreements and then a resolution based on honest discussion.  We really have a great board which mimics the "give and take" of the Beane and McDermott relationship.

• Haha (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

I really like both of these guys.  Leadership is one of the hardest things to get right because everyone has egos and everyone wants things done “their” way.

The quote: “You do have to be honest. We don’t always see eye to eye. You never are. There’s too many things,” Beane said. “I don’t see eye to eye with every scout I have. But we encourage people to say what’s on their mind and I think that gets you to the right answer. Don’t take it personal. And if you don’t take it personal you can get over it even if you disagree.”

That is what true leadership is about.  A great leader understands that discussion and communication make a stronger unit overall and that your team needs to be able to speak freely and truthfully and you need to listen. 

Great find Yolo.

This, ladies and gents, sounds like a great endorsement for free speech. ?

2 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

Great find Yolo.

...CERTAINLY agree....they seem to mesh very well.....always see "eye to eye"?.........hope not.....it's not realistic........get the impression from the comments that they hash it out and come to a consensus....now fire them BOTH............

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, stuvian said:

our front office and brain trust are really solid. Maybe the best since the Polian/Butler era

Beane and McD probably need to win a few more games before I would go this far.  They seem to be on the right path, though this season will be telling.

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...CERTAINLY agree....they seem to mesh very well.....always see "eye to eye"?.........hope not.....it's not realistic........get the impression from the comments that they hash it out and come to a consensus....now fire them BOTH............

I would not not want them to see eye to eye all the time or they would continue to make the same mistakes over and over.

You really want them to have different opinions and neither have the ego to just say this is how it has to be, but really discuss what is best.

Most importantly you do not need the Rex/Marone and Whaley or Brandon dynamic where one guy talks bad about the other to the owner and you end up with a horrible dynamic where discussion is squelched.

• Like (+1) 1

And just like in the bad times, McDermott said that a swing into good times can test a relationship, as well.

“I’ve seen head coaches and GM relationships get strained or fractured because of success. All of the sudden it’s because of me or he’s saying it’s because of him,” McDermott said. “That battle for power or the battle for whose ego is bigger, I’ve seen that fracture a relationship. (The relationship is) always under stress, I guess you would say.

“If we can keep the direct line of communication open, I think, although hard, that’s the healthiest way to go about it.”

This part is more important that the dysfunction that can occur when things aren't going well. If they start winning, can they stay on the same page and continue to build the team or will their egos get the best of them?

After reading about and watching a lot of clips of Beane and McDermott, they really do seem like genuine people who will continue to practice what they preach and aren't just putting on a face. If they become successful here and start competing year in and year out, I think they'll be consistent and build their relationship versus letting success deteriorate it. 

I think they have the right amount of loyalty and "family" priorities but that they also understand it's a business and tough decision need to be made. Look at how they embraced Pancho Billa. They didn't have to keep in touch with him or include him in the draft, but they did. At the same time, I'm sure firing Crossman, Castillo, and Dennison wasn't fun or part of the plan, but they recognized it had to be done and didn't let the issues fester.

Obviously it can all go south very quickly, but I think we have a very solid pair on our hands.

1 hour ago, BringBackFergy said:

The relationship between Beane and McDermott is really a microcosm of our relationships here at Two Bills Drive. They don't always see eye to eye, but in the end, after a thorough discussion of the issues, they come to a realization that one answer works best and they move on. No hard feelings.

For instance, @Royale with Cheese has learned that brown sugar and cinnamon Pop Tarts absolutely blow chunks. It's not a defect in his thinking, he just had to learn that frosted strawberry are much more enjoyable.

Another example, @Gugny has finally come to the realization that pizza crust is only one component of a very good pizza...you still have to have great sauce, whole milk mozz and cup and char pepperoni.

Again, @mrags drives a Ford truck.  After much discussion, he's learned how the Ford product line is separated into two categories: death traps or repair shop jackpots.  I don't blame him for his initial thoughts....we have discussed this at length and he finally sees his error.

There's countless instances where other members have disagreed with me on topics but they have come around to my line of thinking and the board is better for it such as @ExiledInIllinois (taking no blame for the influx of asian carp in our, once, pristine waters), @ShadyBillsFan (finally admitting his heartfelt loss over the departure of 26CP), @Cripple Creek (being fooled by a "live cam" only to admit his mistake when the mechanized bear needed to be recalibrated by a technician).

So many examples of disagreements and then a resolution based on honest discussion.  We really have a great board which mimics the "give and take" of the Beane and McDermott relationship.

Strange, you say this... I asked my wife last night.  Polled her on her favorite toaster pastry...

My wife's fav Pop-Tarts® are Cinnamon & Brown sugar... WTF!  

...But, then again, I blow chunks.  Go figure.

[FWIW, I absolutely can't stand cinnamon.  And everybody knows sugar is white, NOT brown.  That brown sugar & cinnamon can go back to where it came from... Repair their shithole country! AND take McBean too!]

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

1 hour ago, BringBackFergy said:

Cinnamon is not my cup of tea....I would never buy that Pop Tart.  I like Frosted Strawberry but unfrosted Blueberry is much better.  

Because McDermott Gave his friend a job. 

5 hours ago, stuvian said:

our front office and brain trust are really solid. Maybe the best since the Polian/Butler era

1) they didn’t let the last GM hire his own coaches.

2). They hired the coach before the GM.  There’s a reason why no good teams operate like this. There’s no way Beane can fire McDermott.  

• Like (+1) 1