The PERFECT Steak

Wondering how you fellas prepare steak, what type, heat source and, ultimately, how you eat that mutha.

Let's assume you have everything at your disposal: type of beef, cooking utensils, pans, herbs/seasonings, knives, grills/ovens, etc.

How do you do it?

Fergy's Perfect Steak:

* A 20 ounce prime ribeye with good marbling and thick cut at 2+ inches. Let steak get to room temp and coat with light olive oil.

* Kosher salt and black pepper (peppercorns crushed with a mallet inside a bag. Cover steak with plenty of crushed peppercorns)

* A cast iron skillet real. Olive oil in skillet and bring to medium high temp.  Have two sprigs of thyme and rosemary and two cloves crushed garlic handy as well as 2 tbsp of butter.

* Lay ribeye in skillet and sear first side for two minutes, flip and put thyme and rosemary and butter in skillet. As searing the second side, baste with the butter and herbs.

* Let sear for three minutes, flip and sear another minute to get buttery herb mix on both sides..

* Take off heat and put in oven at 300 for about 10-15 minutes to cook through to medium rare.

* Take out of oven, remove steak from skillet and place on cutting board with loose "tin fole". Pour any remaining juices over top of steak before covering.

* Let that mutha rest for 15 mins.

* Remove "tin fole" and get a sharp ass knife.  Cut ribeye in diagonal direction across grain with 1" slices (I may get some argument here, but sliced steak is really solid and tender rather than trying to cut your way through an entire whole steak).

* My wife loves it this way. It's a panty dropper.

I'll hear some argument about charcoal grilling a steak or Sue Vidae (which are all great), but screw it. This is my perfect steak. Make your own!!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

For me, 1.5in thick boneless ribeye, marinated for 2 days. Cooked med rare.

If it's cooked right, the flavor of the steak is so good I never have to use any steak sauce. I usually cook mine perfect, got that ***** down to a science.

Only suppose to flip a steak one time on the grill so I like to sear the outside to keep the juices in.

Edited by Patrick_Duffy
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BringBackFergy said:

Wondering how you fellas prepare steak, what type, heat source and, ultimately, how you eat that mutha.

Let's assume you have everything at your disposal: type of beef, cooking utensils, pans, herbs/seasonings, knives, grills/ovens, etc.

How do you do it?

Fergy's Perfect Steak:

* A 20 ounce prime ribeye with good marbling and thick cut at 2+ inches. Let steak get to room temp and coat with light olive oil.

* Kosher salt and black pepper (peppercorns crushed with a mallet inside a bag. Cover steak with plenty of crushed peppercorns)

* A cast iron skillet real. Olive oil in skillet and bring to medium high temp.  Have two sprigs of thyme and rosemary and two cloves crushed garlic handy as well as 2 tbsp of butter.

* Lay ribeye in skillet and sear first side for two minutes, flip and put thyme and rosemary and butter in skillet. As searing the second side, baste with the butter and herbs.

* Let sear for three minutes, flip and sear another minute to get buttery herb mix on both sides..

* Take off heat and put in oven at 300 for about 10-15 minutes to cook through to medium rare.

* Take out of oven, remove steak from skillet and place on cutting board with loose "tin fole". Pour any remaining juices over top of steak before covering.

* Remove "tin fole" and get a sharp ass knife.  Cut ribeye in diagonal direction across grain with 1" slices (I may get some argument here, but sliced steak is really solid and tender rather than trying to cut your way through an entire whole steak).

I'll hear some argument about charcoal grilling a steak or Sue Vidae (which are all great), but screw it. This is my perfect steak. Make your own!!

This sounds delicious.  I really need to do the cast iron thing.  I have one of those pain in the ass glass top stoves, so I don't use cast iron.  So I grill me steaks:

I love a ribeye, between 1.5 - 2 inches thick.  Salt-n-peppa - heavy on the peppa.

Directly over the charcoal; no grill cover.  ~5 minutes per side; only flipping once.

Then over to indirect heat, a 2-3 pads of buttah (1/4 inch each; enough pads to ensure coverage).

Cover the grill and leave it on the indirect heat for 2-3 minutes.

Let it rest for 15 min., then slice it as you described it.  I, too, prefer to serve sliced steak.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BringBackFergy said:

How do you do it?

Fergy's Perfect Steak:

Yoy really are an idiot that believes in old wives tales aren't you.

Only two ways to do a 2 inch steak is

1)Sue Vidae...but i will grant that may be too hard for you to figure out

2) Reverse sear..put that sucker in a 200 degree oven( even better on a grill),  on a wire rack in a rimmed baking sheet and cook for 45 minutes or so..till 125.

Take out , let rest for 5 minutes for some liquids to surface, pat dry like a mofo with paper towels,   then do your screaming hot cast iron with butter thyme etc.

Results on this method same as Sue Vidal...perfectly red edge to edge, no grey..

searing first over high heat for a steak that thick is so early aughts

• Like (+1) 2

Strip  steak 

I like to cut it up in 1/2” cubes season with Brazilian steak seasoning throw in pan that you just cooked 4 thick slices of pepper bacon in.  

(Remove bacon before you put steak in pan)

medium high heat 

mix around for 3 minutes. 

Throw on plate and enjoy.  

??????

Mushrooms ? onions and some blue cheese ??????????????????

Better yet 

go to Black and Blue let them cook it. 

Reverse sear method, and I do it every time.

Set the grill to 225, with the coals, (not briquettes-lump charcoal),  on one side. I use a DigiQ to ensure perfect temp control.

Put the meat over non charcoal side of the grill.

Let the meat cook to 125 internal on the indirect side. Slow cooking means tender meat.

Digital temp probe required.

Take  the meat off,  wrap in aluminum foil, and open up the vents, letting the coals heat up to flame.

Ten minutes later, remove the meat from the foil, put the meat back on the flaming hardwood, lump charcoal for about one minute each side.

Once seared, put them back in the foil and rest for 15 mins.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, mead107 said:

Strip  steak 

I like to cut it up in 1/2” cubes season with Brazilian steak seasoning throw in pan that you just cooked 4 thick slices of pepper bacon in.  

(Remove bacon before you put steak in pan)

medium high heat 

mix around for 3 minutes. 

Throw on plate and enjoy.  

??????

Mushrooms ? onions and some blue cheese ??????????????????

Better yet 

go to Black and Blue let them cook it. 

Sounds good...but do you even taste the beef?

36 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Yoy really are an idiot that believes in old wives tales aren't you.

Only two ways to do a 2 inch steak is

1)Sue Vidae...but i will grant that may be too hard for you to figure out

2) Reverse sear..put that sucker in a 200 degree oven( even better on a grill),  on a wire rack in a rimmed baking sheet and cook for 45 minutes or so..till 125.

Take out , let rest for 5 minutes for some liquids to surface, pat dry like a mofo with paper towels,   then do your screaming hot cast iron with butter thyme etc.

Results on this method same as Sue Vidal...perfectly red edge to edge, no grey..

searing first over high heat for a steak that thick is so early aughts

SNOB!

1 minute ago, BringBackFergy said:

Sounds good...but do you even taste the beef?

SNOB!

Reverse sear on the green egg truly is my favorite method when i have the time to get fire to temp..(35-45 minutes) 

I will tell you a pice of meat we love is the Flat Iron steak. 60 minutes in an Olive Oil, dry mustard, rosemary, garlic marinade, grilled directly over a foil packet filled with mesquite chips, fresh home made chimichuri...just delicious..tender like a filet but with enough fat to have a really satisfying  taste

And Kroger often has hem on sale from $5.99 to $7.99 lb, they freeze and thaw great...really is my 2nd favorite steak now 

11 minutes ago, sherpa said:

Reverse sear method, and I do it every time.

Set the grill to 225, with the coals, (not briquettes-lump charcoal),  on one side. I use a DigiQ to ensure perfect temp control.

Put the meat over non charcoal side of the grill.

Let the meat cook to 125 internal on the indirect side. Slow cooking means tender meat.

Digital temp probe required.

Take  the meat off,  wrap in aluminum foil, and open up the vents, letting the coals heat up to flame.

Ten minutes later, remove the meat from the foil, put the meat back on the flaming hardwood, lump charcoal for about one minute each side.

Once seared, put them back in the foil and rest for 15 mins.

Like all that except two things.

1) Pat steaks dry like crazy after first rest

2) no need for second rest at at all. Putting them in the foil could continue the steam the meat past the desired temp, as well as make any good crust you have developed in the sear possibly soggy. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Reverse sear on the green egg truly is my favorite method when i have the time to get fire to temp..(35-45 minutes) 

I will tell you a pice of meat we love is the Flat Iron steak. 60 minutes in an Olive Oil, dry mustard, rosemary, garlic marinade, grilled directly over a foil packet filled with mesquite chips, fresh home made chimichuri...just delicious..tender like a filet but with enough fat to have a really satisfying  taste

And Kroger often has hem on sale from $5.99 to $7.99 lb, they freeze and thaw great...really is my 2nd favorite steak now 

Will try this. 

There’s quite a few amateurish steak people on the board like @Cripple Creek and @Jauronimo , @CountryCletus and @thebandit27  They generally settle for a cube steak on a propane grill but I’m sure they’ll learn something from these various suggestions. 

Another guy, @mrags, actually puts SteakUms on a Blackstone griddle and passes it off as "steak".  As you can see, we have a lot of board members who believe they are skilled at cooking meat.

Edited by BringBackFergy
  • Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

1) Pat steaks dry like crazy after first rest

2) no need for second rest at at all. Putting them in the foil could continue the steam the meat past the desired temp, as well as make any good crust you have developed in the sear possibly soggy. 

Chemistry alert.

Meat will not "steam" if pulled at 125, and seared for one minute.

Beef always requires rest to redistribute moisture.

I like every preparation described above.  Summer I lean towards grill, winter time sees more cast iron.  No right/wrong way, just don't cook it past medium.  ?

Side note, I've hit a bit of a lucky run at Wegman's lately.  I swear some guy in the processing facility is sticking to his manager or stoned off his rocker at work.  Three times in the past 6 months or so I've gotten ~Prime in the Choice family packs.  First time it was four strips for $24.  This last time was from a 4-pack of filet I cut up to make a steak n' the grass sub.  I almost feel guilty.  

meat.jpg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, stony said:

I like every preparation described above.  Summer I lean towards grill, winter time sees more cast iron.  No right/wrong way, just don't cook it past medium.  ?

Side note, I've hit a bit of a lucky run at Wegman's lately.  I swear some guy in the processing facility is sticking to his manager or stoned off his rocker at work.  Three times in the past 6 months or so I've gotten ~Prime in the Choice family packs.  First time it was four strips for $24.  This last time was from a 4-pack of filet I cut up to make a steak n' the grass sub.  I almost feel guilty.  

meat.jpg

Damn that's some beautiful fat marbling in that cut of meat. Delicious looking cut of meat. I'd keep taking advantage of that deal if I were you lol

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

For you or someone else?

Ahem....she claims my steak prep is orgasmic

1 minute ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

Damn that's some beautiful fat marbling in that cut of meat. Delicious looking cut of meat. I'd keep taking advantage of that deal if I were you lol

Exactly!! Don't say a word to the store. Keep going with it.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

For me, 1.5in thick boneless ribeye, marinated for 2 days. Cooked med rare.

If it's cooked right, the flavor of the steak is so good I never have to use any steak sauce. I usually cook mine perfect, got that ***** down to a science.

Only suppose to flip a steak one time on the grill so I like to sear the outside to keep the juices in.

Not trying to be pedantic but both of these common views are myths. 

Searing does not lock juices in.  Flipping multiple times does not dry out steak.

Sous vide is an idiot proof method of cooking a steak perfectly from edge to edge for even doneness but if I had to replicate the same results without the water bath, I would got a cast iron crazy hot, vigorously salt and dry my steak, then throw in the pan flipping every 30 seconds.  Thats how I finish my water bath steaks as well. Toss some grapeseed oil in an already preheated cast iron, toss in meat, toss in a big pat of butter some rosemary and garlic, flip and baste every 20-30 seconds until you've got a perfect crust.  

Don't take my word for it.  Better explanation in the link below.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2013/07/the-food-lab-flip-your-steaks-and-burgers-multiple-times-for-better-results.html

https://www.tastingtable.com/cook/national/why-sear-meat-locking-in-juices-food-myths

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Jauronimo said:

Not trying to be pedantic but both of these common views are myths. 

Searing does not lock juices in.  Flipping multiple times does not dry out steak.

Sous vide is an idiot proof method of cooking a steak perfectly from edge to edge for even doneness but if I had to replicate the same results without the water bath, I would got a cast iron crazy hot, vigorously salt and dry my steak, then throw in the pan flipping every 30 seconds.  Thats how I finish my water bath steaks as well. Toss some grapeseed oil in an already preheated cast iron, toss in meat, toss in a big pat of butter some rosemary and garlic, flip and baste every 20-30 seconds until you've got a perfect crust.  

Don't take my word for it.  Better explanation in the link below.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2013/07/the-food-lab-flip-your-steaks-and-burgers-multiple-times-for-better-results.html

https://www.tastingtable.com/cook/national/why-sear-meat-locking-in-juices-food-myths

It's all good. People cook it their own way I guess. That's just the way I've always done it for years and years and it always turns out perfect to my liking.