The PERFECT Steak

4 minutes ago, Augie said:

One of the most common mistakes is not letting the steak get to room temperature before cooking. Please don’t make that mistake, as it will mess with your perfectly cooked meat! 

I’m with you on this. But have heard others talk about hamburgers and steaks (or brisket if you want to get a quick/fake smoke ring) putting steaks on cold or cool to avoid over cooking them. I still think room temp is best way to go. 

6 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

I’m with you on this. But have heard others talk about hamburgers and steaks (or brisket if you want to get a quick/fake smoke ring) putting steaks on cold or cool to avoid over cooking them. I still think room temp is best way to go. 

I will challenge anyone at a tailgate while testing their food. I’ll judge, and leave with a full belly. I’m a better judge than competitor. Have I mentioned how lazy I am? 

Of course the ribeye seems to be the most popular choice here, but in my opinion a good old fashioned T bone steak cooked over a campfire of cherry, or even better, apple wood, is the best steak I have ever made.

No seasoning, no fancy olive, grapeseed or truffle oil, no salt or pepper. Just an open campfire with the right wood, and a steak with a bone in it is the most glorious steak I have personally ever cooked. 

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Augie said:

One of the most common mistakes is not letting the steak get to room temperature before cooking. Please don’t make that mistake, as it will mess with your perfectly cooked meat! 

My wife agrees with you, I'm skeptical. Which is another way of saying that I always cook our steaks at room temperature (except when I'm hungry and she isn't paying attention).

But how would cooking a steak that's not at room temperature mess with it?  I remain skeptical.

5 minutes ago, Talkin Proud said:

Of course the ribeye seems to be the most popular choice here, but in my opinion a good old fashioned T bone steak cooked over a campfire of cherry, or even better, apple wood, is the best steak I have ever made.

No seasoning, no fancy olive, grapeseed or truffle oil, no salt or pepper. Just an open campfire with the right wood, and a steak with a bone in it is the most glorious steak I have personally ever cooked. 

Sounds great. On a grill/grid or in a cast iron pan over the campfire?

On a grill grate. I feel like open flame is by far the best way to cook steak.

I've also had amazing results with a whole tenderloin over a charcoal grill, with a cover. Keeping the heat pretty low and a foil pan in the middle of the charcoal with a little water and some hardwood chips in it, that helps keep the heat down and smokes the meat slightly. Keeping the heat around 150-175° for 90 minutes or so 

3 minutes ago, Talkin Proud said:

On a grill grate. I feel like open flame is by far the best way to cook steak.

I've also had amazing results with a whole tenderloin over a charcoal grill, with a cover. Keeping the heat pretty low and a foil pan in the middle of the charcoal with a little water and some hardwood chips in it, that helps keep the heat down and smokes the meat slightly. Keeping the heat around 150-175° for 90 minutes or so 

Whole loin on the grill is something I always wanted to do. I would think the seasoned outside would create a tasty bark to enjoy with the tender inside 

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/17/2019 at 6:57 PM, BringBackFergy said:

“Hell of a deal” = “Paralyzed, blind, WW2 widow mistakenly left her Purple Heart husband’s charcoal grill on the side of the garage one night”. Enjoy Gugny!!!! Sleep tight. 

We can always count on you to set the record straight, square everything away!

LMAO!

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

My wife agrees with you, I'm skeptical. Which is another way of saying that I always cook our steaks at room temperature (except when I'm hungry and she isn't paying attention).

But how would cooking a steak that's not at room temperature mess with it?  I remain skeptical.

You can have a good meal either way, but if you’re cooking the outside while the inside remains cold, it’s just more difficult to control. If you prefer a rare interior, maybe that’s a good thing for you. 

• Like (+1) 1

about 3 years ago Charbroil introduced the gas2Coal line and i grabbed the middle-sized grill in the line and have never looked back.  In fact i've gone online and bought every individual part so i can frankenstein my original grill and keep it operational in this dastardly Florida weather.

has a charcoal pan that extends the entire surface area, I can lump up charcoal (Kingsford applewood) in 1/3 sections so i can utilize the direct/indirect heating based on my audience.  Use the gas to heat up the coals, once they start turning gray, turn the gas off and start cooking.

For Steak - Ribeye goes without saying; my personal favorite is a 1.5-2" Strip but i won't ever turn down a ribeye.  if i'm doing medallions i could make a tri-tip that would make weak in the knees, i guarantee it...

Dry rub w/ extra virgin olive oil - no wet marinade unless is flank/butt or carne asada; i prefer a spice (reaper, scotch bonnet) or cayenne for some deep (not stingy) "below your skin" heat. just enough to put a little mist on your brow.  not everyone is a spice person so in that case it's a standard chop house dry blend of salt, black pepper, tad of nutmeg, bay leaf and some lime skin shavings.  12 hours preferred, 1 day optimal, 2 days in the rub = Utopian.  take out 1-2 hours before cooking and let it sit at room temp.

Only way to consume a steak - rare to med-rare anything else and you're doing it wrong; char it on both sides on direct heat, then 5-8 minutes indirectly; wrap in foil and let it rest for 10 mins.

Steak directly on the grill, if it's thicker than your open hand cover for 50% of the cooking time.  Hamburgers on a cast iron plate in the grill, butter and salt on the cooking surface.

Edited by Say When...
typo
  • Like (+1) 1

On 7/16/2019 at 11:28 AM, BringBackFergy said:

* Let that mutha rest for 15 mins.

Yep!

I cook steaks almost exactly to this method. They come out steakhouse great.

I use a digital meat thermometer also. I used to have the internal temps written down for rare, medium rare, and medium, but I've lost that over the years.

Note: "Letting that mutha rest" for 15 minutes after baking is an absolute necessity that many people gloss over in haste. If you cut that steak without resting it, it's juices spill out all over the plate. The resting process drives the juices back toward the center of the cut--it's also a good time to prep the sides.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Talkin Proud said:

if ya got a fireplace, get one of these. I will not say i use a ton, but damn if ya already got a fire going, sometimes it is mucho convenient.

https://www.amazon.com/130-Adjustable-Surface-Cooking-20-Inch/dp/B0024NL8H0/ref=asc_df_B0024NL8H0/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=194884170462&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6785629546779745473&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9008464&hvtargid=pla-310752839882&psc=1 

14 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

I think i have heard some believe the temp difference of the cold steak hitting the hot grill results in the muscle fibers tensing up more, release more juices to the flame. A room temp steak maybe not so much. I will take at stab at finding out..I honestly dont know the science behind this one

(edit) great article on this stuff..as i mentioned upthread these guys almost always spot on

https://www.seriouseats.com/2013/06/the-food-lab-7-old-wives-tales-about-cooking-steak.html

Edited by plenzmd1
  • Like (+1) 1

2.5 inch thick  bone in ribeye. Liberally coat with Montreal steak seasoning.  Sous vide for 1.5 hours at 129 degrees. Sear in smoking hot carbon steel pan with avocado oil. Sear the edges with a map gas blowtorch. (This steak was a prime, dry aged ribeye from Eataly in NYC)

dAL7cKE.jpguMIMgXz.jpgSF9IrBa.jpg

Edited by chknwing334
  • Like (+1) 3

If it’s a really nice piece of meat, I typically will go the cast iron pan route.  Olive oil, salt and ground black pepper and let sit for 30 minutes.  Put a thin coating of olive oil in the pan and crank up the heat.  Cook on both sides until the meat developes a nice crust.  Throw in a couple TBSPs of butter, a couple sprigs of rosemary, and a couple crushed cloves of garlic.  Baste with the butter for a few minutes, cook meat to M/R, take out of the pan and let it sit for 5 minutes.

Baked potato is a must for me.  Wash large russet potatos and coat with olive oil.  Sprinkle on salt, pepper, and garlic powder.  Poke holes with a fork on top side.  Preheat oven to 400.  Put potatos right on the top rack with a drip pan underneath.  Cook for 1 hour.  Insides cooked perfectly, and the skin is crispy like a potato chip.

On 7/17/2019 at 6:40 PM, stony said:

I grew up in a charcoal family.  Higher heat, better sear. I think a Weber charcoal grill is amazing. 

The only charcoal I saw was at Christmas.....?

My son’s GF’s family is a charcoal family. He’s thinking of getting a grill and he’s leaning charcoal. I think he’s looking at Kamado, or maybe he’s just dropping the hint for his birthday........

I wish I had room for both, but if I can only do one, my lazy butt is sticking with the natural gas I already have. 

Edited by Augie

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

(edit) great article on this stuff..as i mentioned upthread these guys almost always spot on

https://www.seriouseats.com/2013/06/the-food-lab-7-old-wives-tales-about-cooking-steak.html

I too generally trust their info, but that’s some heresy in there! I’ve heard some pretty accomplished people argue just the opposite on much of that....so now I’m just confused.  

24 minutes ago, Augie said:

The only charcoal I saw was at Christmas.....?

My son’s GF’s family is a charcoal family. He’s thinking of getting a grill and he’s leaning charcoal. I think he’s looking at Kamado, or maybe he’s just dropping the hint for his birthday........

I'm a Primo XL guy, with a DigiQ temp controller.

Been workin' for me for years.