Ryan Leaf Hired by ESPN as College Football Analyst

Gugny

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27191481/ex-wazzu-qb-no-2-pick-leaf-hired-espn

I was never a big Ryan Leaf fan, but this is a great comeback story.  Happy to see him bouncing back.

"Five years ago, sitting in a prison cell, I would have never imagined that I was going to be part of ESPN and the Disney Corporation,'' Leaf said. "If you would have told me that, I would have said you are absolutely crazy. And I can't believe it. I lay my head down every night with a ton of gratitude.''

• Like (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Awesome to hear! He actually is a very good person that has, and most likely still deals with personal demons. I really hope he continues in his progress of the straight and narrow. Not only for him but for many others to use as an example on how you can turn your life around.

• Like (+1) 5

Honestly, why is he qualified for this job?  He couldn’t grasp the NFL and it’s been almost two decades since he played in college.  So much has changed. 

Is this anything more than a name grab?

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

"Five years ago, sitting in a prison cell, I would have never imagined that I was going to be part of ESPN and the Disney Corporation,'' Leaf said.

Oh, I don’t know, kid.  You seem to fit right in with the ‘new’ vision of Disney.  I’m surprised a Mickey Mouse mascot wasn’t dressed in prison stripes, standing next to you for the photo op.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, DJB said:

I dont see the big deal. Hes cleaned up. Hes an inspiration for those struggling with addiction 

You said you don't see the big deal, followed by exactly why it's a big deal.

4 hours ago, Virgil said:

Honestly, why is he qualified for this job?  He couldn’t grasp the NFL and it’s been almost two decades since he played in college.  So much has changed. 

Is this anything more than a name grab?

The No. 2 overall NFL draft pick of the San Diego Chargers in 1998 worked for the Pac-12 Network last season and has been co-hosting a show on SiriusXM's Pac-12 channel.

The 43-year-old Leaf, a native of Montana, said he reached out to former players who had made the transition to television, such as Joel Klatt, Brady Quinn and Kirk Herbstreit, and they allowed him to shadow them on assignments.

Leaf credited Fox NFL reporter Jay Glazer for supporting and mentoring him as he attempted to enter the business; Steve Cohen, vice president of sports programming at SiriusXM, for building a show around him; and ESPN coordinating producer for college football Ed Placey for guiding him through the process with the all-sports network.

Leaf shadowed ESPN's Greg McElroy, another former college quarterback who has been a hit on television, when McElroy called the Washington State-USC game in Los Angeles last season. That led to an audition in March.

• Like (+1) 10
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Most great stories are redemptive in nature.  One who has all struggles and falls.  Along the way they learn that the journey is the point, not the end.  

Wish him the best and hope some out there learn from his experience.  And he is a pretty good analyst btw!

He's bright, articulate and presents himself well on camera.  Lots of bright people do some stupid things at some point in their lives.  I believe in redemption and second chances.  I hope it works out well for him.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

He's bright, articulate and presents himself well on camera.  Lots of bright people do some stupid things at some point in their lives.  I believe in redemption and second chances.  I hope it works out well for him.

That was his path. He took the necessary journey to find himself.

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

You said you don't see the big deal, followed by exactly why it's a big deal.

The No. 2 overall NFL draft pick of the San Diego Chargers in 1998 worked for the Pac-12 Network last season and has been co-hosting a show on SiriusXM's Pac-12 channel.

The 43-year-old Leaf, a native of Montana, said he reached out to former players who had made the transition to television, such as Joel Klatt, Brady Quinn and Kirk Herbstreit, and they allowed him to shadow them on assignments.

Leaf credited Fox NFL reporter Jay Glazer for supporting and mentoring him as he attempted to enter the business; Steve Cohen, vice president of sports programming at SiriusXM, for building a show around him; and ESPN coordinating producer for college football Ed Placey for guiding him through the process with the all-sports network.

Leaf shadowed ESPN's Greg McElroy, another former college quarterback who has been a hit on television, when McElroy called the Washington State-USC game in Los Angeles last season. That led to an audition in March.

How dare you respond to me with logic and facts?  Who do you think you are?!?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

52 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

Everyone deserves a second chance. He was only killing himself.

This isn't really a second chance I think he's made come backs and relapsed several times no? This probably has been his best gig though.

But I still agree with your point, no need to begrudge someone fixing themselves up and I hope he stays on the straight and narrow.

This board is full of troubled NFL players right now.. like.. half the front page is over similar topic on various players lol. Off-season.