RIP Morgan Woodward (very belated)

One of my many interests is 1960's television and movies.  I guess until today I had not poked around the right site to learn of his passing.  Among his credits are Cool Hand Luke (Boss with no eyes), Dallas (Jock Ewing's buddy Punk Anderson), and Star Trek (Dr Van Gelder and Capt Tracey).  Did a lot of other television with most of it being Westerns.  Transitioned into the 1970's doing the Walton's as well as Dallas.  Definitely a character actor but his performances always kept me paying attention.  Deep gravelly voice was his trademark.

Edited by RochesterRob
  • Thank you (+1) 2

He was certainly a memorable character in both Star Trek roles.

Not as many non-episodial series (such as Twilight Zone) reused lead protagonist actors so much without even using makeup to change appearance.  Remember seeing him on The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr. and thinking I had not seen him for a while.

CseqQjIWIAAAHLi.jpg

VzfKd.jpg

38 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

He was certainly a memorable character in both Star Trek roles.

Not as many non-episodial series (such as Twilight Zone) reused lead protagonist actors so much without even using makeup to change appearance.  Remember seeing him on The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr. and thinking I had not seen him for a while.

CseqQjIWIAAAHLi.jpg

VzfKd.jpg

His career tapered off around the early 1980's.  He played Renko's dad on Hill St Blues and was impressive.  Then he could switch it up and do an over the top bad guy on the A Team.  Worked for a long time in the industry.  Contrast that with Skip Homeier who just up and quit Hollywood while still middle-aged around the same time.  My understanding is that Homier became somewhat reclusive.

Edited by RochesterRob

12 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

I remember that ST:TOS episode!

“We’re looking for Doctor Van Gelder”.

”He’s not in this cargo container!”

”Oh, hiding in the cargo container, is he?!”

Wait, that was ‘Bugs and Thugs’...?

That episode was never the same for me once James Gregory (Dr Adams) appeared on Barney Miller as Inspector Luger.  

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RochesterRob said:

That episode was never the same for me once James Gregory (Dr Adams) appeared on Barney Miller as Inspector Luger.  

I think many of the police, perps, and victims who filed through Manhattan’s 12th Precinct were ancestors of inmates of the Tantalus Penal Colony.