Do you expect better preseason games

i think jumping down the OP throat is a little harsh- we are in the time of year where every thought has been on this board- I will agree i wish we won the preseason games just for entertainment but i hope out coaches have other things to use the games for besides winning preseason games.

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

A good preseason game = a game in which there are no injuries.

Exactly.  You can NEVER tell if a team is going to be really good from the preseason, but sometimes you can tell that they’re going to be really bad.  That’s about it.  The best indication that you might be good is that they’re really not trying in the preseason. 

I like watching the young fringe guys compete. Giving it all in hopes to earn that last spot. The coaches sure will have a tough time deciding if there are multiples of these guys to choose from in final cuts. Sign me up for good depth competitions! If that means winning some preseason games too, awesome...

7 hours ago, Figster said:

I'll bite OP,

Upgraded Oline and a more settled QB position should produce better results this year both pre season and regular season IMO. A little continuity.

Myself personally, winning is nice , but as much can be learned from a loss during pre season in my humble opinion.

...good points bud.......I think the evaluative process during pre-season is tougher having to go from 90 to 53.......just my opinion..........

• Thank you (+1) 1

it is always nicer to get a W in preseason, but it does not mean a damn thing.  

Was it the Lions or Browns that went  4-0 in the preseason and 0-16 in the regular season?   (or both?)

I want to see player development and cohesion. 

I want to see players perform like they know what they are doing out there. 

Remove the pre season games and let teams just setup practice sessions vs other teams on their own. Add 2 of those games to make it a 18 game schedule but you minus 2 games. The players only really play a large amount of game time in pre season weeks 2 and 3 anyway so it's pretty much the same grind minus pre season games.

3 hours ago, Boca BIlls said:

Is this a serious thread?

The Bills didn't get "blown out" last preseason at all. So the OP is a troll.

we were blown out by Bengals 20-0 in first half with starters playing.  Showed how poor our OL was and that without pressure our DBs were a liability (Davis, Gaines etc)

Preseason games are not meant to be won.  They're strictly to evaluate new and veteran players, familiarize players with the system, tweak the system as deemed necessary, and provide some game experience for inexperienced players.  Who cares if the games are "better" (ask Marv Levy, who went to four Super Bowls and rarely won a preseason game).

10 hours ago, RememberTheRockpile said:

The Bills preseason record in the Superbowl years 1990 to 1993 was 6 and 12. The Bills were outscored in those preseason games 273 to 417. Draw your own conclusions. 

Lot more NFC opponents?

• Thank you (+1) 1

No injuries is basically what I hope for #1.Other than that it is good to see your team do well in any game but there is little to no correlation of good play/outcomes in preseason to regular season so.....lets just not get injured.

11 hours ago, RememberTheRockpile said:

The Bills preseason record in the Superbowl years 1990 to 1993 was 6 and 12. The Bills were outscored in those preseason games 273 to 417. Draw your own conclusions. 

The year the Lions were 0-16, they were 4-0 in preseason.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Gugny said:

A good preseason game = a game in which there are no injuries.

This.

Unless, of course, you're one of the cleverer among us that has access to rubber mats.

The only upside to preseason is simply that it means the drought is over, and meaningful football is on its way.  The final cut down day is a relatively big deal, the final configuration of the offensive line this year will be a relatively big deal, the running backs and tight ends will be a relatively big deal.  But otherwise?  Just beware the mats.

5 hours ago, The Jerk said:

Remember in 2008 when the Lions won all their preseason games? They were fantastic that season.

This is what came to mind for me as well.  There’s also the 2017 Browns who also went 4-0 in the preseason.

• Like (+1) 1

Wow most of you are just so cynical and brutal with your responses.  The original poster has a legitimate question.  We are not the Patriots Saints Steelers Chargers, Rams etc.  Meaning we have not been one of the elite teams in the league since the late 90's.  Any mojo we can get to start the season with seems like a positive to me.  We have upgraded the talent considerably on the offensive side of the ball.  However, these players need to mesh with each other,  the coaches, and especially Josh Allen.  And as far as the defense is concerned, sure we are an experienced group having played together.  But we were far from dominant, especially against the run in many games.  So I believe a good showing in the preseason is most important to getting the team in the right frame of mind to attack the first month of the season.  Especially after the garbage effort we put forth in the Baltimore, LA Charger and Green Bay games last year.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...good points bud.......I think the evaluative process during pre-season is tougher having to go from 90 to 53.......just my opinion..........

True that, 

Players fighting to become the starters, the backups. Players fighting just to make the team. Competing at a time when wins mean nothing by way of standings. Everything to a players future in the NFL.

Who sinks, who swims...

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I think you can actually tel a lot from pre-season.  When Rex was coach there were ominous signs during pre-season games, miscommunication, late substitutions, mis-use of the replay....and he actually  tried to win them

Pfffft. So Levy’s preseason record told you a lot, huh?