Ted's Film Room: Josh Allen's Rookie Year in Review (TheAthletic article)

Logic

Great article on The Athletic today from Ted Nguyen, who is not a regular Bills reporter and who does a nice little breakdown. If you're a subscriber, check it out. Great little video breakdowns and a pretty fair and balanced take on Allen, reasonably listing his strengths, weakness, and areas of improvement in his rookie year. I'll post a few snippets I thought were interesting, but it won't begin to cover all the ground that Nguyen does in his article.

https://theathletic.com/1072179/2019/07/17/teds-film-room-josh-allens-rookie-year-in-review/

...Allen also threw many passes that were just slightly off and made life harder on his receivers. In Weeks 1-9, Allen ranked tied for 32nd in percentage of attempts that were off target. This didn’t improve much as the season went along. In Weeks 10-17, he ranked 31st in percentage of throws that were off target (34.81 percent).

...Another area where Allen didn’t show much improvement throughout the season was his propensity for turnovers, which he also struggled with in college. In Weeks 1-9, he fumbled the ball four times, threw five interceptions and ranked 31st in turnover-worthy play percentage (3.93 percent). In Weeks 10-17, Allen fumbled four times, threw seven interceptions and ranked 28th in turnover-worthy play rate (3.67 percent). Out of his eight fumbles throughout the season, he only lost two but that’s more of a matter of luck. Learning how to take care of the ball has to be one of his biggest priorities heading into next year.

...Allen’s definition of what is open is different from most quarterbacks because he has the arm strength to fit the ball into tight spaces, but it’s a line that he has to learn how to straddle better. You don’t want to stop being aggressive but you also don’t want 12 interceptions in 320 attempts. His 3.8 interception percentage ranked 32nd in the NFL among quarterbacks who threw at least 14 times per game.

[After returning from injury, Allen] was much better against zone coverage, as he was throwing passes as windows opened rather than after they opened. In Weeks 1-9, his PFF passing grade vs. zone ranked 37th but in Weeks 10-17, his rating against zone jumped to 26th, which still isn’t ideal but is much better given the circumstances. When he combined his ridiculous pass velocity with anticipation, he was able to beat zone coverage in ways that very few quarterbacks could.

...Going back to college, Allen has had trouble identifying blitzes and reacting to them, but he improved throughout his rookie year. In Weeks 1-9, his passer rating vs. the blitz was 54.3. In Weeks 10-17, his rating vs. the blitz climbed to 71.4.

As the season went along, Allen also started completing more “big-time throws” (BTT). PFF defines a BTT as “best described as a pass with excellent ball location and timing, generally thrown further down the field and/or into a tighter window”. This is imperative for Allen because although he’ll miss the occasional throw because of his inaccuracy, he has the arm talent to make up for it by making BTTs.

In Weeks 1-6, Allen only completed 4 BTTs, which ranked tied for 31st. In Weeks 11-17, he completed 12 BTTs, which ranked tied for 9th.

...Overall, Allen was a much more skilled passer than I anticipated from watching his college tape. He made touch throws, threw with anticipation and stood strong in the pocket. Most importantly, he made strides in the mental side of the game as the season went along. His accuracy is still a problem but cleaning up his mechanics should help. He may never be a precise passer but if the Bills weaponize his athletic ability, he could still be extremely effective.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 6

Can't remember which one - but Allen admitted in one interview that he basically didn't know what he was doing his first game against the Chargers - messed up calls etc. - and the down time from his injury and working with Anderson really helped him as the season went on.  Can't wait to see how much he improves after a full offseason.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, stevewin said:

Can't remember which one - but Allen admitted in one interview that he basically didn't know what he was doing his first game against the Chargers - messed up calls etc. - and the down time from his injury and working with Anderson really helped him as the season went on.  Can't wait to see how much he improves after a full offseason.  

Smart move not to start the season with another qb besides a 2nd year one then. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Logic said:

Great article on The Athletic today from Ted Nguyen, who is not a regular Bills reporter and who does a nice little breakdown.
https://theathletic.com/1072179/2019/07/17/teds-film-room-josh-allens-rookie-year-in-review/
...Allen also threw many passes that were just slightly off and made life harder on his receivers. In Weeks 1-9, Allen ranked tied for 32nd in percentage of attempts that were off target. This didn’t improve much as the season went along. In Weeks 10-17, he ranked 31st in percentage of throws that were off target (34.81 percent).

I want to focus in on this.

One of my concerns watching Allen pre-draft was that when he threw way off target, I couldn't tell why - couldn't see what the flaw in technique was.  Apparently Jordan Palmer feels he could diagnose/help.  And yet, at other times, Allen has laser accuracy including when he's throwing across his body off balance.

It needs to be pointed out that when Allen is not just slightly off, but way the heck off, it can be hard for the lay person to tell whether the problem is Allen making a WTF? throw, or the WR not running the route Allen expects (a misread of the D between QB and WR).  I believe that was the case in several of the plays compiled in the "inaccuracy" clip in that article.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

One of my concerns watching Allen pre-draft was that when he threw way off target, I couldn't tell why - couldn't see what the flaw in technique was.  Apparently Jordan Palmer feels he could diagnose/help.  And yet, at other times, Allen has laser accuracy including when he's throwing across his body off balance.

It needs to be pointed out that when Allen is not just slightly off, but way the heck off, it can be hard for the lay person to tell whether the problem is Allen making a WTF? throw, or the WR not running the route Allen expects (a misread of the D between QB and WR).  I believe that was the case in several of the plays compiled in the "inaccuracy" clip in that article.

Excellent point.  Can professionals determine this?  Or is it up to the WR, HC or QB to tell? - Which they wouldn't.

3 hours ago, stevewin said:

Here is part of the interview and link. 

https://buffalonews.com/2019/05/30/josh-allen-buffalo-bills-chris-sims-first-start-chargers-houston-texans-interview/

“Did not know where my hots were,” Allen told Simms. “It was bad news. They were bringing Derwin James off the end and he got to me a couple times.”

“After that game, I kind of sat down with Dabs and we went over everything and making sure I knew my protection rules, I knew where my hots were, if there was a hot built in,” Allen said, referring to offensive coordinator Brian Daboll. “We kind of based it upon ourselves and not really what the defense was doing, but just trying to be right on our end.”

“That was my first start,” Allen said. “I was trying to change the protection. I said different words than what they actually meant and what I actually meant to say. The line was all discombobulated. It was all my fault, and there was nothing I could do about it. It was just kind of one of those baptism by fire deals.”

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 7/17/2019 at 6:44 PM, Gugny said:

Excellent point.  Can professionals determine this?  Or is it up to the WR, HC or QB to tell? - Which they wouldn't.

Sometimes the player will dish - has happened several times, not with Allen/Bills yet that I've seen, but years ago TJ Graham (I think) admitted he ran the wrong route on an INT.

Sometimes a commentator with a good amount of playing and coaching experience can make an educated guess, especially if they watch a lot of film on a given offensive system.  The route trees and route options in response to different D coverage are fairly standard, which enables this.  There was a missed TD assessed by Cover1 last year where he commented that Zay was running the route dictated by one defensive coverage, but Allen was throwing to the route dictated by another (I don't recall who was correct - I think it was Allen).  That wasn't his main point in the commentary, it was to break down how Allen was progressing in his reads and that he was improving in that aspect.

Sometimes a novice who watches a lot of film, usually coaches film, can make an educated guess - the receiver hesitates and looks for the ball at a place in his route, then continues but doesn't make it to where the ball is thrown.  You can guess that the WR and QB probably made a different read on the route option given how they saw the D coverage.

I do think it's telling that our WR coach was sent packing. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

This really doesn't make me feel better about the accuracy issue.  To be dead last in these metrics and not much better even after the break is tough to read.  I get that short throws will help with that, but I always wonder just how much a QB can increase their overall accuracy.  I feel like you either have it or you don't.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

This really doesn't make me feel better about the accuracy issue.  To be dead last in these metrics and not much better even after the break is tough to read.  I get that short throws will help with that, but I always wonder just how much a QB can increase their overall accuracy.  I feel like you either have it or you don't.

Bad offensive line and bad receivers surely contributed to any struggles Allen had. With more talent around him I bet we'll see slot of his struggles cure themselves.

On 7/17/2019 at 7:24 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I recall a throw that missed a wide open Zay Jones in the end zone against the Dolphins...at first I remember being upset that it was such an inaccurate pass...but after the game both players pointed out miscommunication as to whether Jones was supposed to hold up or keep running across the back of the end zone.

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

I believe confidence helps accuracy.  As Allen is more confident in what he sees and has more confidence in who he's throwing to, I think the accuracy will improve.

Some will label me a "homer" for that statement but I think it applies to any QB.

• Like (+1) 3

On 7/17/2019 at 4:42 PM, stevewin said:

...EXACTLY why I like this kid.....humble, mindful and respectful of the game......he is learning what he has to correct to get better and certainly works his tail off to do so (ie. Professor Palmer).....his quote, "OUR team and OUR family" exemplifies his persona.....sure I'm probably a staid, old school crustacean, but 3 guys in recent memory have earned my LOATHE label as in RG II 5/8, Kaep and Cam.....RG II5/8 and Cam had NO problem stepping up to the podium after a "W" and talking about "ME" as THE reason.....same podium after a "L" and teammates were under the bus in a nanosecond....Kaep's immaturity got him wrapped in tats 'n poses as his focal point because of early on success, forgetting what the hell he was getting PAID FOR....Allen falling into those scenarios?.....strictly my opinion, but I will say "not a chance" until proven otherwise.........

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

I expect:

60% completions 

37,500 yards

22 TD

12 INT

Given his knowledge of the offense and increased talent around him, I think this seems reasonable.

I don't know man. 37,500 yards in a season seems a bit lofty.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

21 minutes ago, eball said:

I believe confidence helps accuracy.  As Allen is more confident in what he sees and has more confidence in who he's throwing to, I think the accuracy will improve.

Some will label me a "homer" for that statement but I think it applies to any QB.

Not to mention “you have it or you don’t” can mean more than just throwing some passes. I feel like it’s almost clear that Allen is a gamer and has “it”. He’s just got to get his confidence and familiarity with his WRs. 

13 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

I expect:

60% completions 

37,500 yards

22 TD

12 INT

Given his knowledge of the offense and increased talent around him, I think this seems reasonable.

I’ll take 37,000 yards any season. 

Edited by mrags
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Virgil said:

It's a big hurdle to overcome, for sure. I know a lot of posters on here are adamant that the inaccuracy is non-existent, similar to most, or a result of a combination of factors, but I think the kid just isn't going to be an accurate QB. That being said, as the article states, it's up to Allen and Daboll to exploit the areas that Allen excels at, which could result in a quality starter.

This season is so pivotal for the Bills. Beane and Allen are tied at the hip and the progress that Allen makes, or doesn't make, will most likely set the table for the next 3-5 seasons.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Only 234 yards a game...may be the homer in me but I think Josh has it in him ?

Dude, more like 2,340. But maybe. Don't think our wr corps is quite that good, though.

Edited by Dr. Who
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Dr. Who said:

Dude, more like 2,340. But maybe. Don't think our wr is quite that good, though.

This. If Allen can sling it for 2,340 per game, I'll grudgingly concede that he's a franchise quarterback.

• Haha (+1) 3