Ryan Leaf Hired by ESPN as College Football Analyst

Gugny

1 hour ago, LSHMEAB said:

For sure. I have respect for anyone who works their a** off to get off that downward spiral. It takes courage and fortitude. It's far more difficult to get off that path than to never travel it. Leaf could have easily given up on life, but he didn't. He fought. It doesn't absolve him of fault for his previous transgressions, but it's certainly something to be lauded. If you or a loved one has never experienced addiction/mental health issues, you'll never fully understand. It'd be great to see him continue down the positive, productive path.

As happy for Leaf as I am, he will now have to prove himself the rest of his life, or the naysayers will have a field day...with I told ya so's.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Leaf was a loser, Disney has pretty much sold out, and is not the Disney of old, and ESPN is laughable...what could go wrong? 

ESPN does seem to be sucking wind, but that is no reflection on Leaf. I hope it’s a terrific stepping stone for him. I wish him nothing but the best, it can happen. 

9 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

As happy for Leaf as I am, he will now have to prove himself the rest of his life, or the naysayers will have a field day...with I told ya so's.

We all have to prove ourselves, every day of our lives. I think that is why we are here. 

Hopefully he can prove them wrong, because they are certainly out there. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

ESPN does seem to be sucking wind, but that is no reflection on Leaf. I hope it’s a terrific stepping stone for him. I wish him nothing but the best, it can happen. 

We all have to prove ourselves, every day of our lives. I think that is why we are here. 

Yep...you are right. By definition, our existence can any time be a fall from grace. Leaf happens to be on center stage...highly visible and open to scrutiny.

12 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

Yep...you are right. By definition, our existence can any time be a fall from grace. Leaf happens to be on center stage...highly visible and open to scrutiny.

Like the Olympics, he just may get bonus points for degree of difficulty! He also has the platform to carry an amazing message. THAT is more important than anything he could ever say about football. Fingers crossed for the guy! 

EDIT: NOT that he has to preach it. Just succeeding is a victory. I wish him well. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Augie said:

Like the Olympics, he just may get bonus points for degree of difficulty! He also has the platform to carry an amazing message. THAT is more important than anything he could ever say about football. Fingers crossed for the guy! 

EDIT: NOT that he has to preach it. Just succeeding is a victory. I wish him well. 

l like that...Succeeding is a victory! Finishing is winning!

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

While I agree, he can't give the naysayers or even the supporters a single thought when it comes to his recovery. It's all about Ryan(share the name and the issue). Sorry for veering away from football. Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LSHMEAB said:

While I agree, he can't give the naysayers or even the supporters a single thought when it comes to his recovery. It's all about Ryan(share the name and the issue). Sorry for veering away from football. Go Bills!

Actually. his life experience can be a gift and he seems to be channeling it correctly. You are right, we are getting away from football a bit...off season I guess!

Edited by Rocket94
  • Haha (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Augie said:

I’ll try to keep this short. People with mental health and addiction issues do not present themselves as the people they actually are. If and when you get that glimpse absent of the affliction/addiction, no matter how briefly, look at the real person. Soak it up and appreciate it forever. 

Seen it up close. Amen, dude.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/15/2019 at 12:42 AM, DJB said:

I dont see the big deal. Hes cleaned up. Hes an inspiration for those struggling with addiction 

That is the big deal. He made bad choices, he was humbled, his 'football life' biography was terrific. I'm happy for Ryan Leaf because he turned it around in time.

This should be celebrated as a football fan and as a human story. I will look forward to his contributions.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

That is the big deal. He made bad choices, he was humbled, his 'football life' biography was terrific. I'm happy for Ryan Leaf  because he turned it around in time.

This should be celebrated as a football fan and as a human story. I will look forward to his contributions.

It’s never turned around forever. It will be a life long process, and I will continue to pray for him to keep it together. 

1 hour ago, Augie said:

It’s never turned around forever. It will be a life long process, and I will continue to pray for him to keep it together. 

You are right Augie. You are %100 right, I know personally as a functional addict.

Every day is day 1.

Maybe that's a part of why I pull so hard for him. It was a 30 for 30 or NFL Life Biography and I just got a bigger view of the life of Ryan Leaf.

Ryan Leaf messed up, he has made some terrible choices in life, but I hope he can do this and be great.

Maybe he doesn't deserve the amount of chances he's had.

A lot of people can be lifted by a success from him.

I'll leave it at that.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Troll Toll said:

Better get some popcorn for the incoming white privilege grievance courtesy of Kaepernick.

Huh? You'd think Kaepernick was the Bills starting QB based on the insertion of his name into topics that have nothing to do with him. Very odd.

It is pretty crazy that Leaf beat us in his first game. I remember it well. RJ had chance after chance and didn't get the job done. Remember it mostly because I was super excited about RJ. "The offensive line sucks." That's a common issue/non issue among QB's who lack pocket awareness. Bledsoe ALWAYS had a terrible offensive line.

On 7/15/2019 at 8:57 AM, Rocket94 said:

That was his path. He took the necessary journey to find himself.

Excellent.

Life gets hard on people or people make it hard. That was his path and hes finally realizing. Well what i feel at least.

Edited by Lafromboise
  • Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, Lafromboise said:

Excellent.

Life gets hard on people or people make it hard. That was his path and hes finally realizing. Well what i feel at least.

Yeah...sounds like a cliche, but the older that I get, I believe there is a lot of truth to it.

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 6:55 AM, Gugny said:

You said you don't see the big deal, followed by exactly why it's a big deal.

The No. 2 overall NFL draft pick of the San Diego Chargers in 1998 worked for the Pac-12 Network last season and has been co-hosting a show on SiriusXM's Pac-12 channel.

The 43-year-old Leaf, a native of Montana, said he reached out to former players who had made the transition to television, such as Joel Klatt, Brady Quinn and Kirk Herbstreit, and they allowed him to shadow them on assignments.

Leaf credited Fox NFL reporter Jay Glazer for supporting and mentoring him as he attempted to enter the business; Steve Cohen, vice president of sports programming at SiriusXM, for building a show around him; and ESPN coordinating producer for college football Ed Placey for guiding him through the process with the all-sports network.

Leaf shadowed ESPN's Greg McElroy, another former college quarterback who has been a hit on television, when McElroy called the Washington State-USC game in Los Angeles last season. That led to an audition in March.

As you well laid out he was hired because he demonstrated in a number of settings that he was good behind the mike. ESPN wasn't going to hire him out of altruism. They hired him because they believed that he was going to be an asset to their company. They are always looking for talent in a highly competitive business that is known for a lot of staffing movement.

I never thought that he would turn around his life because he faltered so many times. He was a prime candidate to have a tragic ending because he was so gripped by his addiction. This is a wonderful and uplifting story that should give hope to so many people who are battling their own demons. What is also very inspiring about his success are the generous and supportive people who helped him along the way. He couldn't have done it by himself. As you stated this is a wonderful story. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Lafromboise said:

Excellent.

That’s a great quote.  I think a guy like Leaf gets a lot more chances to turn it around than a “normal” person though.  But props to him anyways.

another athlete liek this is Chris Herren.  I encourage people to check out his document on ESPN.  

38 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

That’s a great quote.  I think a guy like Leaf gets a lot more chances to turn it around than a “normal” person though.  But props to him anyways.

another athlete liek this is Chris Herren.  I encourage people to check out his document on ESPN.  

My son texted me when this was on a few days ago. It’s amazing stuff. Real life stuff. 

21 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I agree, and I hope he does well with this opportunity. However, the average felon most certainly is rarely offered a well paying professional career opportunity, regardless of qualifications. 

• Like (+1) 1