Book tells of up-and-down negotiations that led to Bills stadium lease deal

4 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

You will not sway someone who is convinced that NEF provides an “ ideal traffic situation” . While a downtown stadium would likely be more congested than OP, it’s most certainly a workable scenario. Just not a perfect one. As we know, this stadium decision is about revenue generation, not traffic. 

I dont think NEF is ideal.  It can be pretty rough.  Abbott, Southwestern, and 20A are wide enough runs that provide for reasonable enough escapes.  Seeing what I see with Sabres games (not the last 6 years or so when 75% of the arena bails in the 3rd period), a 65K football stadium SE of the arena would be a nightmare.  

I would almost guarantee traffic is being studied and a part of the final decision.  Maybe they'll find its no big deal, or a couple solutions to roll people out of the viscinity quicker.  IMO, you need 190 to be feeding directly off of major lots, as well as some sort of N/S Route 5 non-skyway type solution.

21 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

So how do Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, St.Louis and Chicago manage? All have arenas and stadiums downtown and all are on lakes or rivers. And all are much larger than Buffalo.

Don’t forget Nashville and Cincinnati, both cities where I have attended games and had no problems getting in and out. More roads meant more options. Green Bay isn’t downtown, but in a residential area with a LOT of streets to give you ways to get away from the venue. Piece of cake. 

I attended most of my games in OP back in the 70’s and 80’s when the stadium had more seats, but I always thought getting in and out (especially from the stinkin’ parking lot) was brutal. That may be I was young and impatient, or my memory is distorted over the years. 

I’m NOT pushing for a downtown stadium. As long as they are in WNY, I’m happy. I’m just saying downtown stadiums, even those by water, can work just fine. 

34 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

I dont think NEF is ideal.  It can be pretty rough.  Abbott, Southwestern, and 20A are wide enough runs that provide for reasonable enough escapes.  Seeing what I see with Sabres games (not the last 6 years or so when 75% of the arena bails in the 3rd period), a 65K football stadium SE of the arena would be a nightmare.  

I would almost guarantee traffic is being studied and a part of the final decision.  Maybe they'll find its no big deal, or a couple solutions to roll people out of the viscinity quicker.  IMO, you need 190 to be feeding directly off of major lots, as well as some sort of N/S Route 5 non-skyway type solution.

.....I'm guessing the traffic study for downtown yields the need for massive infrastructure improvements which means the only way possible is Federal funds......knowing how they move, a feasibility study, preliminary design with budget, subsequent funding and approvals probably takes 30 years.......if they "fast track" it......