SI Predicts 2019 Records

7 minutes ago, BubbaT said:

I like when national publications/prognosticators/"experts" disregard us. The narrative is Buffalo is always mediocre and the QB isn't very good. I see more positives  here than I have in quite a while (which might be damning with faint praise) but I like when expectations from the national press are kept low. Sneaking up on other fan bases and their teams is a fun way to go.

Yeah, they've been wrong about the Bills sooooo often ... especially when predicting the team making the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Devilmann said:

Let their contracts play out I think McBeane deserves that. What’s one year after dealing with all the other garbage gm and coaches that have been here. 

Why?  What did giving Jauron and Gailey extra time give us?  Honestly, if it wasn’t for a fluke playoff berth (which we as fans deserved), there has been a bunch of bad football their first 2 years.

i swear a regime has never been given as much of a pass as them.  People love to hate on Whaley but his rosters after 3 years was stronger than this current roster after 3 years, minus Josh Allen turning into a franchise qb.  Our offense has been brutal and for some reasons, fans just ignore it because McBeane are nice guys. 

12 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

They'd be right the last 19 years.

Yeah,  I don’t get why fans get mad about this.  Would we have picked the Browns to be good the last 15 years?   The Bills have been the feisty team that doesn’t have a ton of talent, crappy qbs that scrap their way to 6-9 wins.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Meh, another instance of the media giving the Jets too much credit; they forget Adam Gase is the HC.  SI also has the Vikings winning the NFC North over the Bears as well as Atlanta winning the NFC South over the Saints; neither of which should happen.

We just had the best two offseasons we have put back to back in about 15 years. We have the most talented roster we've had in about 15 years. They won't be 6-10 unless we have injuries at key positions. The talk of firing everyone off of a hypothetical SI article is laughable. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Has he?   He spent a fortune in draft picks and talent to get Allen, and if the Bills go 6-10, without serious injuries to key players then it's probably because Allen hasn't grown into a franchise QB as hoped for -- and isn't likely to develop into more than a modest mid/low level starting QB.  The Bills have had several of those over the last 2 decades.   He's also spent more draft capital trading up in both his drafts, so unless those picks prove out this season, then he didn't get much for the extra investment.

Except for Morse, none of his FA or trade acquisitions have been impressive.  Some, like Benjamin, have been terrible.  He over paid for mediocre talent like Lotulelei, and we're still waiting to see if Murphy can regain his pre-injury form.

Yes, he absolutely has. What’s a better offseason that you can remember in the last 15 years than the two Beane has orchestrated? Prior regimes did not give a bunch of draft picks to go and get their guy, they waited and panicked (Losman) or they reached massively (Manuel). Going up and getting their guy would have been giving up whatever it took to get Rothlisberger rather than panicking and getting Losman. By all reports that’s what happened to Arizona last year as well, how did Rosen work out in their minds? 

The free agent signings, that’s the nature of the free agent game, you overpay for mediocre talent. Beane identified holes and moved to fill them. What past GM’s have done that? I remember being able to sleep through free agency because you knew the Bills were getting bargain bin trash. In addition to that, most of these contracts are crafted so that the Bills can exit relatively painlessly. How was the Dareus contract structured? Don’t we wish Beane was at the helm during that time. 

In general, the proof is often in the pudding. For my money, Beane has done his job. He has filled holes as best he can and as economically as available. He has drafted well and is not afraid to go up and grab someone he wants. Give me Beane over A LOT of the GM’s in the league right now (Gettlemen running the Giants anyone?). In addition, even if Allen busts and doesn’t improve any further, he is still the most fun QB we have had the pleasure of watching in a long, long time. 

Edited by Bills2ref
  • Thank you (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, H2o said:

We just had the best two offseasons we have put back to back in about 15 years. We have the most talented roster we've had in about 15 years. They won't be 6-10 unless we have injuries at key positions. The talk of firing everyone off of a hypothetical SI article is laughable. 

The Mario offseason was way better.  

40 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Meh, another instance of the media giving the Jets too much credit; they forget Adam Gase is the HC.  SI also has the Vikings winning the NFC North over the Bears as well as Atlanta winning the NFC South over the Saints; neither of which should happen.

Gase might be a weirdo but he has a high winning % than McDermott.  Honestly, I think the Bills and Jets are basically the same team.  It will depend on which Qb progresses more this year. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Gase might be a weirdo but he has a high winning % than McDermott.  Honestly, I think the Bills and Jets are basically the same team.  It will depend on which Qb progresses more this year. 

Fair point.  I do like the Jets Dline better as well as Greggo as DC.

2 hours ago, Bills2ref said:

Unless there a package deal, if the team regresses this year, I would get rid of McDermott before Beane. This team is fairly well constructed. IMO Beane has done pretty darn good as a GM. It isn’t his job to get the talent to play well, it is his job to get the talent. He has done that. 

I know this is not a popular opinion, but McDermott has proven more as a HC than Beane has as a GM. The draft is a crapshoot. Allen and Edmunds have all the talent in the world, something Beane covets, but there's no guarantee that poor coaching would be the only reason they don't perform well. They both demonstrated some big potential, but also quite a few flaws. Beane has not been successful in the FA arena up to this point. He's been hamstrung by the cap by design, so this season's FA signings will be very telling.

McDermott took a 5-11 roster to the playoffs. Yes, they were 9-7. Yes, they got "lucky," but he did a terrific job of winning the games they needed to win, including some surprising upsets like AT Atlanta. The going for a tie was his most egregious mistake that season, so let's hope he's learned from it.

This is a big season for both.

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, H2o said:

Omg, are we really talking about firing McDermott/Beane before the season begins?:rolleyes:

Some people don't care when the season starts. They simply always want to burn it all down so they can pull out their Fisher Price GM Head Coach Decoder Ring to explain what THEY would do if THEY were GM/Head Coach and not some Wegman's meat department stay-at-home son.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

2 hours ago, SoTier said:

Has he?   He spent a fortune in draft picks and talent to get Allen, and if the Bills go 6-10, without serious injuries to key players then it's probably because Allen hasn't grown into a franchise QB as hoped for -- and isn't likely to develop into more than a modest mid/low level starting QB.  The Bills have had several of those over the last 2 decades.   He's also spent more draft capital trading up in both his drafts, so unless those picks prove out this season, then he didn't get much for the extra investment.

Except for Morse, none of his FA or trade acquisitions have been impressive.  Some, like Benjamin, have been terrible.  He over paid for mediocre talent like Lotulelei, and we're still waiting to see if Murphy can regain his pre-injury form.

He spent less for Allen than we spent for Watkins IMO

44 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

Some people don't care when the season starts. They simply always want to burn it all down so they can pull out their Fisher Price GM Head Coach Decoder Ring to explain what THEY would do if THEY were GM/Head Coach and not some Wegman's meat department stay-at-home son.

I miss Wegmans.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

They'd be right the last 19 years.

Yep the Bills have only existed for the past 19 years. No history at all prior to that. No experiences somewhat similar to how it looks going in to camp. You told me you grizzled vet you.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....why not....we could get Russ, Whaley & Wrecks back on a group discount......they "laid" the ground work for McBeane and McDermott, right?..............

Scottlaw’s dream. Bring Sammy back too. :lol:

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Was never a big fan of any of those guys(Outside of Sammy). 

Hey, it's still early in the process, we could very well be yearning for the good old days of Whaley if this SI prediction holds true. ?

They could go 0-16 and I would still never ever miss anyone of Ralph’s stooges.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1