The PERFECT Steak

33 minutes ago, Augie said:

The only charcoal I saw was at Christmas.....?

My son’s GF’s family is a charcoal family. He’s thinking of getting a grill and he’s leaning charcoal. I think he’s looking at Kamado, or maybe he’s just dropping the hint for his birthday........

I wish I had room for both, but if I can only do one, my lazt butt is sticking with the propane I already have. 

Smart guy!

Akorn makes a good Kamado usually wayyy cheaper than it's competitors.  It's comparable to a Green Egg but I'm sure I'd get some push-back on that.    

On 7/16/2019 at 1:54 PM, stony said:

I like every preparation described above.  Summer I lean towards grill, winter time sees more cast iron.  No right/wrong way, just don't cook it past medium.  ?

Side note, I've hit a bit of a lucky run at Wegman's lately.  I swear some guy in the processing facility is sticking to his manager or stoned off his rocker at work.  Three times in the past 6 months or so I've gotten ~Prime in the Choice family packs.  First time it was four strips for $24.  This last time was from a 4-pack of filet I cut up to make a steak n' the grass sub.  I almost feel guilty.  

meat.jpg

Yuuum , look at all that marbeling, fat is where the flavor is.

13 hours ago, stony said:

Smart guy!

Akorn makes a good Kamado usually wayyy cheaper than it's competitors.  It's comparable to a Green Egg but I'm sure I'd get some push-back on that.    

i have had my BGE since 08...back they were the only option and ya paid up for that thing!

But lets be honest..a kamado cooker is a pretty basic design..i would never pay for the name again, and it looks like there are tons of options out there now....

what shocks me even more than the price of the BGE, is how gullible people are buying BGE branded accessories.. 

Here is the BGE dual probe thermometer for $93

https://www.amazon.com/Big-Green-Egg-Thermometer-ET734/dp/B00Y9FLIX0

And hey, lookee here, its the same one for $59!!!!

https://www.amazon.com/Maverick-732-Remote-Smoker-Thermometer/dp/B004IMA718/ref=sr_1_8?crid=1DQ9Y0H3HAKXX&keywords=maverick+thermometer&qid=1563619656&s=lawn-garden&sprefix=maverick+%2Clawngarden%2C179&sr=1-8

Man, people are dumb!!!!

• Like (+1) 1

One thing I will add here is that I do not agree with the notion that you can only season a steak right before it goes on the grill.

I like to season my steaks several hours before I grill them, and then I just leave them out on the kitchen counter so they are absolutely room temperature when they hit the grill, and have been seasoning for a long time. 

A good, very coarse sea salt and freshly ground, course pepper will almost form a type of "skin" on the meat if it sits around long enough and this helps seal everything in on the grill.

I also do not believe in only flipping once.  I go back and forth several times.

If you want to immediately improve your steak eating results, do 2 simple things.

1:  Make sure the meat is 100% warm and at room temperature when it goes on the grill

2: Let it rest after cooking for a solid 8 minutes or so before you cut into it.  All the juices will flow back into the meat.

There are a lot of cooking advice type videos on Youtube.  Some are good, a lot are terrible.

I have found this steak grilling video to be filled with good advice.

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Went out for dinner with the bride last night and had a hanger steak (mid rare) with bernaise and truffle fries.  I forgot how tender and flavorful hanger steaks were.  It was incredible.  Fairly inexpensive cut of meat too!

they are awesome..but much like skirt steak their popularity has jacked the price i believe. Always amazes how expensive skirt steak is

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/16/2019 at 11:47 AM, Patrick_Duffy said:

For me, 1.5in thick boneless ribeye, marinated for 2 days. Cooked med rare.

If it's cooked right, the flavor of the steak is so good I never have to use any steak sauce. I usually cook mine perfect, got that ***** down to a science.

Only suppose to flip a steak one time on the grill so I like to sear the outside to keep the juices in.

Marinated. Wrong.

1.5 inch thick Ribeyes do NOT get marinated ever. That's a crime against a quality cut.

High heat natural lump charcoal, 5 minutes a side, rotating at 2.5 minutes, sprinkle sea salt to finish.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Marinated. Wrong.

1.5 inch thick Ribeyes do NOT get marinated ever. That's a crime against a quality cut.

High heat natural lump charcoal, 5 minutes a side, rotating at 2.5 minutes, sprinkle sea salt to finish.

It’s funny, I always dust steaks with kosher salt and coarse ground pepper before cooking. Then I inevitably put salt and pepper on the steak again when ready to eat it. So you don’t salt and pepper the steak before grilling/cooking?

1 minute ago, BringBackFergy said:

It’s funny, I always dust steaks with kosher salt and coarse ground pepper before cooking. Then I inevitably put salt and pepper on the steak again when ready to eat it. So you don’t salt and pepper the steak before grilling/cooking?

Negative. I want only enough salt to enhance the beef, not to overwhelm it. It's why I don't marinate steak. Beef on its own is fantastic.

1 minute ago, BringBackFergy said:

Salt-n-Pepa ain't no marinade.

48 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Salt-n-Pepa ain't no marinade.

@Joe in Winslow is doing it ass backwards. Everyone knows you put salt and pepper on the steak BEFORE grilling/cooking it. He puts it on after. That’s like guys that dip their ribeye steak in ketchup - @ExiledInIllinois or the “Ranch dressing club” @Cripple Creek  

• Haha (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

@Joe in Winslow is doing it ass backwards. Everyone knows you put salt and pepper on the steak BEFORE grilling/cooking it. He puts it on after. That’s like guys that dip their ribeye steak in ketchup - @ExiledInIllinois or the “Ranch dressing club” @Cripple Creek  

Sure, if you like oversalting things that just need the slightest seasoning, then by all means, double salt.

...today is flank steak marinated in a chimichurri marsala sauce, marinated lemon pepper mushrooms caps and green/red/jalapeno peppers...grand finale is roasted corn on the cob with olive oil and reggiano parmigiano....party of one though....

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...today is flank steak marinated in a chimichurri marsala sauce, marinated lemon pepper mushrooms caps and green/red/jalapeno peppers...grand finale is roasted corn on the cob with olive oil and reggiano parmigiano....party of one though....

Enjoy brother. No way would I do all that for just myself.