Ryan Leaf Hired by ESPN as College Football Analyst

Gugny

2 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

Maybe Leaf has actually seen the abyss and found his rock bottom. As for Cognito, there appears to be a lot of unresolved conflict in his life and displaced anger. His career is winding down, and when it is over, he will have more time to evaluate his behavior.

Richie seems to struggle with too much time on his hands and a lack of direction. I’ll pray he figures it out. 

1 minute ago, Rocket94 said:

Yep! You are a stand up guy! How's that!

Well, on the occasions where I do stand up, I do NOT beat my car with a bat. So I’ve got THAT going for me! 

• Like (+1) 1

I'm not mad about this at all, good for him. It's not like applied for the job and was qualified to do it.

However, honest question. I see a lot of people calling him a good guy, and his drug addiction has nothing to do with what I'm about to say. I was young for his last year in college, however, wasn't he generally regarded as an ass? Like I mean just treated people poorly. I feel like that's the narrative I always got about him. I know people change, I just find many people calling him a good guy because I don't recall that being something said much about him ever.

3 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I'm not mad about this at all, good for him. It's not like applied for the job and was qualified to do it.

However, honest question. I see a lot of people calling him a good guy, and his drug addiction has nothing to do with what I'm about to say. I was young for his last year in college, however, wasn't he generally regarded as an ass? Like I mean just treated people poorly. I feel like that's the narrative I always got about him. I know people change, I just find many people calling him a good guy because I don't recall that being something said much about him ever.

He was a complete a** in his younger years based on some internal demons. Got a college gig and blew it by stealing drugs from a player. Ended up entering a random house looking for pills and payed a STEEP price. He was imprisoned for about 2 years. However, there's a 30 for 30(I believe) that documents his struggles as well as his redemption story. He's a big NA/AA guy and came across as extremely genuine in the doc. He could relapse tomorrow for all I know, but the doc definitely changed my opinion of him as a human being.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

He was a complete a** in his younger years based on some internal demons. Got a college gig and blew it by stealing drugs from a player. Ended up entering a random house looking for pills and payed a STEEP price. He was imprisoned for about 2 years. However, there's a 30 for 30(I believe) that documents his struggles as well as his redemption story. He's a big NA/AA guy and came across as extremely genuine in the doc. He could relapse tomorrow for all I know, but the doc definitely changed my opinion of him as a human being.

That's good to hear. Like I said, people change and I don't want to call him an ass, because, like I said, people change and grow.

I just was surprised about everyone calling him a good guy. I like the 30 for 30s, and I have ESPN+ so I'll have to look for it. I know he has faced some demons and felt feelings I would never wish on anyone. I believe I read somewhere he was suicidal at one point. So I'm happy for anyone to come back from that. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

That's good to hear. Like I said, people change and I don't want to call him an ass, because, like I said, people change and grow.

I just was surprised about everyone calling him a good guy. I like the 30 for 30s, and I have ESPN+ so I'll have to look for it. I know he has faced some demons and felt feelings I would never wish on anyone. I believe I read somewhere he was suicidal at one point. So I'm happy for anyone to come back from that. 

I’ll try to keep this short. People with mental health and addiction issues do not present themselves as the people they actually are. If and when you get that glimpse absent of the affliction/addiction, no matter how briefly, look at the real person. Soak it up and appreciate it forever. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

A lot of people thought this guy was going to be better than Peyton Manning. ESPN the magazine even had an entire edition dedicated to the debate, with some analysts picking "a little bit rock n roll" Leaf and others picking up "a little bit country" Manning. 

https://splitcoverage.wordpress.com/2013/04/24/manning-vs-leaf-revisited/

His fall from grace was staggering, including addiction, being labeled the No. 1 draft bust ever, being arrested twice for stealing prescription drugs and being arrested again for busting parole.

Interestingly, his first game was against Buffalo. From Wikipedia: "The Chargers won the season opener on September 6, 1998, 16–14 over the Buffalo Bills despite mistakes from Leaf such as fumbling his first snap and throwing two interceptions; Buffalo penalties voided two would-be interceptions from Leaf."

Glad for Ryan. Thought he was going down the same path as Art Schlichter. Actually, he was going down the same path, Ryan just got off of it. Art never did. Was going to provide a link to Art's story but anyone who's interested can just do a search on his name. Currently in jail until 2020. He's a former Bill FWIW, though he never played a game as a Bill. Was cut before the 86 season with the arrival of Jim Kelly.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Steve O said:

Glad for Ryan. Thought he was going down the same path as Art Schlichter. Actually, he was going down the same path, Ryan just got off of it. Art never did. Was going to provide a link to Art's story but anyone who's interested can just do a search on his name. Currently in jail until 2020. He's a former Bill FWIW, though he never played a game as a Bill. Was cut before the 86 season with the arrival of Jim Kelly.

For sure. I have respect for anyone who works their a** off to get off that downward spiral. It takes courage and fortitude. It's far more difficult to get off that path than to never travel it. Leaf could have easily given up on life, but he didn't. He fought. It doesn't absolve him of fault for his previous transgressions, but it's certainly something to be lauded. If you or a loved one has never experienced addiction/mental health issues, you'll never fully understand. It'd be great to see him continue down the positive, productive path.

• Like (+1) 2