The PERFECT Steak

2 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Not trying to be pedantic but both of these common views are myths. 

Searing does not lock juices in.  Flipping multiple times does not dry out steak.

Sous vide is an idiot proof method of cooking a steak perfectly from edge to edge for even doneness but if I had to replicate the same results without the water bath, I would got a cast iron crazy hot, vigorously salt and dry my steak, then throw in the pan flipping every 30 seconds.  Thats how I finish my water bath steaks as well. Toss some grapeseed oil in an already preheated cast iron, toss in meat, toss in a big pat of butter some rosemary and garlic, flip and baste every 20-30 seconds until you've got a perfect crust.  

Don't take my word for it.  Better explanation in the link below.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2013/07/the-food-lab-flip-your-steaks-and-burgers-multiple-times-for-better-results.html

https://www.tastingtable.com/cook/national/why-sear-meat-locking-in-juices-food-myths

Why grapeseed oil, specifically?  Is it due to smoke point?  If so, would you not recommend peanut oil (higher smoke point) due to risk of peanut flavor?

Just now, Gugny said:

Why grapeseed oil, specifically?  Is it due to smoke point?  If so, would you not recommend peanut oil (higher smoke point) due to risk of peanut flavor?

Yes, grapeseed oil has a very high smokepoint and its more affordable than other high smoke point oils like avocado oil.  I haven't tried searing with peanut oil but that is the general thought that it may impart some taste.  Given the recent moronic trends on reddit of sous vide steaks schmeared with peanut butter, wiped off and seared for a burnt sugar slightly peanutty finish, maybe thats not even a bad thing. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Jauronimo said:

Yes, grapeseed oil has a very high smokepoint and its more affordable than other high smoke point oils like avocado oil.  I haven't tried searing with peanut oil but that is the general thought that it may impart some taste.  Given the recent moronic trends on reddit of sous vide steaks schmeared with peanut butter, wiped off and seared for a burnt sugar slightly peanutty finish, maybe thats not even a bad thing. 

I only use a deep fryer for empanadas and wings.  I use peanut oil in the fryer and I've never tasted a hint of peanut.  Personally, I certainly wouldn't go for that flavor with my steak!!

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I only use a deep fryer for empanadas and wings.  I use peanut oil in the fryer and I've never tasted a hint of peanut.  Personally, I certainly wouldn't go for that flavor with my steak!!

once a year for us..turkey/duck fry.

My old buddy in Alabama did catfish in his kettle all the time..it was great.

1 minute ago, Misterbluesky said:

once a year for us..turkey/duck fry.

My old buddy in Alabama did catfish in his kettle all the time..it was great.

Catfish is delicious.

Catfish, walleye and perch are my favorite freshwater fish.  YUM!!!

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Catfish is delicious.

Catfish, walleye and perch are my favorite freshwater fish.  YUM!!!

Agree on all your faves..

Thankfully you didn't bring up tartar sauce...same as putting ketchup/A-1 heinz57 on picture perfect steak imo..

Same with mushrooms on a steak..blah.

4 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

* Remove "tin fole" and get a sharp ass knife.  Cut ribeye in diagonal direction across grain with 1" slices (I may get some argument here, but sliced steak is really solid and tender rather than trying to cut your way through an entire whole steak).

This is the part that piqued my interest. Peter Luger's-style.........I'm gonna have to try this next time. 

I have cast iron and a grill that gets really hot. I'll do the searing outdoors and then put it in the oven.

18 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Same with mushrooms on a steak..blah.

Image result for charlie day get out gif

2 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

Will try this. 

There’s quite a few amateurish steak people on the board like @Cripple Creek and @Jauronimo , @CountryCletus and @thebandit27  They generally settle for a cube steak on a propane grill but I’m sure they’ll learn something from these various suggestions. 

Thank you for not including me in that. I’m a veteran. 

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

Not trying to be pedantic but both of these common views are myths. 

Searing does not lock juices in.  Flipping multiple times does not dry out steak.

Sous vide is an idiot proof method of cooking a steak perfectly from edge to edge for even doneness but if I had to replicate the same results without the water bath, I would got a cast iron crazy hot, vigorously salt and dry my steak, then throw in the pan flipping every 30 seconds.  Thats how I finish my water bath steaks as well. Toss some grapeseed oil in an already preheated cast iron, toss in meat, toss in a big pat of butter some rosemary and garlic, flip and baste every 20-30 seconds until you've got a perfect crust.  

Don't take my word for it.  Better explanation in the link below.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2013/07/the-food-lab-flip-your-steaks-and-burgers-multiple-times-for-better-results.html

https://www.tastingtable.com/cook/national/why-sear-meat-locking-in-juices-food-myths

I learned that same method for basting from Gordon Ramsay YouTube videos. Excellent

2 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

Will try this. 

There’s quite a few amateurish steak people on the board like @Cripple Creek and @Jauronimo , @CountryCletus and @thebandit27  They generally settle for a cube steak on a propane grill but I’m sure they’ll learn something from these various suggestions. 

Another guy, @mrags, actually puts SteakUms on a Blackstone griddle and passes it off as "steak".  As you can see, we have a lot of board members who believe they are skilled at cooking meat.

I’m never making you anything else at a tailgate ever 

edit: oh wait. You’d have to actually come to a game for that to happen. And since you cancelled your tickets, I guess I don’t have to worry about it. 

Edited by mrags
  • Haha (+1) 1

I cheat.

Sous vide for me. Tenderloin at 134.5 degrees for 1-4 hours. Season generously with salt and pepper, throw into bag with rosemary and some butter. 

Pull it out, re-season after a schmear with butter. Out onto the screaming hot  flat cast Iron grill pan on the grill to keep the house from smoking up. Serve up with a red wine reduction demi-glace with crushed peppercorns and you’re good to go after letting it rest. Can’t go wrong.

EDIT: Don’t forget to sear the edges too. I should get some kind of kickback from Anova. Quite a few people have purchased after having theses steaks. 

Also, I highly recommend Demi-Glacé Gold by More Than Gourmet. You can get it at Whole Foods, but Amazon is easier. I reduce some red wine, add some crushed peppercorns, but it’s great by itself too. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

Anyone like bison meat?  

We will do bison meat in a store bought marinara over spiraled zucchini. Don’t get me started!

Sometimes my wife will just make a burger of it.....

7 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Love it..much healthier...but try to find it.

Publix sells it in a prepackaged bag for $9.99. It’s probably about one pound. It’s next to the butcher counter in the case. I know, not everyone has Publix, but you can’t get away from them in the south! 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Augie said:

We will do bison meat in a store bought marinara over spiraled zucchini. Don’t get me started!

Sometimes my wife will just make a burger of it.....

Publix sells it in a prepackaged bag for $9.99. It’s probably about one pound. It’s next to the butcher counter in the case. I know, not everyone has Publix, but you can’t get away from them in the south! 

Aug..no Publix or Winn Dixie up here.

9.99 a pound= not grass fed?

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

I think it may be grass fed, it’s in with all the grass fed stuff. 

Wouldn't matter to me but my bride buys the grass fed..chicken farm raised..Eggland's Best ..etc.

I think it's a waste of money buying those "organic" types.

Most of those types of products are "hogwash".

farm raised chicken just means the 'birds " have access to fresh air..