Bengals G Clint Boling retires

15 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

I get the part about PE's. Very deadly. Just didn't realize a blood clot itself could be untreatable. 

its treatable, generally with blood thinners, which create issues in a contact sport like football.  could lead to uncontrollable bleeding,  I think.  I'm not a Dr, however.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

its treatable, generally with blood thinners, which create issues in a contact sport like football.  could lead to uncontrollable bleeding,  I think.  I'm not a Dr, however.  

My general understanding is that it becomes a balancing act with blood thinners.  bruising is one thing but internal hemorrhaging is the fear.

No way would i play a contact sport depending on medicine. But hopefully they have hm balanced out and he lives a long and fruitful life like most do

2 minutes ago, vincec said:

Would have been better to wait until halftime of game 2.

already been done !

How do you one up that !

lol

Edited by 3rdand12
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Bloody Pirate said:

I have factor five which is basically the opposite of hemophilia. My blood over clots. They can treat it with blood thinners that basically make me a hemophiliac. Can't speak on Boling but it sounds similar. It's not just PE that can be dangerous. Can travel to your heart and give you a heart attack. You may remember Luke Perry just died when a clot traveled to his brain and gave him a stroke. Have to have surgery on Monday and even though it's a simple surgery it complicates things for me.

Best of luck with that bro!

11 hours ago, Bloody Pirate said:

I can agree with the o-line. Although I think Dalton isn't as bad as people make him out to be. I actually think he is better but I also don't look at him as a Rodgers or that guy that can take over a game week in and week out. He does need the line to play better. They have talent at the skill positions.

As far as Mixon, the line was bad last year and he still produced. I just think he is one of those backs who can create and make up for a bad line. If the line can be even slightly better the sky's the limit for him. That's something we will just have to wait and see.

The line backers were awful last year. Brown who they signed from the bills is decent but immediately got hurt and his play dipped after that. Vigil was basically the same. After that it's up to Jefferson who they drafted in the 3rd last year and Pratt who went in the 3rd this year. I remember reading from PFF that the bengals have one of the best secondaries in the nfl and a ton of talent on the d-line but their line backers were the worst in the league and that is what killed them. They have some young talent there but it is definitely an area of concern.

Do us a favor and touch base after your surgery. Hope all goes well. 

13 hours ago, Wnybricky said:

Do us a favor and touch base after your surgery. Hope all goes well. 

Will do. The usual is to get off the blood thinners five days prior but my doc told me this morning cause of my clotting issue I'm staying on till two days prior and have to go right back on after. 

Regardless, I'm so excited for the season to get started. Buffalo and Cincy have played some exciting games recently. It's also been odd with this symbiotic relationship they've had with one another the past few years. I really liked what you guys did in the draft. Hopefully it will be a great year for both teams.

• Like (+1) 1

As regards medications, anti-inflammatories are pretty much a non-starter if you are taking blood thinners, due to the possibility of internal bleeding. 

In a serious contact sport, I expect the use of those is pretty ubiquitous, and not being able to use them, makes life that bit more difficult - especially with the increased propensity for bruising that exists from the blood thinners.