Do you expect better preseason games

The past 2 years it always seemed like we were getting blown out later on in preseason games. I think this is a direct result of the lack of depth the team has had due to the cap situation. I never like to watch my team lose. I know it doesn’t matter and there is other factors at play that may for the team be more important. Do you expect this year for the Bills to be more competitive in the preseason matchups?

Edited by Wnybricky

Is this going to turn into a bash whaley thread because his cap management cost us preseason games?

I really don't even know where to go with this one. I can't think of a reason to care, win a regular season game.

Edited by Ol Dirty B
  • Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, RememberTheRockpile said:

The Bills preseason record in the Superbowl years 1990 to 1993 was 6 and 12. The Bills were outscored in those preseason games 273 to 417. Draw your own conclusions. 

What were their records in said superbowls ?  Am I alone in the fact that if my team suits up I want them to win? I guess so.....

• Like (+1) 1

I'll bite OP,

Upgraded Oline and a more settled QB position should produce better results this year both pre season and regular season IMO. A little continuity.

Myself personally, winning is nice , but as much can be learned from a loss during pre season in my humble opinion.

Edited by Figster
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Wnybricky said:

What were their records in said superbowls ?  Am I alone in the fact that if my team suits up I want them to win? I guess so.....

I like to see the players do well and see how the starters do, but there really aren't any conclusions to make from preseason games about how the team will perform in the regular season.

So yeah, I don't really care if they win in the preseason, but I suppose it is nice if they do.

Those games are for evaluating individual performances, and even then we as fans only have maybe a 1/4 of the information necessary to make a conclusion about each player.

I remember John Ross lighting us up in that Cincy preseason game. I thought he'd be a major contributor for them, and when the regular season rolled around he did nothing.

I want to see the rookies on the field, especially Joseph, Knox, Sills, and Ford. I want to see what the WR group can do even in meaningless situations. There should be some good competition at certain positions throughout TC and the preseason this year. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, H2o said:

I want to see the rookies on the field, especially Joseph, Knox, Sills, and Ford. I want to see what the WR group can do even in meaningless situations. There should be some good competition at certain positions throughout TC and the preseason this year. 

I need to see me some Sills V making this team. Excited for Knox and Sweeney as well. 

There is way more to it than just the players. Personnel packages, formations, play book, and even basic game strategy aren't employed normally at all in the preseason.

Not sure how you can judge a team by a contest where almost all the head coaches would go for a 2 point conversion instead of taking a chance at a tie or kick a field goal down 7 late in the game just to give the back up kicker some work.

Just about everyone seems to understand that the preseason is just a glorified scrimmage. Practice and evaluation take precedent over winning for every team in the league during these games.

• Like (+1) 1

The OP is taking a lot of heat for this thread, and rightfully so.  Preseason games are nothing more than glorified practices.  I think they are somewhat important for new coaching staffs as they test out their game management preparation, and they're obviously important for young players trying to make a roster by standing out in a way they can't during training camp.  For teams with established coaching staffs and veteran players the goal of preseason is to stay healthy.  Yeah, you'll hear your occasional coach say something like "whenever we're playing we are playing to win" but nobody really cares.

The Bills are not dealing with any scheme changes this year.  For them this preseason is (I would presume) mostly about getting the new starting OL some live reps together, as well as giving Josh some time with his new receivers.  The defense has almost nothing to prove during these practice games.  It's also a good opportunity for Heath Farwell to get his ST in gear.

• Thank you (+1) 1