How frequently do you go to beaches?

Another Fan

1 hour ago, Steve O said:

30 years ago we would play 2-man volleyball almost every day at Charlotte beach in Rochester. As others have mentioned, almost no beach left either at Charlotte or Durand, and what there is isn't very inviting.

Same place, same era. Great volleyball scene was developing in Rochester with Cal and the PACE teams back then. 

On topic, go to the beach often during the summer and my parents live on Lake Erie not too far from Crystal Beach. Great beaching there. 

Edited by BeginnersMind
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

As an adult I went to the beaches in Va, OBX snf Key West for over 2 decades in the 80's through the early 2000's 

Once we moved to Florida I hardly went to the beach.  Now I make it there once every 4 or 5 years.

Of course living in Rochester ...  I was at the beaches of Lake Ontario most weekends.

Of course living in Seabreeze ..  I was at the beach of Lake Ontario and the Bay every other day

Seabreeze is home to honestly one of the best "beach bars" in the world.  Marge's Lakeside!

I used to love going there.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, coloradobillsfan said:

Not many beaches out here, at least for the last 66 million years or so

But how about when you were young?   ?

We lived in Hilton Head Island, SC and Sarasota, FL for 30 years. I usually only went to the beach when company came to town. Many moons ago I’d run my Goldens off leash in HHI, but those days are long gone. 

Toward the end when I knew we were leaving FL, I’d skip out on more work and head to the beach any time I was close. I didn’t want to leave there. Friends from church would do a big beach cookout around sunset monthly.  Made many close friends there, some of them joining us for a cruise from Spain to Portugal leaving next month. (I’ll probably reference that Windstar trip a couple dozen more times before leaving, I’m looking forward to the trip and the reunion.) 

We went back to Hilton Head a few weeks ago, as we do every year or two. I met my wife there, our kids were born there, and much of my family is buried there. I went to the beach, but it wasn’t at the top of my list of things to do. But it was awesome! 

Edited by Augie
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Not so much any more.  I loved beaches when I was younger, but have become a mountain person as I have grown older.  Beaches are kind of boring.

Beaches are where you go when it’s hot. Mountains are where you go to get away from hot. 

1 minute ago, Augie said:

Beaches are where you go when it’s hot. Mountains are where you go to get away from hot. 

And I don't like hot.  Winter is my favorite season; I love skiing and snowboarding.

1 minute ago, Happy Gilmore said:

And I don't like hot.  Winter is my favorite season; I love skiing and snowboarding.

You and @plenzmd1 may have a genetic defect!    Jk

To each their own. I love summer, as I love to get a good sweat in. Fall is maybe my favorite, with football and nice crisp weather. You can open the house up...it’s glorious. BUT the dread of winter is a wet blanket. It’s like a horrible job that makes you feel ill Sunday morning for the dread of Monday. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Not so much any more.  I loved beaches when I was younger, but have become a mountain person as I have grown older.  Beaches are kind of boring.

Yeah, micro bikinis are boring.

?

• Haha (+1) 1

Or annual week trip to Carolina Beach, NC is the highlight of our year. We get a condo right on the ocean. It's a terrific spot. Water is warm and clean and rental prices are still affordable.

We might do a day trip to Hampton Beach, NH occasionally. It's only 45 minutes from the house. It's usually crowded and the water temperature is still cold enough to kill you, even in July. Plus the boardwalk is tacky.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

16 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Hate it.

Never.  Okay.  Maybe not never.  Beaches are human cesspools.  Look at the guy who just got vibrio down in Florida.  Mix in human idiocy, now you are cooking with gas.

https://nypost.com/2019/07/12/man-contracts-flesh-eating-bacteria-during-beach-trip-with-family-dies-48-hours-later/amp/

That's a recent development because humans can't stop sh***ing up the environment. It's a wake up call.

18 hours ago, Zaso Art Designs said:

Sylvan Beach, NY is a great beach! Also Million Dollar Beach in Lake George, NY is great as well! 

Wasn't Onieda Lake a toxic dump?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

That's a recent development because humans can't stop sh***ing up the environment. It's a wake up call.

And too many people moving to coasts.  Can't sustain the numbers.  Time to take two feet and move back to where they came from.

States like Florida have to stop incentiveizing moving there.  The environment can't handle the population explosion... The infrastructure, like sewage treatment can't handle it either... Especially when the burden falls on the rest of the states.

Stop going to these fithy beaches and tourism will dry up... Maybe they will stop relying on the Fed to pay and they will institute a state income tax.  All of Central Florida is handled down the Mid-Florida Ridge and  processed out Okeechobee... No wonder it's a cesspool... People at Disney have to take a dump... It's gotta go somewhere!

It's a tug of war.  States like Florida leach off the Federal government... Then the Fed has to pander to corporations, big Ag like Big Sugar to recoup an economic benefit for the rest of the nation.  No wonder the beachs are filthy down there... Choked with toxic algae... 

...It simply starts with too many people in too small an area.  We need to stop making it an incentive to move there.

/end_filthy_beach_rant 

LoL...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Like (+1) 1