Sign in to follow this  
DaBillsFanSince1973

State of the Franchise: Bills viable playoff contenders in 2019

Posted (edited)

1075967144.jpeg&c=sc&w=3200&h=2134

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001035966/article/state-of-the-franchise-bills-viable-playoff-contenders-in-2019

2019 VIPs

Head coach: Sean McDermott. Maybe it's because I'm prone to stick up for a fellow bald guy, but McDermott is one of the most impressive coaches in the league. That might seem weird to say about a guy who has a career record of 15-17.

But let's really dive into that, shall we? He kind of shocked the world when the Bills won nine games during his first year on the job and made the playoffs with a team that started Nathan Peterman at quarterback for two games. And while starting Peterman, the quarterback equivalent of a pratfall, was kind of his own doing, he still won a game with him.

And winning six games last season might have been an even more impressive feat when you consider the Buffalo roster. So it's fair to say McDermott is getting the most out of his talent. He's almost like a "Top Chef" contestant who is given an egg, a bag of parsley and a bottle of hot sauce to turn into a meal.

The dish might not be ready for a Michelin rating just yet, but it's still pretty good.

Quarterback: Josh Allen. The Bills paid a significant price for Allen, giving up three picks to move up five spots to select him seventh overall in the 2018 NFL Draft. I loved him during his rookie season, from a fantasy football perspective, because his running ability and athleticism made him unique. But he did struggle as a passer last year.

He was last in the NFL with a 52.8 completion percentage among 33 qualifiers at his position. He was second to last in passing yards per game (172.8), TD-INT ratio (10:12) and passer rating (67.9). So, there is room for improvement. Allen did finish his rookie season with his best game as a pro.

He threw for 224 yards with three touchdowns and an interception against the Dolphins. He also rushed for 95 yards with two touchdowns. Dude accounted for five touchdowns in that game. This was like when you're playing golf and you birdie on the 18th hole and want to keep playing, even though your overall score was in the triple digits.

Three key dates

-- Week 1 at the Jets. The Bills open the season with a stretch of winnable games, including staying in their home state to visit the Jets and Giants in back-to-back weeks. And yes, I realize those teams play in the Meadowlands in New Jersey, but work with me here.

-- Week 4 vs. the Patriots. As I mentioned earlier, the Bills haven't fared well against the Patriots in recent

history. We can dive into that further down. But there is a good chance the Bills could be 3-0 at this point.

-- Week 14 vs. the Ravens. If the Bills are going to make the playoffs, they're probably going to need to find a way to win during a three-game stretch that starts with the Ravens and concludes with roadies in Pittsburgh and New England.

One storyline people are overlooking: The Bills' receivers are pretty good. I already professed my love for John Brown. He's the only guy on the roster who has posted 1,000 receiving yards in a season (he had 1,003 for the Cardinals in 2015). But the team also signed slot ace Cole Beasley and veteran Andre Roberts. Zay Jones is back after leading the team in receiving last season.

And the dude I'm probably the most infatuated with is Robert Foster. This guy should not have gone undrafted in 2018. Foster is the best receiver on this roster. And with some talent around him, he's going to be able to flourish. I feel weird loving on this Bills roster so much with the way they have struggled offensively, but they could be really good.

In closing

The AFC seemingly starts every year with 15 teams playing for five playoff spots. But the Bills have the talent to compete for one of those spots. None of their offseason moves were super-high profile like getting OBJ or something. But I really do believe the offensive additions were kind of low-key good and this team could surprise people.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973
  • Like (+1) 10
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thanks! (+1) 3

Love it.  And agree with it.  If the OL gels, even without much improvement from Allen we have weapons that were not here last year.  And with improvement from Allen, even better!  

Oh, and the D will be better this year also, and we have great depth at CB.  

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001035966/article/state-of-the-franchise-bills-viable-playoff-contenders-in-2019

2019 VIPs

Head coach: Sean McDermott. Maybe it's because I'm prone to stick up for a fellow bald guy, but McDermott is one of the most impressive coaches in the league. That might seem weird to say about a guy who has a career record of 15-17.

But let's really dive into that, shall we? He kind of shocked the world when the Bills won nine games during his first year on the job and made the playoffs with a team that started Nathan Peterman at quarterback for two games. And while starting Peterman, the quarterback equivalent of a pratfall, was kind of his own doing, he still won a game with him.

And winning six games last season might have been an even more impressive feat when you consider the Buffalo roster. So it's fair to say McDermott is getting the most out of his talent. He's almost like a "Top Chef" contestant who is given an egg, a bag of parsley and a bottle of hot sauce to turn into a meal.

The dish might not be ready for a Michelin rating just yet, but it's still pretty good.

Quarterback: Josh Allen. The Bills paid a significant price for Allen, giving up three picks to move up five spots to select him seventh overall in the 2018 NFL Draft. I loved him during his rookie season, from a fantasy football perspective, because his running ability and athleticism made him unique. But he did struggle as a passer last year.

He was last in the NFL with a 52.8 completion percentage among 33 qualifiers at his position. He was second to last in passing yards per game (172.8), TD-INT ratio (10:12) and passer rating (67.9). So, there is room for improvement. Allen did finish his rookie season with his best game as a pro.

He threw for 224 yards with three touchdowns and an interception against the Dolphins. He also rushed for 95 yards with two touchdowns. Dude accounted for five touchdowns in that game. This was like when you're playing golf and you birdie on the 18th hole and want to keep playing, even though your overall score was in the triple digits.

Three key dates

-- Week 1 at the Jets. The Bills open the season with a stretch of winnable games, including staying in their home state to visit the Jets and Giants in back-to-back weeks. And yes, I realize those teams play in the Meadowlands in New Jersey, but work with me here.

-- Week 4 vs. the Patriots. As I mentioned earlier, the Bills haven't fared well against the Patriots in recent

history. We can dive into that further down. But there is a good chance the Bills could be 3-0 at this point.

-- Week 14 vs. the Ravens. If the Bills are going to make the playoffs, they're probably going to need to find a way to win during a three-game stretch that starts with the Ravens and concludes with roadies in Pittsburgh and New England.

One storyline people are overlooking: The Bills' receivers are pretty good. I already professed my love for John Brown. He's the only guy on the roster who has posted 1,000 receiving yards in a season (he had 1,003 for the Cardinals in 2015). But the team also signed slot ace Cole Beasley and veteran Andre Roberts. Zay Jones is back after leading the team in receiving last season.

And the dude I'm probably the most infatuated with is Robert Foster. This guy should not have gone undrafted in 2018. Foster is the best receiver on this roster. And with some talent around him, he's going to be able to flourish. I feel weird loving on this Bills roster so much with the way they have struggled offensively, but they could be really good.

In closing

The AFC seemingly starts every year with 15 teams playing for five playoff spots. But the Bills have the talent to compete for one of those spots. None of their offseason moves were super-high profile like getting OBJ or something. But I really do believe the offensive additions were kind of low-key good and this team could surprise people.

Terrible analogy, the way he played is more like he just shot his career low round, somewhere in the 60’s. 

• Meh 1
  • Confused 1

At this point it might be fair to rank the OL 19th, but that's a big leap from being the bottom-ranked last year. And if the WR group can make a similar jump, that should equal a massive overall improvement in the offense. Assuming Oliver plays to his potential, it's reasonable to see the Bills make a playoff run. 

• Like (+1) 3

...I'd say it is a pretty fair assessment.......but after reading this, we could have some TBD'ers with one leg over the Peace Bridge railing.....it can't be true..........

• Like (+1) 1

I agree with this, and disagree with the argument that with all these new offensive starters, we need to give McDermott a mulligan for 2019.  The O-line and WR rooms were flat-out awful last year.  Both appear to have been seriously upgraded (especially the O-line) and even if they need some time to get used to playing together, the improvement should be immediate and sustained.  There really were no significant losses other than Kyle Williams and he was replaced by a highly touted top 10 draft pick.  Most importantly, I'm expecting Josh Allen to be greatly improved.  There would really be no excuse for anything worse than 9-7 and at least one win against NE. 

• Like (+1) 4

I wouldn't spend a nickle yet on this prediction.....on the other hand, I did put $40 bucks down in Vegas last month for the Bills to win the AFC........at 40:1.  (I will never learn)  I also put money down on the first game with the Jersey Jets (work with me here :))  I took the points, of course.

I was here...reading

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...I'd say it is a pretty fair assessment.......but after reading this, we could have some TBD'ers with one leg over the Peace Bridge railing.....it can't be true..........

Jump! Jump! Jump!  Don't worry there is a New England boat to catch you to take you home.  You were never happy here.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Still can't get over Davis retiring at halftime.  Imagine driving down route 20 and to your surprise passing Davis in the 2nd half of the Chargers game.

• Haha (+1) 2

I believe that it all comes down to Allen staying healthy. If he starts all 16 games they will be playoff contenders. The defense looks as good as ever. Injuries will tell the story.

6 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

As I mentioned earlier, the Bills haven't fared well against the Patriots in recent

history. We can dive into that further down

It's probably not necessary to dive into this. We've all been there, seen that.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, mannc said:

I agree with this, and disagree with the argument that with all these new offensive starters, we need to give McDermott a mulligan for 2019.  The O-line and WR rooms were flat-out awful last year.  Both appear to have been seriously upgraded (especially the O-line) and even if they need some time to get used to playing together, the improvement should be immediate and sustained.  There really were no significant losses other than Kyle Williams and he was replaced by a highly touted top 10 draft pick.  Most importantly, I'm expecting Josh Allen to be greatly improved.  There would really be no excuse for anything worse than 9-7 and at least one win against NE. 

Does he get a Mulligan for the blowouts? The defense, for all it's accolades, has no consistency in form and that's supposed to be his bread and butter. His clock and personnel management was abysmal as well. Still, moderate growth on offense will change this team from a bottom feeder to playoff contender. I'm just not sure that he deserves the credit for that as he has as much growing to do as Allen.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, mannc said:

Although I expect the OLine to improve from last season, other than Morse, Beane didn't see anyone worth making any commitment to.  I not terribly excited about them yet.

Posted (edited)

All-in-all, pretty fair and accurate analysis. Basically:

• Josh must improve,
  • the new players (o-line , Oliver, & WRs) need to step up,
  • the Defense has to stay where it was at the least, and getting better is a bonus,
  • the Pats MAY be coming back to the pack?
  • and the rest of the division is beatable

I would add something not mentioned in the article and something I think is getting overlooked by many; that is, the Bills Special Team play last year was not special at all. It was poor in every aspect: field goal kicking, coverage, punting, etc. Lets face it, every time there was a play involving a kick or a punt, we were holding our collective breath.  .... >>>  Moves were made in the off-season to improve it. And improvement from poor to above average in this area would be a HUGE benefit---it it happens. I think it will.

Edited by CSBill
  • Like (+1) 3

Seems like a pretty fair and balanced analysis of the team, by a guy who actually appears to have paid attention to what they are doing.  For all of the McD bashing that goes on around here (admit it, there's a fair bit) it's clear that people who follow the NFL for a living think this guy is a heck of a coach.

I found the Jets writeup interesting as well -- I was glad to see someone call out Gase for his "accomplishments" with Peyton Manning.  I think it's fair to say at least this guy believes the Bills are in a better position to contend than the Jets are.

Another Jets tidbit -- Greggggg has coached a defense ranked in the top 10 in scoring only 5 times in 20 seasons.  Another way of saying the same thing -- 75% of the time Greggggg's defenses are ranked 11th or worse.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

2019 VIPs

Three key dates

In closing

The fact that he COMPLETELY overlooks how good our Defense was last year and that it has arguably gotten better this offseason, combined with the fact he thinks Robert Foster is our best wideout makes me a bit skeptical as to how much he actually follows our team.

We need to remember that most of these analysts follow all 32, and all they do when they do write ups like this is browse stat sheets and bloviate.  Good quick read, but lets not get ahead of ourselves...

14 minutes ago, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

The fact that he COMPLETELY overlooks how good our Defense was last year and that it has arguably gotten better this offseason, combined with the fact he thinks Robert Foster is our best wideout makes me a bit skeptical as to how much he actually follows our team.

We need to remember that most of these analysts follow all 32, and all they do when they do write ups like this is browse stat sheets and bloviate.  Good quick read, but lets not get ahead of ourselves...

I agree with his statement that Robert Foster is our best wideout. Allen and Foster had a heckuva connection last year during the last quarter of the season. 

Just had to get a burning tables quip into the article didn't he...

This particular quote needs to expanded on:

"So it's fair to say McDermott is getting the most out of his talent. He's almost like a "Top Chef" contestant who is given an egg, a bag of parsley and a bottle of hot sauce to turn into a meal.

The dish might not be ready for a Michelin rating just yet, but it's still pretty good."

On the other hand, it is fair to say that Coach McDermott was given  prime beef in Josh Allen and a spoiled piece of chicken in Nate Peterman, and Chef McDermott spent precious months prepping the spoiled chicken rather than begin building his menu around the prime beef.  After tasting the chicken multiple times he finally set it aside and scrambled some eggs which were edible and made us think maybe he can cook"

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, WellDressed said:

Terrible analogy, the way he played is more like he just shot his career low round, somewhere in the 60’s. 

I would say he had a poor front 9, a few doubles and triples. But steady back 9, with a few birdies and eagle on 18.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sig1Hunter said:

I agree with his statement that Robert Foster is our best wideout. Allen and Foster had a heckuva connection last year during the last quarter of the season. 

They did, and last year he was beyond a doubt our best reciever. Just watching the cowgirls quite a bit over the last 2-3 years (The  GM of my store thinks Jerruh is Christ reincarnate, so i have had to follow them) Beasley is definitely going to light it up and is a better WR than Foster. Foster does not suck, just not as open in tight spaces and not as experienced or shifty. I actually think they will compliment each other when on the field together.

Beasley will quickly develop the chemistry, he has had to do it in the past when Romo left and Dak took the reigns.

i truly feel that the biggest variable to our success is whether Allen and Beasley get some kind of trust. Allen will be able to increase his completion percentage if he has someone he trust to dump the ball to for consistent 6 yard gains.

• Like (+1) 1