Ryan Leaf Hired by ESPN as College Football Analyst

Gugny

Second chances can be a good thing for those that have made bad decisions in their life so i hope he does well in this endeavor ...

It has to be better than his playing carrier !! DID I SAY THAT ??? ?

9 hours ago, Virgil said:

Honestly, why is he qualified for this job?  He couldn’t grasp the NFL and it’s been almost two decades since he played in college.  So much has changed. 

Is this anything more than a name grab?

How does anyone become "qualified" for a job as a college football analyst?  What does the fact that Leaf failed as an NFL quarterback have to do with it?

9 hours ago, Virgil said:

Honestly, why is he qualified for this job?  He couldn’t grasp the NFL and it’s been almost two decades since he played in college.  So much has changed. 

Ken Dorsey wasn’t a good QB at the NFL level, yet many regard him as one of the best QB coaches around. I expect him to continue to move up the ranks. It says Leaf was working in the PAC 12- I haven’t watched his analysis but I am thinking ESPN did.

7 hours ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

This isn't really a second chance I think he's made come backs and relapsed several times no? This probably has been his best gig though.

But I still agree with your point, no need to begrudge someone fixing themselves up and I hope he stays on the straight and narrow.

This board is full of troubled NFL players right now.. like.. half the front page is over similar topic on various players lol. Off-season.

Relapses are sometimes  part of the life long process. Acceptance of who he is plays a big part. He just has to remain vigilant in his recovery the rest of his life.

Edited by Rocket94
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Rocket94 said:

That was his path. He took the necessary journey to find himself.

I don't really believe that.  That philosophy turns everybody who makes a bad choice into a victim of fate.

15 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

I don't really believe that.  That philosophy turns everybody who makes a bad choice into a victim of fate.

Not always...just lived experience.

3 hours ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

This isn't really a second chance I think he's made come backs and relapsed several times no? This probably has been his best gig though.

But I still agree with your point, no need to begrudge someone fixing themselves up and I hope he stays on the straight and narrow.

This board is full of troubled NFL players right now.. like.. half the front page is over similar topic on various players lol. Off-season.

Cognito played well for the Bills. I like the guy. However, any underlying mental health issues that he has are an entire different conversation. I wish him well and hope he gets the help that he deserves.

5 hours ago, Rocket94 said:

Not always...just lived experience.

Cognito played well for the Bills. I like the guy. However, any underlying mental health issues that he has are an entire different conversation. I wish him well and hope he gets the help that he deserves.

How he played in Buffalo is of no value at all. Cogs was kept in check by Eric  Wood & others. During his tenure as a Buffalo Bill.

As a contributor to society, or even as a clean/quality NFL player.  he is and will remain on the lowest step on any ladder....  Even Dareus complained he was one of the dirtiest players in the league. Correction! at the time Dareus called him the dirtest player. With eye gouging in the a pile a specialty. Of course that was when he was a dolphin. The NFL  is complicit  in  any of his future digressions. And the odds are with this dude likely not too end well.Or In any post pro football endevors. Does he need help? Obviously. Does he realize his issues? To date no. 

Big shout out too Chucky for taking on this POS. The league really has no choice here. He should be in  civil court ordered therapy. Just on past behavior alone. But that's not how it works anymore. That would obviously include pre NFL behavior. And post Bills 'retirement'  behavior. As a human One hopes he seeks out and sticks too a therapy plan..best of luck too one f****d up dude. who's issues are all self inflicted.

17 hours ago, Virgil said:

If AROD is qualified to provide commentary on PRIMETIME MLB games, then I can live with Leaf offering some analysis on CFB.

Honestly, it probably is a bit of a name grab, but I've never really heard him discuss football. We shall see.

10 minutes ago, Best Player Available said:

How he played in Buffalo is of no value at all. Cogs was kept in check by Eric  Wood & others. During his tenure as a Buffalo Bill.

As a contributor to society, or even as a clean/quality NFL player.  he is and will remain on the lowest step on any ladder....  Even Dareus complained he was one of the dirtiest players in the league. Correction! at the time Dareus called him the dirtest player. With eye gouging in the a pile a specialty. Of course that was when he was a dolphin. The NFL  is complicit  in  any of his future digressions. And the odds are with this dude likely not too end well.Or In any post pro football endevors. Does he need help? Obviously. Does he realize his issues? To date no. 

Big shout out too Chucky for taking on this POS. The league really has no choice here. He should be in  civil court ordered therapy. Just on past behavior alone. But that's not how it works anymore. That would obviously include pre NFL behavior. And post Bills 'retirement'  behavior. As a human One hopes he seeks out and sticks too a therapy plan..best of luck too one f****d up dude. who's issues are all self inflicted.

Well yes...more than ever, we live in a therapeutic culture. It is up to the individual (such as Cognito, or any one else) to be responsible for themselves and their behavior. 

30 minutes ago, Best Player Available said:

I agree that Incognito is one of the most supreme douchebags to ever walk the planet.  But I don't think all of his issues are self-inflicted.  I think he's a mentally ill a-hole.

22 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I agree that Incognito is one of the most supreme douchebags to ever walk the planet.  But I don't think all of his issues are self-inflicted.  I think he's a mentally ill a-hole.

Well, i guess your point can well be true. Although to my knowledge he was ever caught or even accused of  doing HGH or any steroids. it seemed at times one could point to steroid abuse as at least part of his issues. Based strictly on his behavior. But yea, it's all conjecture on my part. 

44 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

Well yes...more than ever, we live in a therapeutic culture. It is up to the individual (such as Cognito, or any one else) to be responsible for themselves and their behavior. 

I feel sorry for the guy. And his red Ferrari (rip) in his driveway. His family, etc. This is a situation where the league IMO bears some responsibilty going forward. I hope someone offers him help. It seems like he is still a ticking time bomb.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, DJB said:

I dont see the big deal. Hes cleaned up. Hes an inspiration for those struggling with addiction 

I 100% agree with he second and third sentences. But I think it’s a HUGE friggin’ deal!

I’m sure you meant that the right way, but I can’t express what a big deal it is. You can now meet the real Ryan Leaf for the first time in forever.....

I’ve seen him on Cowherd and he seems pretty open, honest and worth listening to. 

• Like (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, Best Player Available said:

Well, i guess your point can well be true. Although to my knowledge he was ever caught or even accused of  doing HGH or any steroids. it seemed at times one could point to steroid abuse as at least part of his issues. Based strictly on his behavior. But yea, it's all conjecture on my part. 

I feel sorry for the guy. And his red Ferrari (rip) in his driveway. His family, etc. This is a situation where the league IMO bears some responsibilty going forward. I hope someone offers him help. It seems like he is still a ticking time bomb.

Maybe Leaf has actually seen the abyss and found his rock bottom. As for Cognito, there appears to be a lot of unresolved conflict in his life and displaced anger. His career is winding down, and when it is over, he will have more time to evaluate his behavior. That is all that I have to say on this subject.

Edited by Rocket94