Who's Most Responsible for Pats* Dynasty: Brady or Belichick?

Gugny

Who's Most Responsible for Pats* Dynasty: Brady or Belichick?  

232 members have voted

1. 1. Who's Most Responsible for Pats* Dynasty: Brady or Belichick?

2 hours ago, Billzgobowlin said:

Gibbs and Parcells are two that come to mind.  Neither had a hall of fame QB.

Gibbs notably won 3 Superbowls with 3 different starting quarterbacks in the span of 10 years.  

both were critical- one couldn't do it without the other.

brady is the greatest QB of all time but belichick managed the rest- including schemes, game plan but especially keeping a competitive roster together despite winning records year after year.  

brady could not have sustained a dynasty without belichick but belichick could not either- but could have had a better chance.  

brady is a highly skilled disciplied athelete but belichick is a mastermind of all phases and aspects of football.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/14/2019 at 11:37 AM, Gugny said:

Obviously, both BB and Brady are largely responsible for the dynasty.  

But who do you think is MOST responsible?

Honestly, I think it is like the perfect storm. IMO, Brady and Belichick are, arguably, the best ever at their respective positions and complement each other's strengths very well.  If you remove either from the equation, I don't believe there is ever the sustained level of success we have witnessed.

• Like (+1) 2

On 7/16/2019 at 8:39 AM, Mike in Horseheads said:

I would agree with that. Whatever hope there was for EJ was destroyed by St Doug.

I see this narrative a lot, many who follow college ball knew EJ was a disappointment at FSU, so it was difficult to ever imagine him being a good pro QB under any coaching staff. 

Edited by SirAndrew

On 7/15/2019 at 2:38 PM, Tenhigh said:

I dunno, the Bills kind of beat themselves that game. I'd argue that booze, women and magic powder had as much to do with it as BB.  What was his HC record pre-Brady?  Sub 500?  What Brady does on offense gives him full flexibility on defense.  BB is up there, but greatest ever?  Who knows. 

BB came up with the D that stopped the best Buffalo offense ever.

7 minutes ago, Kemp said:

The Bills defense lost the game by allowing 40 minutes of possession time to a plodding, dinosaur offense. Many tackles were missed and execution was sloppy.  The Bills offense scored 17 points in 19 minutes of possession. I’ve always thought the legend of Belichicks role in Supe XXV was vastly exaggerated. Seriously, a kick drifts two feet to the left and B.B. is a footnote in that game. 

19 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..Belichick plays the cards he is dealt......unfortunately Brady has been in EVERY deck for 18 years....dammit..............

Tom Brady is arguably the best QB in the history of the NFL.

I voted Brady...

5 minutes ago, Figster said:

Tom Brady is arguably the best QB in the history of the NFL.

I voted Brady...

...have to respectfully disagree with in "the history of the NFL"...in HIS era?...assuredly....but there are FAR too many difference if we view the QB game "by era" to anoint solely ONE as GOAT...

• Thank you (+1) 1

Belicheat went 11-5 in 15 games with a QB who never started one single college game. That QB went 10-5 that season. 

It's not just the QB on that team that does so well as its often his defense steps up as well. Brady seemed to fade somewhat at the end of last season, so the run game and defense stepped it up!

Nobody, and I mean nobody watches as much film on opponents as Belichick. He probably knows what play call he will get from opposing coaches before they do as they look on their play chart. 

Yes, Tom Brady is the GOAT! But I also wonder what would have happened to that 6th round pick at QB on any other NFL team?

That first year for Brady the Patriots took a RB from Buffalo in Antowain Smith and got 1157 yards, 12 TDs from him. Brady didn't set the world on fire with his 2483 passing yards or his 18 TDs, 12 INTs. What he did learn was to move the chains play after play until the red zone and then score.  Troy Brown 101 catches for 1199 yards also helped that first year. 

Belichick, because he drafted Brady. There would be no Brady/Belichick dynasty otherwise. 

He is also responsible for hiring Josh McDaniels who has been a great match with Brady. 

And he’s the one who’s made it possible for Brady to play in basically the same offensive system his entire career (which IMO has had a big impact on how good Brady has become).

Plus he’s a football mastermind who game plans and adjusts better than anyone.

But Brady deserves his fair share of the credit. He is relentless in his pursuit of perfecting his craft and demands that his receivers do the same. He’s had a big impact on the culture in New England, and his play on the field obviously speaks for itself.

6 hours ago, Kemp said:

That 1990 SB Jim Kelly called his own plays and attempted passes far more then he should have considering Thurman Thomas ran 15 times for 135 yards. 

If the Bills coaches had watched the NY Giants play the 49ers in the NFC Championship game they should have noticed that the NY Giants defense shut down that 14-2 Niners offense that was the #2 passing offense that season. 

The reality is that Belichick usually doesn't lose twice to the same team in a year and the Buffalo Bills had beaten the NY Giants in Giants stadium in week 15. Both starting QBs left the game with injuries as Jim Kelly and Phil Simms were both sidelined that game. Bills won 17-13. 

Edited by Nihilarian