The PERFECT Steak

9 minutes ago, Augie said:

Alright, now I have to try a ribeye. Wife will be traveling, so I’m not doing sous vide for one steak. But I’ll just wing it and hope for the best. Cooking for one is..........barely worth cooking. I could just buy a bowl of fruit. 

If you’re not a fan of too much fat, buy a leaner piece but pepper the ***** out of it. Cut in slices cross grain. 

8 hours ago, Augie said:

Alright, now I have to try a ribeye. Wife will be traveling, so I’m not doing sous vide for one steak. But I’ll just wing it and hope for the best. Cooking for one is..........barely worth cooking. I could just buy a bowl of fruit. 

why not sous vide?  if thick enough(over an inch) really try the reverse sear

Edited by plenzmd1
  • Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

big roast coming out of oven, boston butt out of smoker....30 minutes to even an hour for residual cooking to finish and juices to redistribute

steak cooked traditional way..needs 5,  10 at most

As I said, that is disputed by at least one "professional" kitchen.  I can't stop the process myself, but if I have a chance I'll see if I can dig out their research.

9 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

I just go to Russell's and/or Tappos twice a year for their ribeyes. 

Home grilled steaks rarely compare.

You raise an interesting point: a few friends of ours always say “I’ll never order steak at a nice restaurant because it’s something I can make at home”. True, Russell’s serves prime meats and doctors it up with a 3 ounce rock lobster tail or bernaise, but you could easily replicate the steak you get at Russell’s at half the cost. 

52 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

As I said, that is disputed by at least one "professional" kitchen.  I can't stop the process myself, but if I have a chance I'll see if I can dig out their research.

I have seen the argument that for a steak some juice escapes in the cutting board and ends up just being wasted, where if you cut right away on your plate, juices are on you plate, you rub the steak in them leke an au jus..no juice wasted

14 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

You raise an interesting point: a few friends of ours always say “I’ll never order steak at a nice restaurant because it’s something I can make at home”. True, Russell’s serves prime meats and doctors it up with a 3 ounce rock lobster tail or bernaise, but you could easily replicate the steak you get at Russell’s at half the cost. 

that the key no? You can go to Wegamns and get a dry age steak fro $26/lb...but have to have @mead107 money to do that

• Haha (+1) 2

A one + inch thick ribeye is the best choice for its marbling. 

1.  Bring to room temperature.

2.  Season with salt, pepper and garlic.  Do not be shy.

3.  Put on Big Green Egg @ 225 degrees.  Use some hickory chunks for flavor.

4.  Remove when a bit less than medium rare.

5.  Bring temp up on grill to 400+.

6.  Wear to desired temperature.

7.  Rest

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

I have seen the argument that for a steak some juice escapes in the cutting board and ends up just being wasted, where if you cut right away on your plate, juices are on you plate, you rub the steak in them leke an au jus..no juice wasted

What fool would argue this? ALL meat needs rest before cutting. I let a whole roasted chicken sit for 20 minutes and it's still hot; juices all inside still.

9 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

6.  Wear to desired temperature.

Image result for meat suit

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I do a 1.5" rib eye. Sous vi it for a hour to medium rare. Get the iron skillet as hot as I can on the bbq. Toss in a few cloves of mashed garlic. Some sprigs of thyme. A couple tblsp of butter and baste for about a minute a side to get a nice crust. Most of the time I will do  a nice red wine sauce to go with it.

19 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

Love it..much healthier...but try to find it.

I get my Bison at Tops in Panorama Plaza in Rochester. Not only do they have Bison steaks and Mignon but also ground Bison and Bison hot dogs. For the 4th I did up a Bison Mignon and a Lobster tail ... So damn good.

For steaks I like a nice inch thick Porterhouse with a Montreal steak rub, cooked til it's still semi bloody, let sit for 5-10 and pour a little Worcestershire sauce on it.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

I get my Bison at Tops in Panorama Plaza in Rochester. Not only do they have Bison steaks and Mignon but also ground Bison and Bison hot dogs. For the 4th I did up a Bison Mignon and a Lobster tail ... So damn good.

For steaks I like a nice inch thick Porterhouse with a Montreal steak rub, cooked til it's still semi bloody, let sit for 5-10 and pour a little Worcestershire sauce on it.

Inside the case of the Butchers Block? Thanks..I'll have my better half check that out this weekend.

Thanks frost.

35 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Inside the case of the Butchers Block? Thanks..I'll have my better half check that out this weekend.

Thanks frost.

I'ts just in where they keep most of the meats, closer to the beef section than anything else. They were all individually pre packaged.

Buffalo Tops may be different than Rochester Tops in terms of what they carry, hell Rochester Tops probably aren't all the same. The Tops I shop at used to carry Elk burgers a few years ago. They were delicious too. Wish they still had them.

One thing I'm still searching for is Ostrich Mignon .... So effin good.

Edited by frostbitmic

10 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Any opinions on “propane vs charcoal” if you don’t do SV or cast iron/oven?

I grew up in a charcoal family.  Higher heat, better sear. I think a Weber charcoal grill is amazing. 

Edited by stony

19 minutes ago, stony said:

I grew up in a charcoal family.  Higher heat, better sear. I think a Weber charcoal grill is amazing. 

I can’t disagree, but you have to understand how lazy I am! Our grill is hooked up the the gas line for the house. No filling tanks or running out when the chicken is half cooked, 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, stony said:

46 minutes ago, Augie said:

I can’t disagree, but you have to understand how lazy I am! Our grill is hooked up the the gas line for the house. No filling tanks or running out when the chicken is half cooked, 

I transitioned to charcoal about 8 years ago.  I thought about keeping the gas grill for when I'm cooking multiple things, but decided against it.  I was going to run the gas line if I chose to keep one.

When I did have a gas grill, I had two tanks; the tank I was using and a full tank in reserve.  I ran out too many times and finally got smart!

I have a Weber Performer Deluxe that I picked up for a hell of a deal.  I love it.

I enjoy everything about the charcoal experience.  Great reason to chill out on the deck and have a few beers while still being productive!!!

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I transitioned to charcoal about 8 years ago.  I thought about keeping the gas grill for when I'm cooking multiple things, but decided against it.  I was going to run the gas line if I chose to keep one.

When I did have a gas grill, I had two tanks; the tank I was using and a full tank in reserve.  I ran out too many times and finally got smart!

I have a Weber Performer Deluxe that I picked up for a hell of a deal.  I love it.

I enjoy everything about the charcoal experience.  Great reason to chill out on the deck and have a few beers while still being productive!!!

“Hell of a deal” = “Paralyzed, blind, WW2 widow mistakenly left her Purple Heart husband’s charcoal grill on the side of the garage one night”. Enjoy Gugny!!!! Sleep tight. 

• Haha (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Charcoal is def the way to go when time isn’t a factor. One of the features I love about my grill is that you can remove the grates & the burner guards and put in a charcoal tray do do charcoal grilling. It was an “add on” for an already super expensive grill but it’s nice option to have.

For me, steak implies grill. Otherwise I'm having beef. 

Marinate with McMormicks Montreal Steak mix. Not the seasoning, the packet that you mix with oil. It enhances without overtaking and the oil helps the seasoning survive the grilling.

Heat the grill to 450-500. Drop the steak on the grill and depending on thickness ignore it for 6-8 minutes. Take a look and when the juices are up in a big way, flip. Cook for about 2-3  minutes less than when you flipped it and take a look. Chances are it's a perfect medium rare. You should see some juices but you can also just check how spongy it feels. Flipping again is no big deal if needed.

Take the steak off the grill and let it sit (covered) for 5 minutes. 

One of the most common mistakes is not letting the steak get to room temperature before cooking. Please don’t make that mistake, as it will mess with your perfectly cooked meat!