Prime Day 2019

/dev/null

44 minutes ago, JoeF said:

So, I pay 9.89 and this happens?  How?  Do they show them where the water fountain is?  What if the kid wants only Fiji water?

Make an Impact: For every LifeStraw product purchased, a school child in need receives safe drinking water for an entire school year.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Online shopping is overrated. I know, I work in retail and see more returns from online then anything else. Its much easier to go to the store so you can see what you are buying instead of hoping that's what you bought. The other thing is it leads to closing of stores, which leads to less jobs but if you're tooooooo busy to shop then all the power to you. Studies have shown we aren't any busier then we were years ago. Maybe stop putting your kids in multiple activities and parent. Stop trying to be their friend. 

6 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

Online shopping is overrated. I know, I work in retail and see more returns from online then anything else. Its much easier to go to the store so you can see what you are buying instead of hoping that's what you bought. The other thing is it leads to closing of stores, which leads to less jobs but if you're tooooooo busy to shop then all the power to you. Studies have shown we aren't any busier then we were years ago. Maybe stop putting your kids in multiple activities and parent. Stop trying to be their friend. 

There's no risk in buying electronics online.

I get clothing/shoes ... I won't buy those online, because I like to see them and try them on for size.

But when I can get something online for a significantly lower price ... I will.  Anything electronic.  Guitar strings/accessories.  Hell, I even bought batteries online because they were so much cheaper.

I no longer get the paper delivered because it's so overpriced.  I get the same news online for free.

Any chance I get to save, I will.  It sucks.  My ex works in retail and I know the struggles.  But it's real life.

6 minutes ago, Gugny said:

There's no risk in buying electronics online.

I get clothing/shoes ... I won't buy those online, because I like to see them and try them on for size.

But when I can get something online for a significantly lower price ... I will.  Anything electronic.  Guitar strings/accessories.  Hell, I even bought batteries online because they were so much cheaper.

I no longer get the paper delivered because it's so overpriced.  I get the same news online for free.

Any chance I get to save, I will.  It sucks.  My ex works in retail and I know the struggles.  But it's real life.

I agree with electronics but now people are buying groceries online. Where does it end. IMO we are starting to become a Hermit Society. Having everything delivered to us, downloading movies illegally, watching sports and drinking at home. 

Nobody seems to socialize anymore. 

8 hours ago, Jrb1979 said:

I agree with electronics but now people are buying groceries online. Where does it end. IMO we are starting to become a Hermit Society. Having everything delivered to us, downloading movies illegally, watching sports and drinking at home. 

Nobody seems to socialize anymore. 

A friend of mine once bought a $1 bottle of water on Amazon and had it shipped to his home within an hour

10 hours ago, Jrb1979 said:

You make some valid points but as a consumer sometimes it's just easier clicking and have something delivered then driving to a store, trying to find an item among all the shelves and then having to cart it home. Not to mention clueless employees. Case in point a year or so ago I saw a great deal on a wall mirror at Home Depot.com. which said they had it in stock at my local store so me and the faincee went after work.  I couldn't find it in store despite the app saying it was in stock. I then asked an employee where said mirror was, she walked me to the mirror department but it wasn't there. I asked her to check if it was still in stock with her handy dandy electronic device. She told me she was going to get it for me and never came back. I found another employee who couldn't locate it either so me and my fiancee are ready to walk out the store when the 2nd employee asks a third one about the mirror and he was like "yeah I just put those out" and he walks us right to them, It took maybe 20-25 minutes in store where if I just clicked to buy it online I'd be done in 3 or 4. That said I've also had some good experiences at Home Depot too as I was looking for a lawn trimmer and couldn't find it, I asked an employee and she was able to find it for me in less than a minute. Yet I do most of my shopping online as it more convenient yet as eluded I do get almost all my clothes related items in store or things I worry might get damaged in shipping. 

Yet back to Prime Days, I looked yesterday but didn't buy anything. I'll look again today. 

Edited by The Jokeman

I'm convinced there are only two reasons for this so called event:

1. Inventory reduction (aka: getting rid of crap)

2. Getting Amazon's monitoring equipment into as many homes as possible

13 minutes ago, shrader said:

Had not thought about that..but you are prolly spot on! Damn, I was thinking about getting their DVR for cord cutters...but holy moley the ads I would get for historical trips and books etc would drive me nuts..I like the gambling and girlie ads I get now!!!

26 minutes ago, shrader said:

1. Inventory reduction (aka: getting rid of crap)

I came to the same conclusion after about 5 minutes yesterday

27 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I bought a Ring Doorbell last week for 99. Yesterday the same thing was 69 but with a free Echo Dot. I ordered it yesterday morning and it arrived at 5:30pm... and I handed the ups guy my other one to return.

Pretty efficient!

I bought one last month but went with the Ring 2 because it's battery operated with the option to hardwire. A previous owner took out the hardwired doorbell before I bought it and I didn't feel like going to the added hastle and expense to re wire for it 

They are pretty cool, we turned off the notification for motion because I can't get it set right from our front door to not pick up cars driving down the street.

10 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

I came to the same conclusion after about 5 minutes yesterday

So pretty much like every sale in the history of retail, to clear out stock or to promote a new product.

1 hour ago, apuszczalowski said:

So pretty much like every sale in the history of retail, to clear out stock or to promote a new product.

But unlike previous retail sales, this one depends on consumers blind willingness to purchase that actively spy on them

24 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

But unlike previous retail sales, this one depends on consumers blind willingness to purchase that actively spy on them

Yolo bought one spying device and got one free!

And before anyone asks, I have two of those spying devices in my house.  It's not high on my list of concerns.

• Haha (+1) 1