The PERFECT Steak

6 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Wouldn't matter to me but my bride buys the grass fed..chicken farm raised..Eggland's Best ..etc.

I think it's a waste of money buying those "organic" types.

Most of those types of products are "hogwash".

farm raised chicken just means the 'birds " have access to fresh air..

My wife likes the “Greenwise” (organic at Publix) chicken, but mostly because they are smaller which she prefers. I do buy the cage free eggs, just because. As for veggies, I just wash whatever I get anyways.....

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

As for veggies, I just wash whatever I get anyways.....

Yes sir,solid idea with any produce that is totally edible.

Even the shell of melons should be cleansed..the knife hits the dirty part before the "meat"

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Misterbluesky said:

Yes sir,solid idea with any produce that is totally edible.

Even the shell of melons should be cleansed..the knife hits the dirty part before the "meat"

Never thought of that! 

Anyway, back to great steaks......sous vide will take something like a skirt steak and turn it into a thing of great, tender beauty! 

3 hours ago, sherpa said:

Chemistry alert.

Meat will not "steam" if pulled at 125, and seared for one minute.

Beef always requires rest to redistribute moisture.

Oh contraire my frere. Even at 125, some small moisture will go through to the outer walls, and a dryer steak produces better sear! Pat like crazy to get dry. 

Your first rest is fine, again no foil needed.  Second is not needed at alll, and may hurt crust if cover in foil 

i love these guys..great read on reverse sear.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2017/03/how-to-reverse-sear-best-way-to-cook-steak.html

and  @Seasons1992, if you insist on searing first, or even for that matter reverse searing, i highly recommend one of two methods

1) charcoal chimney filled to the brim, grill grate resting on top lit, when at its absolute hottest ..steaks for about 30 second per side. Temp on that steak will be above 1000, as close to a salamander as you can get at your house. Will get you a nice crust across the entirety of the steak, not just where it it hits the grill

grates

2) put your cast on the grill fro 20 minutes at top temp. Then sear. aagin, the flat surface will provide a crust across the entire steak, noy just where the grill grates are located

One last misconception to dispel..cast iron heats up uniformly! Unequivocally wrong. Cast iron heats up with huge disparities in temp across the pan. P{arts right over flame will be huge hot spots. Cast must be warmed for a period of time to provide uniform temperature. Now, it will hold that temp like a mofo, and that is the real beauty of the material

For a steak sear, i start it in a cold oven and turn on pre heat to 500. When over gets to 500, pan should be good to go.

Edited by plenzmd1
  • Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Oh contraire my frere. Even at 125, some small moisture will go through to the outer walls, and a dryer steak produces better sear! Pat like crazy to get dry. 

Your first rest is fine, again no foil needed.  Second is not needed at alll, and may hurt crust ifcover in foil 

I do not know the answer to this, but I will say, @plenzmd1 sure knows his meat!   ?

It’s a wonder he’s not blind! 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

Wondering how you fellas prepare steak, what type, heat source and, ultimately, how you eat that mutha.

Let's assume you have everything at your disposal: type of beef, cooking utensils, pans, herbs/seasonings, knives, grills/ovens, etc.

How do you do it?

Fergy's Perfect Steak:

* A 20 ounce prime ribeye with good marbling and thick cut at 2+ inches. Let steak get to room temp and coat with light olive oil.

* Kosher salt and black pepper (peppercorns crushed with a mallet inside a bag. Cover steak with plenty of crushed peppercorns)

* A cast iron skillet real. Olive oil in skillet and bring to medium high temp.  Have two sprigs of thyme and rosemary and two cloves crushed garlic handy as well as 2 tbsp of butter.

* Lay ribeye in skillet and sear first side for two minutes, flip and put thyme and rosemary and butter in skillet. As searing the second side, baste with the butter and herbs.

* Let sear for three minutes, flip and sear another minute to get buttery herb mix on both sides..

* Take off heat and put in oven at 300 for about 10-15 minutes to cook through to medium rare.

* Take out of oven, remove steak from skillet and place on cutting board with loose "tin fole". Pour any remaining juices over top of steak before covering.

* Let that mutha rest for 15 mins.

* Remove "tin fole" and get a sharp ass knife.  Cut ribeye in diagonal direction across grain with 1" slices (I may get some argument here, but sliced steak is really solid and tender rather than trying to cut your way through an entire whole steak).

* My wife loves it this way. It's a panty dropper.

I'll hear some argument about charcoal grilling a steak or Sue Vidae (which are all great), but screw it. This is my perfect steak. Make your own!!

Perfect, except I am not a rib eye man. I will take any other steak over a rib eye. Too much fat. I prefer sirloin over ribeye for cast iron.

A perfect 1.5 to 2.0 inch sirloin cooked the way you describe....BOMB!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

Your first rest is fine, again no foil needed.  Second is not needed at alll, and may hurt crust if cover in foil 

i love these guys..great read on reverse sear.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2017/03/how-to-reverse-sear-best-way-to-cook-steak.html

and  @Seasons1992, if you insist on searing first, or even for that matter reverse searing, i highly recommend one of two methods

1) charcoal chimney filled to the brim, grill grate resting on top lit, when at its absolute hottest ..steaks for about 30 second per side. Temp on that steak will be above 1000, as close to a salamander as you can get at your house. Will get you a nice crust across the entirety of the steak, not just where it it hits the grill

grates

2) put your cast on the grill fro 20 minutes at top temp. Then sear. aagin, the flat surface will provide a crust across the entire steak, noy just where the grill grates are located

One last misconception to dispel..cast iron heats up uniformly! Unequivocally wrong. Cast iron heats up with huge disparities in temp across the pan. P{arts right over flame will be huge hot spots. Cast must be warmed for a period of time to provide uniform temperature. Now, it will hold that temp like a mofo, and that is the real beauty of the material

For a steak sear, i start it in a cold oven and turn on pre heat to 500. When over gets to 500, pan should be good to go.

Good suggestions from a guy who brings Duffs wings to a tailgate and passes them off as his own. 

?

2 minutes ago, BUFFALOKIE said:

Perfect, except I am not a rib eye man. I will take any other steak over a rib eye. Too much fat. I prefer sirloin over ribeye for cast iron.

A perfect 1.5 to 2.0 inch sirloin cooked the way you describe....BOMB!

Yes. Most any decent cut of steak works well this way. Sirloin is an excellent cut. I do like that fat in the ribeye to render out a little. So much flavor. 

• Haha (+1) 2

Thick well marbled rib eye.

Himalayan salt and fresh ground pepper on both sides.

Vacume seal and place in sous vide cooker at 124f for 3 hours. 

Prep grill on highest temp and sear for 90 seconds per side. With torch or tongs,  sear the edges. 

7 hours ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

For me, 1.5in thick boneless ribeye, marinated for 2 days. Cooked med rare.

If it's cooked right, the flavor of the steak is so good I never have to use any steak sauce. I usually cook mine perfect, got that ***** down to a science.

Only suppose to flip a steak one time on the grill so I like to sear the outside to keep the juices in.

You marinate ribeyes?  Sociopath....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

I’m ashamed to say I don’t ever remember having a ribeye. I know people rave about them. I’m sure it’s happened. I do remember being at Smith and Wolenski’s in Vegas one time and asking for the server’s advice. He suggested something because of it’s wonderful marbling and flavor. I got it. He came by to ask, and I told him it was the fattest, chewiness steak I’d ever had. They had a team server approach. I never saw him again. Thank God the wife had a large filet to share. 

13 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

That’s been disputed, Genius Kitchen, I think, but I still let it rest. I don’t believe then on this one.

big roast coming out of oven, boston butt out of smoker....30 minutes to even an hour for residual cooking to finish and juices to redistribute

steak cooked traditional way..needs 5,  10 at most

A sue verde or reverse sear? Needs nada..having said that as i mentioned above i give it 5 minutes as some moisture will be visible on the surface after that, and i want as dry as steak as possible for a great sear

31 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

Only with the worcestershire sauce and a little bit of meat tenderizer.

Not so much on a steak for me but love it in a beef burger.as the op/fergy brought up the skillet way of doing things...I thought of burgers.

If I'm having a good day..home alone in the afternoon..I'll grab some ground beef from the freezer..mix in Worcestershire sauce and egg,bread crumbs..give it a fry..add sliced raw onion on a Kaiser roll..oh yes..that is living.

It's big in southern Louisiana/bayou...I've had it in jambalaya before..

Pretty much like fish oil..with the anchovies in there..

My bride hates the stuff.

Edited by Misterbluesky
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Not so much on a steak for me but love it in a beef burger.as the op/fergy brought up the skillet way of doing things...I thought of burgers.

If I'm having a good day..home alone in the afternoon..I'll grab some ground beef from the freezer..mix in Worcestershire sauce and egg,bread crumbs..give it a fry..add sliced raw onion on a Kaiser roll..oh yes..that is living.

Worcestershire sauce is possibly the world’s most underrated ingredient. I ALWAYS go heavy on it in a recipe. 

I used to use it as steak sauce for a NY Strip. 

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Sounds tasty!

Alright, now I have to try a ribeye. Wife will be traveling, so I’m not doing sous vide for one steak. But I’ll just wing it and hope for the best. Cooking for one is..........barely worth cooking. I could just buy a bowl of fruit.