Who's Most Responsible for Pats* Dynasty: Brady or Belichick?

Gugny

Who's Most Responsible for Pats* Dynasty: Brady or Belichick?  

232 members have voted

1. 1. Who's Most Responsible for Pats* Dynasty: Brady or Belichick?

41 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

That 13-6 record without Brady is a case of blatant cherry picking.

His record without Brady in NE is 18-17. Why in the world is Belichick's first season exempt? When you factor in his time in Cleveland, he has a losing record without Brady.

Yep. Cherry picking at its finest. Does Marv Levy get credit for great coaching when Kelly was out and Reich stepped in to QB a stacked team ? Of course not. Most of the Brady- less wins came in ‘08 with Cassel guiding a team that went 16-0 in the prior regular season. Garrapolo was a fine backup , but the vaunted B.B. couldn’t defeat the Bills with the shmnuck QB that filled in for him. Belichick is a fine defensive coach ( why he gets so much credit for the offense on this board makes zero sense.), but defense doesn’t matter as much in the current NFL . Certainly not as much as it did in the early part of the Brady run. Just look at Belichicks record as HC prior to Brady. No excuses, just the record. As much as I hate the guy, it’s about 70% + Brady. To say he wouldn’t have been great on the Bills ( or anywhere else) is flat out laughable. The guy is self motivated , and crediting his abilities to any coach is crazy. You can’t make a silk purse from a sows ear. Give a healthy dose of credit for the offense to Josh McDaniels, regardless of his failures as a HC. He schemes up perfect gameplans for that team. This ones pretty easy folks. It’s TB. Superanalyzing the Pats seems to obscure the obvious. What the heck have we all been clamoring for on the board for years on end ? A great QB. Not a coach, a QB. It’s what matters. Now, can we stop with the Pats threads? 

Edited by Boatdrinks
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Agree 100% with all of this.

I'll also add that Belichick knows the NFL rules better than anyone on earth - and he uses that knowledge to his advantage.

What most people call "cheating," is really just knowing the rules and using them to their benefit.

The second sentence is correct.

The third sentence should be re-written "some of what people call "cheating" is really just knowing the rules....

I don't think there should be much doubt at this point that some of what people call "cheating" by Belichick and the Pats, is just cheating (Spygate, radio shenanigans etc)

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, H2o said:

I got Brady. How many SB wins do the Pats have without him as the starter?

Maybe none.  I voted Belichick, but without one, the other wouldn't be anywhere near as successful.  The Pats got the right combination between the two, whether luck or very keen insight...not sure which.  

12 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't think there should be much doubt at this point that some of what people call "cheating" by Belichick and the Pats, is just cheating (Spygate, radio shenanigans etc)

If you're not cheating, you're not trying...

3 hours ago, K-9 said:

From ABC news:

Sure but he’s actually 54-61 lifetime without Brady at QB. And the majority of the 13 wins referenced were with basically the same roster that had nearly gone undefeated the season prior. 

Belichick probably had more to do with this past seasons super bowl win in shutting down the Rams. And if they continue to play at a high level the next few years, It will likely be in part to BB assembling 6 draft picks in the first 3 rounds this past draft. He's restocking the shelves as defending champion. Once he's on top, he knows better than anyone how to stay there.

• Like (+1) 1

I think it is very nuanced, and as much predicated on Belichick the GM as it is on Belichick the coach and Brady the QB.  Without instilling "The Patriot W..." :sick:? ?... sorry, I couldn't get through that without it maki...  :sick:? ?... ok, I'm feeling better now.  Without Belichick instilling the culture in the locker room that he has he wouldn't have managed to underpay players and keep his teams together as well as he has with the degree of success that he's had.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/quarterback/  Brady hasn't been higher than top 12 in pay since 2012, and often times he's hovering in the high teens or low 20s.  For context, he made less than Tyrod did in Cleveland last year.  There are other players over the years who could have gotten paid considerably more by going somewhere else, as well.  This essentially allows them to legally circumvent the salary cap.  If Brady and other players like Gronk end up getting gifted chunks of the team or some other BS after they retire the league should take a decade's worth of draft picks IMO.

24 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Sure but he’s actually 54-61 lifetime without Brady at QB. And the majority of the 13 wins referenced were with basically the same roster that had nearly gone undefeated the season prior. 

...and most of the losses came with the Brown’s roster. I’m thinking maybe it’s more complicated than this guy or that guy? Would Brady have gotten all those rings in a Bills uniform? I blame @Gugny for starting this mess! He tricked us! 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

...and most of the losses came with the Brown’s roster. I’m thinking maybe it’s more complicated than this guy or that guy? Would Brady have gotten all those rings in a Bills uniform? I blame @Gugny for starting this mess! He tricked us! 

Right...so the composition of your roster, specifically at the most important position, will inform your W/L% far more than a particular HC. We are in accordance.

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Right...so the composition of your roster, specifically at the most important position, will inform your W/L% far more than a particular HC. We are in accordance.

No. Nice try. I never said that. BB is also playing the GM role, setting up the roster. I think he’s better at coaching them than drafting them, but he gets who fit what he wants. I never gave full credit to the QB because the the MVP of the players. It’s a TEAM game, and it all counts. I voted BB. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

No. Nice try. I never said that. BB is also playing the GM role, setting up the roster. I think he’s better at coaching them than drafting them, but he gets who fit what he wants. I never gave full credit to the QB because the the MVP of the players. It’s a TEAM game, and it all counts. I voted BB. 

It’s ok to be wrong, but just remember I gave you every chance to be right.

7 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

It’s ok to be wrong, but just remember I gave you every chance to be right.

I don’t think either would be the same alone. So I’m eager to see how you plan to prove yourself to be right. (And you’re safe because I can’t prove you wrong, so yawn..... on the cocky attitude.)  Brady at times put up Tyrod numbers last year, and a QB getting one year older is a bigger deal than a HC being one year older. 

1 minute ago, Augie said:

I don’t think either would be the same alone. So I’m eager to see how you plan to prove yourself to be right. (And you’re safe because I can’t prove you wrong, so yawn..... on the cocky attitude.)  Brady at times put up Tyrod numbers last year, and a QB getting one year older is a bigger deal than a HC being one year older. 

It’s not so much being cocky as it is wanting to give others the opportunity to sip from my fountain of right-ness. 

One doesn't happen without the other, but since I'm forced to pick one it has to be Brady.  He's taken less cash for years allowing the team to stock their roster relatively well & he's put up with Belichick's BS where any other Prima Donna QB would have rebelled years ago. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

One doesn't happen without the other, but since I'm forced to pick one it has to be Brady.  He's taken less cash for years allowing the team to stock their roster relatively well & he's put up with Belichick's BS where any other Prima Donna QB would have rebelled years ago. 

The “cheapo” contracts are a real factor.

He’s a stinking gold digger! 

4 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

We don’t know that for sure, but we DO know that Belichick doesn’t happen without Brady.