Baldy's Breakdown (Tremaine Edmunds)

22 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Bado -

Very insightful, until you get to the end.  Keuchly already has had his share of concussions, so his playing time may be less than you might think, for exactly the reasons you give about Edmunds.

The concussion risk is hard to measure.  But for the concussion risk, it would be foolish to move Edmunds to the outside, because the middle is more important and he projects to be an all-time great in the middle.  He almost certainly will add weight, so he should be a good run stopper to go with his fantastic ability to cover space in the middle passing game.  He's a fantastic weapon.  

But as you say, the important question for him and for the Bills is do you want a fantastic weapon in the middle for two or three years or a wicked outside linebacker for eight or ten?  If Edmunds' concussions are behind him, he should stay in the middle.  If he's going to have more, he should move.  Tough call.  

Oh I know Keuchly is getting busted up but when healthy you know for a fact that he is really good in a McDefense.

I think he's probably got a couple very good years left but with all the concussions who knows.

This season his cap number jumps up greatly and the thing with MLB's is that if they aren't GREAT and the team isn't winning those cap hits will draw attention.    It's one of those positions where it's easy for a team to think they could get by with less for a fraction of the cost.  

I wouldn't be shocked to see Julian Stanford start a lot of games for the Bills at MLB either........he is a great athlete and in the physical mold of what a lot of teams are looking for in a MLB or ILB now himself and was fine as a sub for Edmunds when he was out concussed last season.    If Edmunds gets hurt or struggles I'd rather see 2-3 games of Stanford at the position before making a trade.   

The Panthers have the potential to be a mess this year though so combined with the uncertainty about Edmunds at the position it bears consideration.   

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

@BADOLBILZ, we have very similar view on Edmunds..and i was surprised to see we have the same view on Stanford. I must be getting dumb in my age?

Just wising up it must be.:thumbsup:

Stanford is a tremendous athlete.   Doesn't mean he's up to being a regular MLB'er but he came to the Bills with a rep as a guy who just needed a chance and he looked good when he got it.   Also at some point you need to find bargain producers.   Not going to be able to go out in FA and spend $4M-$10M on every position of need.........gotta' find some veteran producers on the cheap to stay ahead of the salary cap game.

• Haha (+1) 1

17 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I just don’t think Hughes or Murphy are good enough

Another solid take!

You can critique a lot of things about the Bills, but it's hard to fathom including Hughes' play as one of them.

1 hour ago, eball said:

Another solid take!

You can critique a lot of things about the Bills, but it's hard to fathom including Hughes' play as one of them.

If Oliver is as advertised I think his presence ensures Hughes gets home 3 or 4 more times this year. 

Im cautiously optimistic we finally see another double digit sack season out of Jerry. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/17/2019 at 12:45 PM, Logic said:

It may sound crazy, but the loss of Taron Johnson really hurt the run defense, too. Johnson is a fearless and productive tackler. Whenever the Bills were in nickel personnel, he was almost like a third linebacker out there, in terms of run support. His return to the starting lineup this season will be an added boost to the run defense.

Agreed.....and improving the secondary as a whole also helps because injuries are just gonna happen.

Didn’t see the Extended version posted. He had lots of those wow flashes, especially in closing speed, I remember a lateral to a RB that would normally be a big gain and he was there in a split second for the tackle Behind the line.

On 7/18/2019 at 12:42 PM, C.Biscuit97 said:

We lack that elite pass rusher like they have.  I just don’t think Hughes or Murphy are good enough.  Still a lot of very good pieces on the defense. 

....so we gratuitously extended him for the helluva it?......SMH.....desperation move..........

On 7/19/2019 at 6:29 AM, eball said:

Another solid take!

You should try watching other nfl teams besides the Bills.  Most fan bases won’t be doing backflips over 22 sacks in 4 years (but he gets so close sometimes!!!).  Hughes is fine but he’s completely overrated here.  

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

You should try watching other nfl teams besides the Bills.  Most fan bases won’t be doing backflips over 22 sacks in 4 years (but he gets so close sometimes!!!).  Hughes is fine but he’s completely overrated here.  

So childish. Grow up. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I like Hughes but you know if he was an unrestricted free agent the same people would be citing that as "easily replaceable".............it's the old "team control-ability" curve.  

On 7/18/2019 at 9:57 AM, BADOLBILZ said:

Oh I know Keuchly is getting busted up but when healthy you know for a fact that he is really good in a McDefense.

I think he's probably got a couple very good years left but with all the concussions who knows.

This season his cap number jumps up greatly and the thing with MLB's is that if they aren't GREAT and the team isn't winning those cap hits will draw attention.    It's one of those positions where it's easy for a team to think they could get by with less for a fraction of the cost.  

I wouldn't be shocked to see Julian Stanford start a lot of games for the Bills at MLB either........he is a great athlete and in the physical mold of what a lot of teams are looking for in a MLB or ILB now himself and was fine as a sub for Edmunds when he was out concussed last season.    If Edmunds gets hurt or struggles I'd rather see 2-3 games of Stanford at the position before making a trade.   

The Panthers have the potential to be a mess this year though so combined with the uncertainty about Edmunds at the position it bears consideration.   

The bills appear to have some nice depth this year at a lot of positions

36 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I like Hughes but you know if he was an unrestricted free agent the same people would be citing that as "easily replaceable".............it's the old "team control-ability" curve.  

Hughes is not elite in the sack dept but I think he has actually improved as a run stop guy

• Like (+1) 1