Baldy's Breakdown (Tremaine Edmunds)

When McD drafted a 6'5 250 LB rangy LBr these are the type of disrupting plays he envisioned

Far from a finished product and he needs to trust his instincts but even when he diagnosis wrong he has the athleticism to make up for it

It's awfully hard to throw over a long dude like Tremaine in the middle and he's great in blitz situations

Super excited for year 2

• Like (+1) 19
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

As I've been saying all along, the Bills knew their chances of truly competing last season were slim and as a result they got a somewhat raw guy like Tremaine a "free" year of starting experience in the NFL.  I think it is a mistake to equate some of Edmunds' "struggles" last year (particularly against the run) with the notion that he is not "instinctive" or won't be a top level MLB.  The dude was 20 and was tasked with running the defense!

There are some great parallels between Edmunds and Allen, actually.  Two raw prospects with oodles of talent who both got "thrown into the fire" last season with mixed results but who showed a lot of promise as the season wore on.

Excited to see what year two brings for both of these guys.

• Like (+1) 15
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, eball said:

As I've been saying all along, the Bills knew their chances of truly competing last season were slim and as a result they got a somewhat raw guy like Tremaine a "free" year of starting experience in the NFL.  I think it is a mistake to equate some of Edmunds' "struggles" last year (particularly against the run) with the notion that he is not "instinctive" or won't be a top level MLB.  The dude was 20 and was tasked with running the defense!

There are some great parallels between Edmunds and Allen, actually.  Two raw prospects with oodles of talent who both got "thrown into the fire" last season with mixed results but who showed a lot of promise as the season wore on.

Yes sir, could not agree more.

Super excited to watch this defense... Ed Oliver with Hughes (will be super fun to watch as long as McDermott keeps Oliver on the right side of the line), Shaq Lawson playing for a new contract, media saying Trent Murphy looks disruptive (I will have to see it to believe it), the linebackers continuing to build connection (with new LBers drafted also), our cornerbacks continuing to shut down receivers and Hyde and Poyer (best safety duo in the league imo). Sheesh... Can’t wait...

• Like (+1) 2

I am thinking that Edmunds will steadily improve. He was also thrust in to a big role as a rookie. Now that he has completed year one, he knows what he is up against. One scout described him as providing a large defensive net. He is too good not to excel somewhere on that Line.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, eball said:

Before the draft last year I wanted a QB first and then a MLB to QB the defense. They swung for the fences on both of the picks and if they both hit 80-90% of their potential, they could both be very, very good for a long time. At first I was a little bit down, we've seen tons of raw prospects come through here at almost every position and we've seen a ton of them bust. I wanted more "NFL ready" players, but so far it's looking good. 

7 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

He’s going to be fun to see in year 2 especially with Lorax continuing to mentor him.

I think that even more important to Edmunds' development than Lorax is Bob Babich. Babich coached Briach Urlacher for 9 years and Urlacher chose him to be presenter at his HOF introduction.  Sure, Babich wasn't there for the first four years Urlacher was in the league, but he has high praise for him.

“It was tough (to choose) because there are so many good coaches, not just professional but college and high school,” Urlacher told the Tribune. “I spent nine years with Bob, and he knows me better than anybody. We had a great relationship and have a great relationship today.

He challenged me every single day. One thing I loved is he didn’t treat me different than anyone else. I loved going to work every single day, and while I hated meetings, he made them fun because it was a challenge every single day.

“I called him and told him, and it was cool. He was excited, and I was happy. In my mind, he was the guy to do it, but it was a hard decision because, like I said, I played for some great coaches.”

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/bears/ct-spt-bears-brian-urlacher-bob-babich-hall-of-fame-20180402-story.html

Edited by elroy16
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, eball said:

For the most part, you're preaching to the choir, man.  We're counting on the typical second year improvement to learn what we've actually got in our young linebacker.  I'm excited for the possibilities.  We've got a middle linebacker with the "catch radius" of an elite TE, the speed of at least an average WR and the size to intimidate any offensive skill player who wants to think about venturing in to the middle of that defense.

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, elroy16 said:

Before the draft last year I wanted a QB first and then a MLB to QB the defense. They swung for the fences on both of the picks and if they both hit 80-90% of their potential, they could both be very, very good for a long time. At first I was a little bit down, we've seen tons of raw prospects come through here at almost every position and we've seen a ton of them bust. I wanted more "NFL ready" players, but so far it's looking good. 

I think that even more important to Edmunds' development than Lorax is Bob Babich. Babich coached Briach Urlacher for 9 years and Urlacher chose him to present Brian Urlacher at his HOF introduction.  Sure, Babich wasn't there for the first four years Urlacher was in the league, but he has high praise for him.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/bears/ct-spt-bears-brian-urlacher-bob-babich-hall-of-fame-20180402-story.html

Good call..Ya this is a talented coaching staff up and down . 

I always go back to what Hyde said around week 6 last year, saying that Edmunds is going to get a gold jacket , he never makes the same mistake twice and is the most physically gifted LB he has played with . 

That's ridiculously high praise for a 20 year old , for him to command the defense from day 1 at such a young age is amazing . We got a steal getting him out of the top 10! 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I ran into Tremaine and his father Fridsy evening at a local resteraunt, they live in the same small town I do.  Him and his father are some of the nicest people you will meet.  His father actually invited me to their house earlier this year so I could get my jersey signed.  Just more of a reason to like and root the best for the guy, they do a lot for the community here

• Like (+1) 5

2 minutes ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

I ran into Tremaine and his father Fridsy evening at a local resteraunt, they live in the same small town I do.  Him and his father are some of the nicest people you will meet.  His father actually invited me to their house earlier this year so I could get my jersey signed.  Just more of a reason to like and root the best for the guy, they do a lot for the community here

That would be cool ! In B/lo ? 

3 hours ago, HuSeYiN_NYC said:

Super excited to watch this defense... Ed Oliver with Hughes (will be super fun to watch as long as McDermott keeps Oliver on the right side of the line), Shaq Lawson playing for a new contract, media saying Trent Murphy looks disruptive (I will have to see it to believe it), the linebackers continuing to build connection (with new LBers drafted also), our cornerbacks continuing to shut down receivers and Hyde and Poyer (best safety duo in the league imo). Sheesh... Can’t wait...

Yes. All of this.

If the offense gets better by even 10%, and the ST unit helps score points somehow, this team, with that D, should win 8. If the offense gets really good, 10 better be the number.

• Like (+1) 1

We're going to find out this season whether the McBeane strategy to invest big draft resources in their defensive players will pan out. 

This is year 3 of McD and him building his defense and he can't afford guys like Edmunds not playing at anything less than a Pro Bowl level. 

Lotta hype and hope this time of year. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Lotta hype and hope this time of year. 

So true.  Right now there are about 25 fan bases (Bill's included) that expect their team to make the playoffs this year, because, on paper, almost every team is better than last year.

The league feels more balanced than it has for a long time with a large number of young and capable QB's joining the league in the last few years.