Snow Game - Bills Colts 2017 - 2pt Conversion

What are your thoughts on the pass interference/illegal blocking on the 2pt conversion at the end of regulation.  If this doesn't get called, we are likely still in our playoff drought.

The highlights can be found on Youtube.

In your opinion, was it any of the following:

-Bad call by the refs?

-Good call by the refs?  The announcer comments that this should not have been called within 1 yard of the line of scrimmage.  If two point conversions start at the two yard line, it appears the incident happened about 1 yard from the line of scrimmage.  Very close situation.  

-The Bills were still alive in the playoff race at the time and the Colts were eliminated, did this play a factor in the call? (I don't care if it did, as the Bills had many calls go the other way during the drought)

Let me know you think!

Edited by BillsM@fia

33 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

It was a bad call. Legal play. 

Oh well...It seems bad calls have happened against us way more than for us over the years. 

And the Colts had more opportunities to close the game out as well.  We threw a pick deep in our own territory right after this play happened and there was overtime.

I'm a firm believer things like make up calls or teams playing for something vs. an opponent who's season is over may get the benefit of the doubt as well.  I think there are some elements of that in play here.   You could also make the argument the snow impacted the decision by the ref as well.

9 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

No disrespect OP, it’s a play/game almost 2 years old now.  I tend to think more moving forward 

People talk about past games/plays all the time here.  May - July is the deadest time of the year for the NFL, so I thought it would be something interesting to discuss. 

Edited by BillsM@fia
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, BillsM@fia said:

And the Colts had more opportunities to close the game out as well.  We threw a pick deep in our own territory right after this play happened and there was overtime.

I'm a firm believer things like make up calls or teams playing for something vs. an opponent who's season is over may get the benefit of the doubt as well.  I think there are some elements of that in play here.   You could also make the argument the snow impacted the decision by the ref as well.

I don’t really care about their opportunities after in this discussion. It was a bad call. That’s like saying the blatant Robey PI non-call last year wasn’t a big deal because the saints had opportunity after.  

Im not a big believer in makeup calls or other theories. Game moves to quick for that. It was a bad call. Snow may have been a factor. Like I said before, oh well, we’ve gotten way more bad breaks than good ones over the last 20 years. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty

4 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I don’t really care about their opportunities after in this discussion. It was a bad call. That’s like saying the blatant Robey PI non-call last year wasn’t a big deal because the saints had opportunity after.  

That's fair.  Opportunities after are not important, I was digressing a bit.  You're absolutely correct the spirit of my question was the play/call itself.

9 minutes ago, BillsM@fia said:

That's fair.  Opportunities after are not important, I was digressing a bit.  You're absolutely correct the spirit of my question was the play/call itself.

It was a bad call. We were well past due for one in our favor.

We could go back to the year we lost to Pittsburgh's 3rd stringers to stay out of the playoffs and likely find a play or two that season if called correctly might have made all the difference.

• Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Im not a big believer in makeup calls or other theories. Game moves to quick for that. It was a bad call. Snow may have been a factor. Like I said before, oh well, we’ve gotten way more bad breaks than good ones over the last 20 years. 

The Saints didn't lose because of the Robey non call. They lost because they failed to bury a team that gave them every chance to bury them early in the game when they literally couldnt complete a pass or get a first down for the first quarter and a half.

They were up 10-0 with all the momentum and another score would have likely opened the floodgates. When a team gives you chances to bury them AT HOME with thw crowd going crazy and them looking scared to death and you fail to cash them in you have nobody to blame but yourself for losing. They should have won by 20+ points.

Edited by matter2003

41 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

So, under the new rules, this is challengeable?  Offensive pass interference. (well this would have come from the Booth being under two minutes/scoring play)

Edited by BillsM@fia

The Colts game is always the one I think of as being most pivotal in that season in terms of the Bills making the playoffs. I know that's silly, because obviously ALL wins were necessary to make the playoffs. But for some reason -- I suppose because that game swung back and forth so many times and was SO close to going the other way -- this is the one I come back to.

I remember being so irritated by all of the snow on the ground, because the Colts were awful that year and I just KNEW the Bills would've beaten them handily had the weather not been a factor. Instead, I knew the snow would be leveling the playing field. And sure enough, the Colts almost won.

The critical factors? Vinatieri's missed kick toward the end (by inches!), the two point call you mentioned, and most of all: Nathan Peterman and Kelvin Benjamin. We would not have won that game without Kelvin's big sideline catch followed by his toe-tapping end zone catch right before halftime. It was really the only thing of note that he contributed in his entire time as a Bill. And in fairness to Peterman, both of the aforementioned passes were right on the money, which was no sure thing based on the wind and Peterman's lack of arm strength.

Crazy game.

8 minutes ago, BillsM@fia said:

So, under the new rules, this is challengeable?  Offensive pass interference. (well this would have come from the Booth being under two minutes/scoring play)

I fear the new PI Challenge rule is going to be a horrible mess. Hope it’s not as bad as I envision. 

7 minutes ago, Logic said:

The Colts game is always the one I think of as being most pivotal in that season in terms of the Bills making the playoffs. I know that's silly, because obviously ALL wins were necessary to make the playoffs. But for some reason -- I suppose because that game swung back and forth so many times and was SO close to going the other way -- this is the one I come back to.

I remember being so irritated by all of the snow on the ground, because the Colts were awful that year and I just KNEW the Bills would've beaten them handily had the weather not been a factor. Instead, I knew the snow would be leveling the playing field. And sure enough, the Colts almost won.

The critical factors? Vinatieri's missed kick toward the end (by inches!), the two point call you mentioned, and most of all: Nathan Peterman and Kelvin Benjamin. We would not have won that game without Kelvin's big sideline catch followed by his toe-tapping end zone catch right before halftime. It was really the only thing of note that he contributed in his entire time as a Bill. And in fairness to Peterman, both of the aforementioned passes were right on the money, which was no sure thing based on the wind and Peterman's lack of arm strength.

Crazy game.

I agree with everything you said.  It was very frustrating, because the Bills would have waltz'd over this Colts team but the snow evened the playing field.  (Oh and Tyrod was injured as well).

Yep, it is silly as all games are important when making the playoffs, but I thought this was the most pivotal play in the most pivotal game.

But hey, if we have to play in another Blizzard again this season, we have a 1-2 punch at running back (Gore/McCoy) that is well equipped to weather the elements.

Edited by BillsM@fia
  • Like (+1) 1