SI Predicts 2019 Records

On 7/19/2019 at 11:23 AM, BADOLBILZ said:

"This roster needs to be seriously overhauled"...........said no one when Rex was fired.

McBeane created that narrative from scratch..........much to the delight of SB contending teams all around the NFL.:thumbsup:

Same with the salary cap nonsense..........Beane in an interview the other day said that he "warned" The Pegs it would take "2-3 years" to clean up the salary cap "mess".........and then patted himself on the back for getting it done in just 2.?    The guy created the LARGEST AMOUNT OF DEAD MONEY by one team in one offseason in NFL history!...........OF COURSE he totally re-set the Bills cap in 2 offseasons.:doh:   Hilarious.  :lol:   

The Bills salary cap issues were relatively minor........they still had average money to spend in FA and they always figured to have plenty of extra cap space in 2019-2020 when the old men McCoy/Wood/Clay type contracts would surely all be off the books.   But somehow ended up having to replace all of Nix and Whaley's remaining top picks(except Shaq!) AND doubled down on Wood and McCoy and lost. 

I hope these guys make it but if not expect a lot more of that kind of manipulating of the truth from McBeane as they try to buy more time to learn from their mistakes.

But McBeane does make the draft fun ! It's the autumn where all hope ends, again

On 7/18/2019 at 7:22 PM, LSHMEAB said:

That's exactly where I'm at. His FA acquisitions have not been good. Period. I get it. They chose to rebuild. But I expect to see serious progress this season. He's made a clear and distinct footprint on this team, so it's his now. If the FA acquisitions pan out and Allen/Edmunds progress, there's reason for optimism. If not, I'll probably lose faith in the process. But that's just me. I need to see it THIS season.

Revisionism is a "heck" of a drug. Results in 2019 should be EXPECTED. 

I expect Allen to improve. I am more worried about Edmunds. If his play regresses and he gets caught up in a situational need, he may be groomed for the outside.

Edited by Rocket94
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

I expect Allen to improve. I am more worried about Edmunds. If his play regresses and he gets caught up in a situational need, he may be groomed for the outside.

Also concerned with Edmunds, but I don't think it would take much grooming time if it doesn't work out at MLB. His only issue is recognition and excellence in this category is not critical at OLB. He'd be an All Pro OLB IMO.

Just now, LSHMEAB said:

Also concerned with Edmunds, but I don't think it would take much grooming time if it doesn't work out at MLB. His only issue is recognition and excellence in this category is not critical at OLB. He'd be an All Pro OLB IMO.

I agree (what do I know) but after last season's showing, I would get him on the outside now. I don't know if his recognition skills are inherently lacking, or will game experience help him as it should. Yeah...I believe that he would be a force on the outside.

• Thank you (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Also. I know that we have discussed Joseph several times before, but I often think of him. I know from watching him that he possesses Pro Bowl talent. I hope the heck that he gets it and matures. Being instinctual and cerebral play a big part...can he follow assignments and stay in position. 

Edited by Rocket94

On 7/19/2019 at 2:23 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

"This roster needs to be seriously overhauled"...........said no one when Rex was fired.

McBeane created that narrative from scratch..........much to the delight of SB contending teams all around the NFL.:thumbsup:

Same with the salary cap nonsense..........Beane in an interview the other day said that he "warned" The Pegs it would take "2-3 years" to clean up the salary cap "mess".........and then patted himself on the back for getting it done in just 2.?    The guy created the LARGEST AMOUNT OF DEAD MONEY by one team in one offseason in NFL history!...........OF COURSE he totally re-set the Bills cap in 2 offseasons.:doh:   Hilarious.  :lol:   

The Bills salary cap issues were relatively minor........they still had average money to spend in FA and they always figured to have plenty of extra cap space in 2019-2020 when the old men McCoy/Wood/Clay type contracts would surely all be off the books.   But somehow ended up having to replace all of Nix and Whaley's remaining top picks(except Shaq!) AND doubled down on Wood and McCoy and lost. 

I hope these guys make it but if not expect a lot more of that kind of manipulating of the truth from McBeane as they try to buy more time to learn from their mistakes.

The Bills didn't have much cap space prior to the 2017 FA period ($18M) and had a bunch of FA's.  They made moves that many perceived as tanking, but they wound up making the playoffs.  Last year was a step back for several reasons, so instead of year 1 being the rebuilding year, year 2 was.  We'll see how year 3 goes after clearing tons of cap room and adding talent.

As for last season, the inordinate amount of dead cap was mostly the result of culture change (Dareus), an unexpected retirement (Wood) and trying to secure their QB of the future (Tyrod and Glenn).  Those 4 players accounted for almost 2/3 of the dead cap.

17 hours ago, MOVALLEYRANDY said:

But McBeane does make the draft fun ! It's the autumn where all hope ends, again

Did you think that way in autumn of 2017?

Edited by Doc

It’s weird that some fans think a team can be built in a year.

Beane has a clear vision, imo.  We don’t know if it’s a successful one yet, but giving him 2 years is hardly giving too much “slack.”  

I like Ike the way he’s building the team.  Whaley was splashier and more top heavy.  Beane is all about building strong depth, which has clearly been a successful formula in the league.

12 hours ago, Rocket94 said:

Also. I know that we have discussed Joseph several times before, but I often think of him. I know from watching him that he possesses Pro Bowl talent. I hope the heck that he gets it and matures. Being instinctual and cerebral play a big part...can he follow assignments and stay in position. 

So, you wanna replace Edmunds in the middle with someone who hasn't played a down in the NFL yet?

Did I read this wrong? If not, Joseph will have to have a preseason for the record books if he is going to man the middle of the D instead of Edmunds.

3 hours ago, njbuff said:

So, you wanna replace Edmunds in the middle with someone who hasn't played a down in the NFL yet?

Did I read this wrong? If not, Joseph will have to have a preseason for the record books if he is going to man the middle of the D instead of Edmunds.

In time Edmunds maybe moved outside. This team is still in the midst of a rebuild.

16 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

If moving Edmunds outside were to happen, who is ready to step up in the middle? This remains to be seen.

Just now, Rocket94 said:

So you feel this team is set? In my opinion we need one more strong draft to fortify the roster leaving no doubt. As usual, there are a lot of question marks.

I think the defense is set.  ST's as well assuming Hauschka is back to form.  On offense, they rebuilt the OL and added weapons in the pass and run game and they got their QB last year.  It's up to Josh to become the franchise QB they envisioned.  Sure another off-season and draft should solidify it, but they have the pieces to be a playoff team at least this year.

7 minutes ago, Doc said:

I think the defense is set.  ST's as well assuming Hauschka is back to form.  On offense, they rebuilt the OL and added weapons in the pass and run game and they got their QB last year.  It's up to Josh to become the franchise QB they envisioned.  Sure another off-season and draft should solidify it, but they have the pieces to be a playoff team at least this year.

Oh yeah...I like what is happening. Of course the progress of Allen is crucial, the new OL, Oliver's input and so many other factors. Allen has more weapons and I like John Brown. I am anxious to see how the defensive line performs. It is important that the Bills get off to a good start.

On 7/18/2019 at 12:20 PM, SoTier said:

The "more talent at O-line and WR" should make those units at least NFL-caliber in 2019.  That doesn't mean they'll be good or even average, just that they won't be nearly as poor as they were last season because for the most part, the Bills didn't sign top caliber OLers or WRs.   Moreover, there's no guarantee that Allen improves enough to make him a competent QB.  Trent Edwards was a well spoken, respectful hard working bust.  So was Nathan Peterman (which is really hard for a fifth rounder, but the Bills tried to make him into something he couldn't be and he failed, ergo, a bust).

Also, don't forget that the Bills opponents also added talent to their rosters, some significantly.

Why don’t you finally just have the stones to admit you want the Bills to lose so you can crow about it on a message board?

Some of his predictions are puzzling (like the Jets; Gase is a good HC??) but all meaningless.  No reason to get worked up about it.

Edited by oldmanfan
  • Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Doc said:

The Bills didn't have much cap space prior to the 2017 FA period ($18M) and had a bunch of FA's.  They made moves that many perceived as tanking, but they wound up making the playoffs.  Last year was a step back for several reasons, so instead of year 1 being the rebuilding year, year 2 was.  We'll see how year 3 goes after clearing tons of cap room and adding talent.

As for last season, the inordinate amount of dead cap was mostly the result of culture change (Dareus), an unexpected retirement (Wood) and trying to secure their QB of the future (Tyrod and Glenn).  Those 4 players accounted for almost 2/3 of the dead cap.

Did you think that way in autumn of 2017?

In the 2017 offseason I was promoting the fact that they had a lot of older players on soon-expiring contracts and few large commitments down the road and would be able to retain anyone of their young core that they needed to.     It's not hard.......the cap is malleable if you have lot's of space down the road.........which they ALWAYS had.    

They chose to play "cash to the cap" because it suited the narrative that the roster needed to be dissected.    Donahoe did something similar...........he took advantage of the cap chaos to unnecessarily cut Ted Washington because he didn't fit GW's defense.    Then *miraculously* he had saved the Bills from their cap crisis and was back shopping in free agency the following offseason.:rolleyes:   

If their jobs were on the line you could rest assured they would have been front loading deals to keep the roster from being depleted as it transitioned and the core of prime age players was getting paid.  

They inherited a talented but poorly coached roster that was ready to be a 10-11 win team by sheer force of talent.........they CHOSE to reset and clear the decks of the prime age talent so that they would have 3-5 years instead of being judged in 1-2 years like any coach/GM combo would be in a situation where they inherited talent and expectations.    You could argue that they didn't have the QB to lead them to a SB but having a perennial "divisional round ceiling" didn't stop KC and Houston from getting their franchise QB's of the future.  

And btw...........the dead money from Wood was due to an unnecessary extension that Beane gave him.     His deal was set to expire.   That was poorly played.   He wasn't going anywhere in FA.     And the Dareus dead money PLUS the "walking dead" money that they gave Star Lotulelei only massively compounded the stupid money spent on the DT1T position.    But the thing was that they were going to have TONS of cap room in 2019 and beyond all along.    Even if they kept Gilmore and Woods and Dareus and picked up Watkins option etc..  

And the way they've spent their money to this point is very dubious.   18 UFA's this offseason........many with concerning past health issues.   Hopefully it works out but the 2018 UFA class was basically an 0-9 in terms of return on investment.    There have been no Tyrod from Ravens or Lorax or Zach Brown type value signings since Beane arrived.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 7/17/2019 at 3:06 PM, RoyBatty is alive said:

Has the Jets at 9-7, after a 4 win 2018, wowzer, Adam Gase for coach of the year.

I really don't get the gase love going around. He's done nothing without Peyton Manning at QB and running the offense. He was a loser in Miami, disliked by player and staff alike, and the numbers are against him in being a HC going to another team immediately (it's not gone well for other coaches who don't take time off/another position). 

They have no receivers (worse off than the Bills even) and the tight end who showed some promise last season is suspended for 4 games. Their offensive line looks grim, but hey they have Bell...I guess?

On top of that, Gregg William's defense have ranked poorly since the mid 2000s and worse since his return to football. Their secondary outside of Adams is a disaster. Their d-line is questionable and seems to be hoping that Q williams can carry the whole thing. 

8 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

I really don't get the gase love going around. He's done nothing without Peyton Manning at QB and running the offense. He was a loser in Miami, disliked by player and staff alike, and the numbers are against him in being a HC going to another team immediately (it's not gone well for other coaches who don't take time off/another position). 

They have no receivers (worse off than the Bills even) and the tight end who showed some promise last season is suspended for 4 games. Their offensive line looks grim, but hey they have Bell...I guess?

On top of that, Gregg William's defense have ranked poorly since the mid 2000s and worse since his return to football. Their secondary outside of Adams is a disaster. Their d-line is questionable and seems to be hoping that Q williams can carry the whole thing. 

Gase has a higher winning % than SM.  And I think the people who “defend” Gase are just doing it because people keep saying how terrible he is.  If he connects with Darnold (his qbs besides Peyton have been terrible), the Jets could be a solid team. They also have elite players on each level of their defense.  I think the Jets and the Bills are dead even and whatever qb shows the most growth will make the leap.

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Gase has a higher winning % than SM.  And I think the people who “defend” Gase are just doing it because people keep saying how terrible he is.  If he connects with Darnold (his qbs besides Peyton have been terrible), the Jets could be a solid team. They also have elite players on each level of their defense.  I think the Jets and the Bills are dead even and whatever qb shows the most growth will make the leap.

Yeah, the Jets and Bills look very similar and the opener will tell us a lot.  I give the Bills the edge because I like Allen and Mc Dermott a lot more than Gase and Darnold.

• Like (+1) 1