Do you expect better preseason games

12 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I think you can actually tel a lot from pre-season.  When Rex was coach there were ominous signs during pre-season games, miscommunication, late substitutions, mis-use of the replay....and he actually  tried to win them

i struggle with preseason games, i understand the intent but i'm not sure i can discern between underlying issues, what you've notated above, and the reality is the team/coach is just going through the motions; albeit your observation ended up being a real issue.

Rex (and other coaches) talk about doing things they would never do in the regular season, they know the games don't count they scheme "vanilla", some players are full go @ 120% and others are 50 to 75, i just feel like it's not a real effort and thus why are we doing it?  so we can evaluate talent during a less than 100% effort against vanilla schemes?

Don't get me wrong, the season needs a practice game or two, players need a feel for a real game experience without it counting against them to warm up but i'm not sure it's 4 and not sure it needs to be such a production...

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Pfffft. So Levy’s preseason record told you a lot, huh?

=No, he had an established team  & system., up until the big three were let go.  Then yes at those pre-season games you could tell a lot .

Bills are likely going to have 9-11 new starters this year, that is extraordinary . going to be interesting to see what the o lien looks like, who is the TE, the feature back, can Oliver/Ford start out of the gate

Edited by RoyBatty is alive
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Say When... said:

i struggle with preseason games, i understand the intent but i'm not sure i can discern between underlying issues, what you've notated above, and the reality is the team/coach is just going through the motions; albeit your observation ended up being a real issue.

Rex (and other coaches) talk about doing things they would never do in the regular season, they know the games don't count they scheme "vanilla", some players are full go @ 120% and others are 50 to 75, i just feel like it's not a real effort and thus why are we doing it?  so we can evaluate talent during a less than 100% effort against vanilla schemes?

Don't get me wrong, the season needs a practice game or two, players need a feel for a real game experience without it counting against them to warm up but i'm not sure it's 4 and not sure it needs to be such a production...

That is what i noted in Rex pre-season, the mis-communication, missed assignments, saw a system that was working properly, and no i am not talking about after the first quarter with your starters. If you starters can get into a huddle in time with running in a full l sprint during PRE SEASON when there is limited pressure, how does one epxect it to improve during the season.

11 minutes ago, Say When... said:

If the league is pushing for 18 games, why not eliminate 2 preseason games and start the season earlier. 

I'm game...

Edited by Figster

35 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I think you can actually tel a lot from pre-season.  When Rex was coach there were ominous signs during pre-season games, miscommunication, late substitutions, mis-use of the replay....and he actually  tried to win them

There were ominous signs prior to the pre-season games.  The initial one was when it was announced Rex had been hired.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Wnybricky said:

Don’t of had a big boy table that needs some attending to?

Chandler is making a point. Wins or losses during the preseason is not a good indicator.

How can it be when the actual starters have limited play time.

15 hours ago, Wnybricky said:

The past 2 years it always seemed like we were getting blown out later on in preseason games. I think this is a direct result of the lack of depth the team has had due to the cap situation. I never like to watch my team lose. I know it doesn’t matter and there is other factors at play that may for the team be more important. Do you expect this year for the Bills to be more competitive in the preseason matchups?

If your point is the second half of preseason games is an indication of which team has better depth, I agree to an extent. Looking at the scores from last year, though, doesn’t seem to support your belief. There’s no clear trend. 

5 hours ago, TPS said:

If your point is the second half of preseason games is an indication of which team has better depth, I agree to an extent. Looking at the scores from last year, though, doesn’t seem to support your belief. There’s no clear trend. 

Hey man that’s fair. Just seems like for years now we have been making the 3rd string Lions Qb Look like Joe Montana.

11 minutes ago, Augie said:

I just like to watch individual players during preseason. The outcomes clearly don’t matter, but the players and potential do.  

This is pretty much the same for me aswell. I want to see the depth players play well of course. But that 4th game,I'm always feeling blah on that one. Sometimes Imay not even watch the  4th preseason game.

Main thing for me is I would hate to see any injuries, especially major ones to any of the starters. A lot of times that happens to teams and it really sucks. Hate to lose impact players in a meaningless game.

Edited by Patrick_Duffy

1 minute ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

This is pretty much the same for me aswell. I want to see the depth players play well of course. But that 4th game,I'm always feeling blah on that one. Sometimes Imay not even watch the  4th preseason game.

Main thing for me is I would hate to see any injuries, especially major ones to any of the starters. A lot of times that happens to teams and it really sucks.

Don’t even say the I word! We can’t afford that at this point. Preseason is tough, but I still watch to see who jumps put at you. 

Preseason games sound interesting in July and early August. Then the 3rd quarter starts of the 1st preseason game, and its blatantly obvious, that this has very little of what we like about football. So no, dont expect better preseason games....

Edited by wagon127
  • Like (+1) 2

I expect somewhat cleaner play from veterans than last year, particularly on offense.  That would show up especially in week 3 of preseason.  Rookies are still rookies, and if you put enough of them in a game, it's going to get sloppy.