Ted's Film Room: Josh Allen's Rookie Year in Review (TheAthletic article)

Logic

2 hours ago, Virgil said:

This really doesn't make me feel better about the accuracy issue.  To be dead last in these metrics and not much better even after the break is tough to read.  I get that short throws will help with that, but I always wonder just how much a QB can increase their overall accuracy.  I feel like you either have it or you don't.

He won't ever be known for his pinpoint accuracy. If he can learn to read defenses correctly his other traits will make up for it. I don't really want to replicate the New England offense. The Kansas City offense makes way more sense for his skill set. Considering all the speed they've added I think that might be the plan.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Virgil said:

This really doesn't make me feel better about the accuracy issue.  To be dead last in these metrics and not much better even after the break is tough to read.  I get that short throws will help with that, but I always wonder just how much a QB can increase their overall accuracy.  I feel like you either have it or you don't.

Well, this should make you feel a little better; at #32,  Allen was far from dead last. Hell, he was our teams 4th QB to play. There’s 32 teams, but probably 100 QBs played in games. 

I feel he Has it. I’ll check back after his 2nd season.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

He won't ever be known for his pinpoint accuracy. If he can learn to read defenses correctly his other traits will make up for it. I don't really want to replicate the New England offense. The Kansas City offense makes way more sense for his skill set. Considering all the speed they've added I think that might be the plan.

...and you know this how?.....isn't the jury out versus your assumed skill set of pre-determined judgment?.......what did I miss here?.....

9 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Well, this should make you feel a little better; at #32,  Allen was far from dead last. Hell, he was our teams 4th QB to play. There’s 32 teams, but probably 100 QBs played in games. 

I feel he Has it. I’ll check back after his 2nd season.

No!  You make a decision this moment and either write him off or don’t!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Getting time to set his feet and having familiarity with the playbook. Building chemistry and having improved his receiving corps, I think will all factor into his accuracy improving year two. His foot work which palmer has made a priority should help as well. Will he ever be the most accurate qb in the league, prolly not, but I believe he can become a solid passer. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Virgil said:

Just ask Tyrod CheckDown Taylor... ;) 

Edited by cd1

I like that Allen admits that he was lost at times. Who wouldn't be? Arriving in Buffalo and the NFL and thrust in to a starting role almost immediately. Get off a plane from Wyoming and get handed a play book. I don't know what's harder, his situation, or hitting a 90 mph curveball! He now has a good quarterback coach and game experience in his favor. 

Edited by Rocket94
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...and you know this how?.....isn't the jury out versus your assumed skill set of pre-determined judgment?.......what did I miss here?.....

He's never been a consistently accurate passer and I don't expect that to change. I'm not complaining though. He has to model himself after Mahomes. Mahomes didn't break records with accuracy. He consistently found the open receiver and got it in their vicinity, and his pure arm strength and athleticism did the rest. I don't think Allen's accuracy is as bad as people say, it's good enough for him to be a top QB if he masters everything else. But I don't expect him to hit passes like Brees or Mayfield. That isn't his game.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

He's never been a consistently accurate passer and I don't expect that to change. I'm not complaining though. He has to model himself after Mahomes. Mahomes didn't break records with accuracy. He consistently found the open receiver and got it in their vicinity, and his pure arm strength and athleticism did the rest. I don't think Allen's accuracy is as bad as people say, it's good enough for him to be a top QB if he masters everything else. But I don't expect him to hit passes like Brees or Mayfield. That isn't his game.

I agree with all this but just wanted to ppoint out Mahomes completed 66% of his passes this year.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

...your opinion and we disagree, but respectfully so noted....2019 will be our proving stage....stay tuned....:thumbsup:......

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...your opinion and we disagree, but respectfully so noted....2019 will be our proving stage....stay tuned....:thumbsup:......

I cannot believe all of the scrutiny. The kid admits that he has work to do, he didn't even play a whole season and he didn't have the greatest supporting cast did he! I think that he did remarkably well considering that he was often running for his life. Speaking of accuracy, it is often not accurate to compare him to other QB's. Often times they are playing in different circumstances with different personal.

Edited by Rocket94
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I agree with all this but just wanted to ppoint out Mahomes completed 66% of his passes this year.  

Allen completed 65% of his passes in the last game and was no more accurate than he had been all year. He was finding open receivers to deliver the ball to, and if I remember correctly there were no drops in that game. That's the game I would use to model his path for success. We already know his athleticism, arm strength, and contact balance are elite. If he can read a defense at an above average level he will survive with below average accuracy. I just want to see us build the offense around that skill set. Get receivers that can quickly get open 15 yards down field and let the offense fly.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

Not to mix threads but 

Cam Newton went from 59.7 career % completions to 67.9 in 2018.

it is possible for a QB to be coached into a different way of playing.

JA played “ Hero Ball” in college and here last year.

With improved parts around him and a year under his belt, it shouldn’t be surprising if he bumps that completion percentage up an appreciable amount.

3 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Cam Newton went from 59.7 career % completions to 67.9 in 2018.

Yeah, completion percentage doesn't measure accuracy. It measures your ability to complete a pass. That's it. It takes more than pinpoint accuracy to complete a pass. I don't know why so many people still conflate the two.

Edited by HappyDays

7 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Yeah, completion percentage doesn't measure accuracy. It measures your ability to complete a pass. That's it. It takes more than pinpoint accuracy to complete a pass. I don't know why so many people still conflate the two.

The comparison is based on the fact that neither are “ accurate QBs”.

Cam has also been a guy who drives balls downfield using arm strength and bad mechanics. He was coached by N Turner to take the underneath stuff with McCaffrey.

JA is being coached to scan short to long this year( if reports are correct.)

Edited by Buffalo Boy
  • Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Allen completed 65% of his passes in the last game and was no more accurate than he had been all year. He was finding open receivers to deliver the ball to, and if I remember correctly there were no drops in that game. That's the game I would use to model his path for success. We already know his athleticism, arm strength, and contact balance are elite. If he can read a defense at an above average level he will survive with below average accuracy. I just want to see us build the offense around that skill set. Get receivers that can quickly get open 15 yards down field and let the offense fly.

I’ll add to this. In just 11 starts, ‘Mr. Inaccurate’ led the Bills to two 4th Quarter come from behind WINS -against Tennessee & Detroit. That’s twice as many as Tyrod ‘the 3 year, “Pro Bowl” starter’ Taylor, who preceded him here. He’d have had 2 MORE comeback wins if our overrated Defense could have kept Darnold from topping his late comeback effort vs. NYJ and Charles Clay could have caught a soft pass in his belly -WIDE OPEN in the end zone. Add to this, he was far and away the Best Player on the field in wins @ Minnesota, vs. Miami and Jacksonville. Do I expect improvement in all aspects of his game this year? Of course! Even Scott Law expects improvement.

How much? Like last season, he’ll be held back only by substandard play of teammates.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1