Zeke now says he will hold out of TC unless he gets a new deal

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

Why would you say that?  They are 32-16 when he starts, and his career passer rating is 96.0 (95.7 in the postseason across three games) with 7.4 ypa and a 66 percent completion rate. He's also had 6 rushing TDs in all three seasons he's played in. He's young, but he has clearly produced at a fairly high level ever since he arrived in the league. 

He's not a passer.  They will need a better one to make it to the SB.  They have maxed out given his game and all that Zeke and that O-line have done.  There's no 5th gear for that kid.

5 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

The crucial issue (at least with regard to Elliott) that you don't seem to be factoring in is that Dallas minus Elliott will be more likely to lose its games and hence its chances to win the elusive fourth Super Bowl that Jones craves. This is not about money for Jones. He will be 77 in a couple of months and is desperate to win another SB. 

Then Jones should take lesson from Krass and pay more in bribes.

On 7/20/2019 at 6:28 AM, plenzmd1 said:

I may have missed it, but i dont think any site has developed WAR for football yet, but i could be wrong. Having said that, running back would never have that kind of value, they are too dependant on variables outside their control....OL, #s in the box, passing game efficency, etc. Running back numbers do not lead to wins. Looks at the Bills all the years they had a strong running game, hell look at the Giants last year with a    transcendentant talent at the postion

Zeke and Gordon have zero leverage...let em sit, they will be back to play their 4th and 5th year..guaranteed. Sucks to be a RB, but the numbers just do bear out playing the postion that takes the most hits, has the highest injuries rates, is the most easily replaced, and has the least effect on winning games.

It was funny heard Greeny  arguing the other day that is why you draft a RB high in the first round, pay him his 5 years and move on..and i was dumbfounded by how stupid that statement was. So waste a high round pick on a high injury postion, pay the position at the top of the pay scale for that position, and only plan to have them for the 4 or 5 years...ahh, JETS fans!

Thought you might like this based on your response re: WAR. https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/ezekiel-elliott-is-not-worth-the-money-he-wants/

@MAJBobby , @BADOLBILZ, @YoloinOhio, @Kirby Jackson, @thebandit27 - interesting piece above. Curious to know what you think.

Edited by dave mcbride

2 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Thought you might like this based on your response re: WAR. https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/ezekiel-elliott-is-not-worth-the-money-he-wants/

@MAJBobby , @BADOLBILZ, @YoloinOhio, @Kirby Jackson, @thebandit27 - interesting piece above. Curious to know what you think.

I will never advocate paying a RB the value is JUST NOT there 

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Zeke is probably my favorite Buckeye player ever. He has the entire game and is one of the few backs in the NFL that the offense can run through. This is because of his well-rounded skill set & ability to be a workhorse in terms of touches. I’d say McCaffrey is like that as is Saquon and maybe Gordon. David Johnson, Todd Gurley and Le’Veon have done that too but I’m not sure if they are there in 2019. That’s part of the reason that I’d tread carefully before paying any RB. As much as I believe Zeke is one of the best players in football, life comes at you fast as an RB. A year ago we might have said the same thing about Todd Gurley and now we don’t even know if he’s still good. It’s a risky proposition to tie up a lot of guarantees in that position. 

• Like (+1) 2

Cowboys have Zeke under contract for two more years before having to use the franchise tag. The Cowboys don't need to extend his contract yet and Zeke has no leverage imo, if he wants to sit out he still has to play two more years before he can play elsewhere. I think they should extend Prescott now and tell Zeke he has to wait.

...does anybody seriously give a rat's azz about this clown?....would certainly be a good process fit (cough)...has been a model citizen(BIGGER cough)...and now expects an extension with two years left on his original deal (CHOKING COUGH)...he's all yours Jurrah........

On 7/23/2019 at 1:12 PM, dave mcbride said:

The crucial issue (at least with regard to Elliott) that you don't seem to be factoring in is that Dallas minus Elliott will be more likely to lose its games and hence its chances to win the elusive fourth Super Bowl that Jones craves. This is not about money for Jones. He will be 77 in a couple of months and is desperate to win another SB. 

That's why I think Zeke gets a deal done before the season.  The Cowboys "America's team" hasn't won a title or been in a Superbowl since '96?  He's seen a lot of his fellow owners die relatively recently (Pat Bowlen, Al Davis, Bob McNair, Paul Allen) and he's not getting any younger.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/23/2019 at 1:21 PM, MAJBobby said:

I absolutely am factoring it it.  Fact is their QB needs to be put on a new deal before a RB.  So that should be Jones Priority because they are not sniffing another Super Bowl without a QB.

Consider this, though: https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bs-xpm-1993-09-17-1993260192-story.html

That happened right after the Cowboys lost to the Bills in Dallas. 

Edited by dave mcbride

4 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Consider this, though: https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bs-xpm-1993-09-17-1993260192-story.html

That happened right after the Cowboys lost to the Bills in Dallas. 

Different Era. And know With Theo Riddick cut sign him and you have your Zeke holdout insurance. While not as Dynamic will provide much better value than leap frogging Gurleys Contract. 

....and the Zeke plot thickens.....quite the prize.......

Lawsuit accuses Cowboys, police of covering up severity of Ezekiel Elliott car accident

Posted by Mike Florio on July 30, 2019, 4:57 PM EDT

When the holdout of running back Ezekiel Elliott became official, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones mentioned his support of Elliott in connection with his 2017 suspension. There’s another incident that could comes to mind for Jones, if the allegations of a new lawsuit are true.

Via TMZ.com, the civil action filed regarding a January 2017 car accident involving Elliott claims that the Cowboys “conspired with the Frisco Police Dept. to cover up the severity of the accident to assure that Elliott’s health would not be placed in question before their playoff game.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/07/30/lawsuit-accuses-cowboys-police-of-covering-up-severity-of-ezekiel-elliott-car-accident/

He'll probably get his money.  Bad move.  This Offense has gotten steadily worse with yard and points production with a great O-line, Prescott and Elliot over the past 3 years.

2 playoff games, 2 losses.   This combo will never get them to the NFCC.  Pay Elliot all that money, for what?  They need a new offensive philosophy.  That will require a new and better QB. 

The Cowboys are the Giants with a better Defense.

On 7/25/2019 at 4:51 AM, Kirby Jackson said:

Zeke is probably my favorite Buckeye player ever. He has the entire game and is one of the few backs in the NFL that the offense can run through. This is because of his well-rounded skill set & ability to be a workhorse in terms of touches. I’d say McCaffrey is like that as is Saquon and maybe Gordon. David Johnson, Todd Gurley and Le’Veon have done that too but I’m not sure if they are there in 2019. That’s part of the reason that I’d tread carefully before paying any RB. As much as I believe Zeke is one of the best players in football, life comes at you fast as an RB. A year ago we might have said the same thing about Todd Gurley and now we don’t even know if he’s still good. It’s a risky proposition to tie up a lot of guarantees in that position. 

Little late to this post, but good thoughts all around. The Gurley contract looms large over the next crop of dudes. Gordon probably wants something like that but has produced far less than Gurley to date. And now that Gurley might be permanently damaged, he won't be living up to that contract. Zeke seems a little more built to last, but who knows? Look at his Dallas predecessor DeMarco Murray. 

Backs are simply the most replaceable position in the league.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Big C said:

Little late to this post, but good thoughts all around. The Gurley contract looms large over the next crop of dudes. Gordon probably wants something like that but has produced far less than Gurley to date. And now that Gurley might be permanently damaged, he won't be living up to that contract. Zeke seems a little more built to last, but who knows? Look at his Dallas predecessor DeMarco Murray. 

Backs are simply the most replaceable position in the league.

Doubtful these current holdouts are going to get Gurley money - I think there is prevailing thought in the league that the Rams overpaid. Bell tried to get it and failed. Gurley’s potential chronic knee condition is probably making some front offices balk as well. Good luck to Elliott and Gordon, but they may have to adjust their expectations.

On 7/16/2019 at 3:17 AM, nucci said:

But you could always get a RB in the later rounds.............so I've been told

Not so much after the draft, though.

I don't think RBs need camp all that badly. I love to see people hold the Cowgirls over a barrel. I hope they pay him too much.

9 hours ago, JoPar_v2 said:

Doubtful these current holdouts are going to get Gurley money - I think there is prevailing thought in the league that the Rams overpaid. Bell tried to get it and failed. Gurley’s potential chronic knee condition is probably making some front offices balk as well. Good luck to Elliott and Gordon, but they may have to adjust their expectations.

Gordon sys he is a top 5 back and the Chargers just offered him top 5 money and he turned it down.  He's on Gordon Island now. That team is not going to up the offer.

• Like (+1) 1