Doug Marrone on PMT Tomorrow

44 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

Well, WTF did he say? OP @plenzmd1starts a thread and promises updates. What do we get? Bupkus.

Hopefully a mod will find this travesty and shut it down.

OKay, just listened..and nothing changes with this guy

1) right in and subtly blamed injuries for the Jags last year

2) talked about why he did not hire Seam McVay at SU,,it was because the coach on Marrones staff who recommended McVay..he did not like and so McVay was not hired. Throws a snide remark how he had to deal with that coach in mid year..implying he fired him. So all this coaches fault, not Marrones LOL

3) Talked about how as coached need a thick skin..you should expect the media to be rough on you, its the profession they chose..if ya cant take the criticism dont coach. LOL, wasn't the story here about how it drove him crazy his 8-7 record did not get him anointed here by the press and contributed to him leaving?

Nothing else really,,Marrone be Marrone

Edited by plenzmd1
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

2) talked about why he did not hire Seam McVay at SU,,it was because the coach on Marrones staff who recommended McVay..he did not like and so McVay was not hired. Throws a snide remark how he had to deal with that coach in mid year..implying he fired him. So all this coaches fault, not Marrones LOL

3) Talked about how as coached need a thick skin..you should expect the media to be rough on you, its the profession they chose..if ya cant take the criticism dont coach. LOL, wasn't the story here about how it drove him crazy his 8-7 record did not get him anointed here by the press and contributed to him leaving?

Thanks. 

4 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

As I understood it, Marrone left Buffalo because of the uncertainty associated with the transition to a new owner following the death of Ralph Wilson.  The rumor was that he expected to walk into the head coach job for the Jets after he left Buffalo.  Of course, that didn't happen.

13 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I can't even begin to express how different these two shows are.  If you haven't listened to PMT, you should check it out.  The idea is they are ironic representations of the average dumb sports fan.  They get huge guests, despite having been ostracized by ESPN and the NFL.  They are the equivalent of musicians becoming superstars without the benefit of a major record label.  

That said, Marrone has been on a couple times now.  After Buffalo, Marrone got a tough dose of reality. He realized he needed to lighten up.  Him coming on PMT is part of that.  He is incredibly likable on the show.  

I've listened here and there. I get they are a parody. The two shows have actually done a few bits that were identical to each other. 

I guess that's where I think they are similar in that they are both shows that don't take themselves too seriously. Which is far too rare in something as dumb as sports radio or podcasts. 

Thanks. Don't really care to listen to him. Nothing against the PMT guys.

It sounds like ultimately based on your description he still hasn't had much a personality transplant since 2014?  Even if this radio show is supposedly hip.  I'm not familiar with it.  

15 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

As I understood it, Marrone left Buffalo because of the uncertainty associated with the transition to a new owner following the death of Ralph Wilson.  The rumor was that he expected to walk into the head coach job for the Jets after he left Buffalo.  Of course, that didn't happen.

As I understand it, he thought he had more leverage than he did. He wanted extensions and concessions from the new owners. He thought he had all kinds of options (because that’s what a giant ego tells you), including the Jets. He wanted too much, and Pegs let him walk. Wisely, IMO. I missed Schwartz and his D, but Doug and his offense was pathetic.

I wish it had worked, but I’m far happier where we are today. 

39 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

Obviously. 

Marrone can thank his agent for the clause in his contract with Buffalo, but at the end of the day he’s a douche who overplayed his hand and couldn’t finish what he started. 

On 7/15/2019 at 11:01 PM, Augie said:

As I understand it, he thought he had more leverage than he did. He wanted extensions and concessions from the new owners. He thought he had all kinds of options (because that’s what a giant ego tells you), including the Jets. He wanted too much, and Pegs let him walk. Wisely, IMO. I missed Schwartz and his D, but Doug and his offense was pathetic.

I wish it had worked, but I’m far happier where we are today. 

Yep. He went to the pegulas and asked for an extension for himself (he still had 2 years to go), extensions for his staff, and control of the 53 (from Whaley). After going 9-7. El oh effing El.

On 7/15/2019 at 6:28 PM, plenzmd1 said:

This was a gross misrepresentation of the interview. 

1) I suppose is fair. 

2) His remark was that if a coach he thinks does not have a good eye for talent recommends a guy, he is not going take a closer look at the guy.  He said it didn't work out with that coach, who was on his staff, and so he let him go.  He literally did not blame the guy for anything.  Head Coaches hire and fire guys every year.  To imply this was a blame game fire is a gross misrepresentation.  

3) This is accurate.  But he was also saying it was a lesson he learned.  I said up top, and I'll repeat it here, that Marrone has really grown and changed from a PR perspective.  You talk to the Jags' beat reporters, and they describe that Marrone is nothing like the Bills' beat reporters describe.  I think one even said he can't even imagine that Marrone is the same guys the Bills' guys were describing.  

12 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

This was a gross misrepresentation of the interview. 

1) I suppose is fair. 

2) His remark was that if a coach he thinks does not have a good eye for talent recommends a guy, he is not going take a closer look at the guy.  He said it didn't work out with that coach, who was on his staff, and so he let him go.  He literally did not blame the guy for anything.  Head Coaches hire and fire guys every year.  To imply this was a blame game fire is a gross misrepresentation.  

3) This is accurate.  But he was also saying it was a lesson he learned.  I said up top, and I'll repeat it here, that Marrone has really grown and changed from a PR perspective.  You talk to the Jags' beat reporters, and they describe that Marrone is nothing like the Bills' beat reporters describe.  I think one even said he can't even imagine that Marrone is the same guys the Bills' guys were describing.  

so, two of the three points you agree with, but it was a gross misrepresentation of the interview?

My point on number two was Marrone said he does not interview coaches based on recommendations from coaches he doesn't like, he didn't like this coach, that's why he fired him( mind you he was on Marrones hand picked staff) , so not Marrones fault he did not interview McVay..it was this dumb ass coaches fault. My only point..just  like the subtle way he blamed injuries for his putrid record last year, he always finds an excuse that shifts the blame elsewhere!

Part I left out which I though was utterly ridiculous, his advice of even if you know someone on staff, pick up the phone and call them your self instead of having staff person recommend you...that might be the dumbest thing I have EVER heard in my life. No response or follow up, pick up the phone yep. But to not leverage a resource like that? No way does he believe that

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

so, two of the three points you agree with, but it was a gross misrepresentation of the interview?

My point on number two was Marrone said he does not interview coaches based on recommendations from coaches he doesn't like, he didn't like this coach, that's why he fired him( mind you he was on Marrones hand picked staff) , so not Marrones fault he did not interview McVay..it was this dumb ass coaches fault. My only point..just  like the subtle way he blamed injuries for his putrid record last year, he always finds an excuse that shifts the blame elsewhere!

Part I left out which I though was utterly ridiculous, his advice of even if you know someone on staff, pick up the phone and call them your self instead of having staff person recommend you...that might be the dumbest thing I have EVER heard in my life. No response or follow up, pick up the phone yep. But to not leverage a resource like that? No way does he believe that

One point was wrong; another point was presented without context.  That makes them misrepresentations. 

With respect to point two, you seem to be demonizing a common practice: coaches constantly "hand pick" their staff, just to find out after working with that person the relationship does not work.  To cast it in this weird light is so odd.  Besides that, I don't even think he was casting blame.  He just described what happened.  Here's what probably happened: that referral was a ***** coach, and probably hired ***** staff.  So, when the coach referred McVay, he probably said that he isn't going down this path again.  There is literally nothing wrong with it. 

Regarding that last part, all I can say is that winners make their own luck.  I am an attorney at a good firm, and very much so could have used my relationships to get me the job.  But, I didn't.  Relying on someone else to get you a job or an interview just makes your look like a coward--like you were too afraid to apply for the job yourself.  In some instances it makes sense, but I wholeheartedly advocate people taking their professional lives into their own hands.