Howard Stern Wants OJ Simpson Thrown Off Twitter; Interviews Kim Goldman

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Lol 

exactly!!! 

So all criminals should be banned from Twitter?

hurray no more Donald  

I wish all criminals would be banned from Twitter. Maybe the damn thing would die then. 

Edited by RaoulDuke79
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Binghamton Beast said:

If she left her sunglasses behind, would you take them back to her if you knew the Juice was in the neighborhood?

Sure.  I'll take my chances............Probably says more about my love life than any type of bravery. 

• Like (+1) 1

It's quite simple really. OJ Simpson is a free man (whether or not he should be is a different argument for a different, time), so can say whatever he likes. Howard Stern can also say whatever he likes. 

Howard Stern's fight was against the FCC. A  taxpayer funded, government controlled agency. Because this agency was run by the government, Howard believed that them trying to limit, stop, or censor what he was saying violated his first amendment rights. He then went to Sirius radio. They don't have to follow FCC guidelines as far as content goes. However, they certainly have internal polices, granted much looser than those of a publicly broadcast radio stations, about what can and cannot be said.

Twitter has their own terms and conditions. At this point, OJ Simpson has not violated any of those. They do however, have the right to refuse service to anybody, for any reason. Be it Donald Trump, Hillary Clinton, @Gugny, Howard Stern, or OJ Simpson. Howard is suggesting that Twitter uses this right to remove OJ Simpson from their platform. 

If OJ Simpson were being punished by the government for having/using social media, I'm sure Howard would be on OJ's side. 

Now, we can debate whether social media platforms using censorship is ethical, or good business. What can't be debated, is whether they're violating free speech. Just as TBD/TSW can block and permanently and temporarily ban us for violating their terms. Or for no reason at all if they wanted. 

Edited by The Real Buffalo Joe
  • Like (+1) 1

On 7/17/2019 at 6:01 PM, bbb said:

Following Tim Graham on twitter, he seems like he was mentioned here?  I thought he was actually on the show, but I guess not.  

Earlier in the week Howard played some clips from the interview TG did with OJ recently.  The Kim Goldman interview was separate from that.

Edited by BillsFanNC

On 7/18/2019 at 6:08 PM, KD in CA said:

The ‘gravity’ of one more buffoon in a population of millions of them spewing nonsense on Twitter?  Wow.

p.s.  The Goldman’s should have gotten better grief therapy.  Still doing OJ interviews 25 years later is what is sad here.

This is a pretty unique situation due to OJ's celebrity combined with his inability to just lay low where the Goldman's are constantly reminded that the guy who murdered their son/brother and got away with it is out there living the good life.  I'm willing to cut them some slack.  ***** OJ. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, NobesBLO13 said:

We still have sweet sweet nostalgia 

Does this include an interviewer on the street picking a certain demographic and asking:

1). Do you hit your woman?  To which all said no.... 

and then 2)  but what about  when she just won’t listen to you?  Which got the majority to        say it was okay or make some garbled comment saying it was okay

8 hours ago, BillsFanNC said:

Earlier in the week Howard played some clips from the interview TG did with OJ recently.  The Kim Goldman interview was separate from that.

Ah, thanks...................Since I posted, I listened to the whole Kim interview and heard nothing, so I really had no idea what they were talking about on twitter.  

3 hours ago, bbb said:

Ah, thanks...................Since I posted, I listened to the whole Kim interview and heard nothing, so I really had no idea what they were talking about on twitter.  

A publicity stunt to remind people he still has a show the last decade?

2 hours ago, row_33 said:

A publicity stunt to remind people he still has a show the last decade?

I am still an avid listener of Stern, and while his show certainly has evolved, I still enjoy it very much.  Particularly the interviews.  I mean, they still get around 30 million listeners every day, so they must be doing something right ?‍♂️

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I am still an avid listener of Stern, and while his show certainly has evolved, I still enjoy it very much.  Particularly the interviews.  I mean, they still get around 30 million listeners every day, so they must be doing something right ?‍♂️

Congrats, for years I had a 90 minute commute during the OJ Trial and other great years

there is absolutely no way he is drawing an average of 30 million

Maybe they count if people randomly go up the dial and land on him for two seconds

15 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Congrats, for years I had a 90 minute commute during the OJ Trial and other great years

there is absolutely no way he is drawing an average of 30 million

Maybe they count if people randomly go up the dial and land on him for two seconds

Sorry.  SiriusXM has over 30 million subscribers...largely due to the Howard Stern Show.  It is estimated that the show gets an average of a couple hundred thousand listeners daily.  I still love the show, and the Kim Goldman interview was brilliant, IMO.  I also have no problem with Howard expressing his opinion re: OJ and Twitter.

4 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Sorry.  SiriusXM has over 30 million subscribers...largely due to the Howard Stern Show.  It is estimated that the show gets an average of a couple hundred thousand listeners daily.  I still love the show, and the Kim Goldman interview was brilliant, IMO.  I also have no problem with Howard expressing his opinion re: OJ and Twitter.

Thanks!!  He’s not grabbing 1 in 10 Americans, I doubt his international appeal has a presence.

i loved the show, his best episode was the day after 9/11 where they carried on, it was very helpful.

2 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I love Howard, but I would imagine a lot of the Trump voting types that frequent this board aren't going to agree with us.

That's OK.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

He only did a few times in this Kim Goldman interview, but with Joe Namath and other interviews I've listened to in the last few years, he drives me nuts, and I imagine the guest, when he keeps cutting them off in mid sentence to ask something totally different.  

The interviews:

Robert Plant is with us.....

play Stairway to Heaven (and four other anthems) and ask Robert if he remembers these songs

ask Robert if he had a romantic lust  for Jimmy Page

On 7/17/2019 at 9:53 PM, BillsFan17 said:

I never once brought the government into it. My stance is you are inherently able say and or express your self, without anyone person or entity to infringe upon that. Idc if it's over the radio or on a social media platform. Deplatforming people creates very dangerous precedents. Simple as that. You can try whatever mental gymnastics you want to convince me otherwise. 

It's not just gymnastics, but it's factually wrong. I am under no legal obligation to allow you  to have your voice heard, and I can use any legal means at my disposal to prevent it if I want to. A non-government owned facility is in the same boat. If this forum, facebook, twitter or your local newspaper decided that they wanted to censor specifically you and your opinions, that is not at all illegal. 

I'm a staunch defender of the first amendment and strongly believe in listening to dissenting opinions as long as they have merit, but in order to do that we need to be explicitly clear about what free speech is and what it is not. Various media outlets (and political figures) have blurred the lines as to what free speech is in recent years, but factually there's a very clear line between government entities (The FCC) and private individuals/companies (Facebook/Twitter, etc.) even when they are publicly traded.

Edit: you can consider it bad form, or unethical for a company to censor your opinions or gate the boundaries of discussion, but there's no legal merit to it in most cases as long as it doesn't discriminate against a protected class.

Edited by BullBuchanan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1