Zeke now says he will hold out of TC unless he gets a new deal

Cowboys are in a tough spot.

Their QB is so mediocre, Zeke knows he can hold the owner hostage even though he has 2 years left on his current contract.  Plus Cooper will be looking for top 5 WR money for his (maybe) top 25 play.

Sucks to be jerry right now..

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/27/2019 at 12:46 AM, Doc Brown said:

That's why I think Zeke gets a deal done before the season.  The Cowboys "America's team" hasn't won a title or been in a Superbowl since '96?  He's seen a lot of his fellow owners die relatively recently (Pat Bowlen, Al Davis, Bob McNair, Paul Allen) and he's not getting any younger.

You're forgetting a certain Hall of Fame owner.

This is really going to be a hard situation for the NFL.  The rookie wage scale and rookie contracts were a major part of the last CBA, and they're already negotiating the next CBA.  IF they start to change rookie deals after just 2-3 years and give guys massive contracts, it's going to set the precendent for all rookies to just say after a year or two "Okay I want a massive raise or I won't play."  

Of course some guys have more leverage than others, Tremaine Edmunds couldn't just hold out now for more money... but what would stop Matt Milano who has absolutely out performed his rookie deal?

For the rookie wage scale to be a success, the league has to enforce it... they can't give in and allow players to just stand up and say "NOPE! GIMME MORE MONEY!"  

The league needs to get a new clause with a tiered "Negotiation" time tables for different rounds ... What I mean is players cannot extend their contract until after the 4th year for first round picks (provided they exercised the 5th year option following the 3rd year).  If they don't pick up the option for the player after the 3rd season, they can negotiate a long term deal after the 3rd year.  For 2nd and 3rd round players they couldn't negotiate before the 3rd year as there would still be a 4th year for those contracts, but there is no option for a 5th.... and so on for the different rounds.

This is obviously not a final plan, but there needs to be something to prevent players from subverting the rookie wage scale going forward or this precedent could catch on and it will be a free for all for all rookies who are good or out perform their deal early.

11 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Their QB is so mediocre, Zeke knows he can hold the owner hostage even though he has 2 years left on his current contract.  Plus Cooper will be looking for top 5 WR money for his (maybe) top 25 play.

At least, Jerry’s face is only 10 years old.  

But all those guys Will get paid.  Elliott is a chipmunk who is a moron off the field but he is their best player.  

1 hour ago, MR8 said:

This is really going to be a hard situation for the NFL.  The rookie wage scale and rookie contracts were a major part of the last CBA, and they're already negotiating the next CBA.  IF they start to change rookie deals after just 2-3 years and give guys massive contracts, it's going to set the precendent for all rookies to just say after a year or two "Okay I want a massive raise or I won't play."  

Of course some guys have more leverage than others, Tremaine Edmunds couldn't just hold out now for more money... but what would stop Matt Milano who has absolutely out performed his rookie deal?

For the rookie wage scale to be a success, the league has to enforce it... they can't give in and allow players to just stand up and say "NOPE! GIMME MORE MONEY!"  

The league needs to get a new clause with a tiered "Negotiation" time tables for different rounds ... What I mean is players cannot extend their contract until after the 4th year for first round picks (provided they exercised the 5th year option following the 3rd year).  If they don't pick up the option for the player after the 3rd season, they can negotiate a long term deal after the 3rd year.  For 2nd and 3rd round players they couldn't negotiate before the 3rd year as there would still be a 4th year for those contracts, but there is no option for a 5th.... and so on for the different rounds.

This is obviously not a final plan, but there needs to be something to prevent players from subverting the rookie wage scale going forward or this precedent could catch on and it will be a free for all for all rookies who are good or out perform their deal early.

What about non guarantee contracts and cutting players the second they get hurt or are deemed replaceable?  I’d rather see the millionaires who are putting their body on the line get paid more than the billionaire sitting in a press box. 

7 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

What about non guarantee contracts and cutting players the second they get hurt or are deemed replaceable?  I’d rather see the millionaires who are putting their body on the line get paid more than the billionaire sitting in a press box. 

Rookie contracts are guaranteed money my man.  

Why not treat holding out like breach of contract and sue the players? If I was an owner I’d sue them for every dollar I had paid them until that point. Any other business if you sign a contract and then just decide “nah...” there are consequences beyond losing future assets. 

12 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

How is Dak “so mediocre”?  He’s pretty clearly a top 10 guy,  although probably not yet in the elite category.

25 minutes ago, mannc said:

How is Dak “so mediocre”?  He’s pretty clearly a top 10 guy,  although probably not yet in the elite category.

Top 10 at what?

He's a low wattage guy who will never be asked to win a game with his passing as long as Zeke is there.  He's a 3500 yd, 22 TD, 8-9 int a year game manager--really, he's indistinguishable from Alex Smith.

Zeke should be the highest paid RB, some may laugh at me for this but I think the case could easily be made.

Dak should get top 10 money. One would argue that Garoppolo got 100m and Dak is far far superior to Jimmy. QBs always get overpaid and to be honest, I take care of Dak before anyone else if I'm Jerry Jones.

Cooper is a guy I'd let play out his deal, he is a streaky player, if he has another solid year, franchise him and extend him at that point.

1. Dak

2. Zeke

3. Cooper

In that order.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Top 10 at what?

He's a low wattage guy who will never be asked to win a game with his passing as long as Zeke is there.  He's a 3500 yd, 22 TD, 8-9 int a year game manager--really, he's indistinguishable from Alex Smith.

Rubbish.  What QB has put up better numbers his first three years in the league?  Definitely not Alex Smith....

4 hours ago, MR8 said:

Might work, but they’d have to compromise by increasing RFA contract amounts and performance escalators for late round picks that really play well. 

3 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Why not treat holding out like breach of contract and sue the players? If I was an owner I’d sue them for every dollar I had paid them until that point. Any other business if you sign a contract and then just decide “nah...” there are consequences beyond losing future assets. 

The NFL and other major sports are not like any other business. Most people in this country who have a job usually don't have a contract. 

1 hour ago, mannc said:

Rubbish.  What QB has put up better numbers his first three years in the league?  Definitely not Alex Smith....

Dak at this point in his career is Alex Smith (you know Smith didn't start all games his first 3 seasons)  at his prime as well.  And that's with that top O-line in Dallas, and Zeke.  And Cooper. 

To answer your question:  Carr, Goff (if he started his full rookie year, o doubt), Newton, Winston, Tannehill...

Let's make this easy:  If Mahomes was the Cowboys QB, do you think Jones would be sweating out the Zeke demands right now?  Of course not. 

1 minute ago, nucci said:

The NFL and other major sports are not like any other business. Most people in this country who have a job usually don't have a contract. 

Im aware of that, obviously. But it’s still a breach of contract. When teams breach contract, (cutting a player) they pay whatever penalty is outlined in the contract (usually just giving them the guaranteed money). I just don’t understand how players get off with holding out.

1 minute ago, whatdrought said:

Im aware of that, obviously. But it’s still a breach of contract. When teams breach contract, (cutting a player) they pay whatever penalty is outlined in the contract (usually just giving them the guaranteed money). I just don’t understand how players get off with holding out.

Because they are usually star players and needed by the team. The backup C won't hold out...only players who think they have a bit of leverage. There are penalties for holding out but just never collected. Not a perfect situation

10 minutes ago, nucci said:

Because they are usually star players and needed by the team. The backup C won't hold out...only players who think they have a bit of leverage. There are penalties for holding out but just never collected. Not a perfect situation

Yeah, that’s the issue. I understand wanting to get paid a fair price, but don’t sign a contract unless you’re willing to keep it. Sign a 1 year deal each year and earn a raise if that’s what you want to do, otherwise, play the contract you signed. It’s all just a ploy to get out of training camp and work. 

11 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Yeah, that’s the issue. I understand wanting to get paid a fair price, but don’t sign a contract unless you’re willing to keep it. Sign a 1 year deal each year and earn a raise if that’s what you want to do, otherwise, play the contract you signed. It’s all just a ploy to get out of training camp and work. 

Rookie draft picks don't have much of a choice and most would not sign a 1 year deal. That's also not helpful to the team