Ryan Leaf Hired by ESPN as College Football Analyst

Gugny

16 hours ago, WideRightRevenge said:

Self Admittedly he was a Jack Ass while in the NFL and after .. but watch the 30 for 30 ... rooting for this guy ... hope he does well.

...I agree...you have to as he is putting forth an effort to turn it around....look at clowns like Marinovich or Schlichter who blew all of their "nine lives" and still couldn't get it right.....good luck Ryan....:thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

I agree, and I hope he does well with this opportunity. However, the average felon most certainly is rarely offered a well paying professional career opportunity, regardless of qualifications. 

Yup.  It’s a good story but people with less resources end up on the street, jail, or dead.  I’m happy for him but he had it much easier than most addicts. 

On 7/15/2019 at 3:55 AM, Gugny said:

You said you don't see the big deal, followed by exactly why it's a big deal.

The No. 2 overall NFL draft pick of the San Diego Chargers in 1998 worked for the Pac-12 Network last season and has been co-hosting a show on SiriusXM's Pac-12 channel.

The 43-year-old Leaf, a native of Montana, said he reached out to former players who had made the transition to television, such as Joel Klatt, Brady Quinn and Kirk Herbstreit, and they allowed him to shadow them on assignments.

Leaf credited Fox NFL reporter Jay Glazer for supporting and mentoring him as he attempted to enter the business; Steve Cohen, vice president of sports programming at SiriusXM, for building a show around him; and ESPN coordinating producer for college football Ed Placey for guiding him through the process with the all-sports network.

Leaf shadowed ESPN's Greg McElroy, another former college quarterback who has been a hit on television, when McElroy called the Washington State-USC game in Los Angeles last season. That led to an audition in March.

Game, set and match !!!!

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yup.  It’s a good story but people with less resources end up on the street, jail, or dead.  I’m happy for him but he had it much easier than most addicts. 

Life of the party ?

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...I agree...you have to as he is putting forth an effort to turn it around....look at clowns like Marinovich or Schlichter who blew all of their "nine lives" and still couldn't get it right.....good luck Ryan....:thumbsup:

Agreed, best wishes to the man. I won’t blame those who never figure it out. We all do our best in life.  The others tried, but it’s unbelievably difficult. Some make it, and some don’t. Leaf is in a good place, it seems, so I’m happy for him and his loved ones. Just seeing him do well today is priceless to him and his family. I hope and pray  he can keep it together. In the end, it’s not my place to judge anyone. 

(And I know you weren’t doing the judge thing, but so many do.). 

• Like (+1) 1