Snow Game - Bills Colts 2017 - 2pt Conversion

20 minutes ago, Doc said:

It was the right call.   He was past 1yard from the LOS. 

Agreed, Doc -- and I never understood the debate on this call. Aiken takes a good 2-1/2 steps/hops forward before he makes contact with Hyde. That's gotta be >1 yard beyond LOS. A receiver (or lineman) can legally block beyond one yard from LOS as long as continuing contact that initiated within one yard, but Aiken's initial contact looked pretty clearly beyond 1 yard; close, but clearly over. Hell, you can even measure the distance from the tracks in the snow. OTOH, if the Patriots had been running that play, I can imagine the outcome ... ?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Stranded in Boston said:

Agreed, Doc -- and I never understood the debate on this call. Aiken takes a good 2-1/2 steps/hops forward before he makes contact with Hyde. That's gotta be >1 yard beyond LOS. A receiver (or lineman) can legally block beyond one yard from LOS as long as continuing contact that initiated within one yard, but Aiken's initial contact looked pretty clearly beyond 1 yard; close, but clearly over. Hell, you can even measure the distance from the tracks in the snow. OTOH, if the Patriots had been running that play, I can imagine the outcome ... ?

It occurred at the 1.  (IMO)

1 minute ago, Cripple Creek said:

Within a yard of the LOS it's a legal play.

I go more to the intent of the rule. There’s bound to be contact that close to the line of scrimmage. In this case the receiver actually turns back towards the center of the field to block (pick) the defender. I believe he was a ‘victim’ of his own poor execution of the move.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

It occurred at the 1.  (IMO)

Hmm, my view is that Hyde does not move forward more than one yard from the (dug-out) goal line. Ball is snapped at the 2; ergo Aiken's contact is >1 yard from LOS. But I could imagine somebody seeing it differently. Just good thing for us you weren't ref'ing that day, Cripple!  :D Also, I never understood the "blocked into the endzone" bit. Seems irrelevant to the rule at hand.

Edited by Stranded in Boston
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I go more to the intent of the rule. There’s bound to be contact that close to the line of scrimmage. In this case the receiver actually turns back towards the center of the field to block (pick) the defender. I believe he was a ‘victim’ of his own poor execution of the move.

Players are blocking on screen passes, no?

2 hours ago, Augie said:

I fear the new PI Challenge rule is going to be a horrible mess. Hope it’s not as bad as I envision. 

Oh, I'm certain it will be terrible

41 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

The bigger issue with this game was McD played for a tie when a tie eliminated them from playoff race. 

Agree

I like McD as a coach, but yeah...that was bad.

The Colt's also should've been flagged for the entire team clearing a spot for the holder on Vinatieri's game winning attempt. Yes, he missed but still should've been flagged. Thing tend balance themselves out throughout the course of the game. Unless you're the Saints, then you're just *****. 

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

That's a good point. All Aiken had to was get in the path of the defender (he could have literally just stood there), no reason to engage.  Couple this with the poor traction, there is no way any DB can recover. Very poor execution.

7 minutes ago, Captain Murica said:

The Colt's also should've been flagged for the entire team clearing a spot for the holder on Vinatieri's game winning attempt. Yes, he missed but still should've been flagged. Thing tend balance themselves out throughout the course of the game. Unless you're the Saints, then you're just *****. 

Hmm, I thought this was instituted starting in 2018.  I was under the impression this game was a driving force behind it.  Maybe they redefined the rule in 2018? 

3 hours ago, matter2003 said:

The Saints didn't lose because of the Robey non call. They lost because they failed to bury a team that gave them every chance to bury them early in the game when they literally couldnt complete a pass or get a first down for the first quarter and a half.

They were up 10-0 with all the momentum and another score would have likely opened the floodgates. When a team gives you chances to bury them AT HOME with thw crowd going crazy and them looking scared to death and you fail to cash them in you have nobody to blame but yourself for losing. They should have won by 20+ points.

The Saints didn't lose because of the call.  But had the correct call been made, pass interference OR helmet to helmet they have a first and goal inside the 5 and a chip shot FG to win at the gun, as they could have run the clock down having a fresh set of downs.  They simply would have won if either right call was made.  We'd have lost our minds had our season ended like that.

Edited by Bills fan since 87

3 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

It was a bad call. We were well past due for one in our favor.

We could go back to the year we lost to Pittsburgh's 3rd stringers to stay out of the playoffs and likely find a play or two that season if called correctly might have made all the difference.

I just watched it and the 2 pt for NE to beat ATL in superbowl and if the Colts were even questionable then NE clearly had 2 guys breaking the same rule. I know why bother but it is why the NFL officials are a joke-they find reasons to make calls some moments and ignore obvious ones depending on game.

40 minutes ago, Captain Murica said:

I disagree on them balancing themselves out. I think the NFL officals look for certain things and miss a ton of obvious fouls because they expect certain things and run the game accordingly.

The call was very close and probably could have gone either way. More often than not, they probably don't call that. But, by the letter of the law, I do think it was a foul. If you pause the video at the exact moment that he makes contact, his left foot is about one foot from the goal line (which you can see because it has been cleared off). When his foot next moves, it is on the goal line. So, at best, his back (right) foot could have been on or near the the one yard line, but the majority of his body had to be beyond the one yard line. It was a clear pick play. He wasn't going out for a pattern, he was there to pick the defenders off. I believe the one yard rule is really to allow a WR to block on a running play, not to allow pick plays (as long as its near the line of scrimmage). So, by both the letter and the spirit of the law, it was probably the right call, even if the refs often don't make that call on similar plays.

1 hour ago, BillsM@fia said:

That's a good point. All Aiken had to was get in the path of the defender (he could have literally just stood there), no reason to engage.  Couple this with the poor traction, there is no way any DB can recover. Very poor execution.

Hmm, I thought this was instituted starting in 2018.  I was under the impression this game was a driving force behind it.  Maybe they redefined the rule in 2018? 

"The snow-clearing policies are in the game day operations manual, since it largely applied to grounds crews. (It also includes when and where they do authorized line clearing.) Since the provision wasn’t in the rule book, Allen had to warn the sideline before assessing any penalties. Now, if non-player personnel attempt to clear snow off the field on a kick play, a 15-yard unsportsmanlike penalty will be enforced without any warnings, which is the only practical difference between 2017 and 2018."

Yup, you're correct. Which is dumb because you could clear a spot and just receive a warning which makes it worth it. 

Edited by Captain Murica