Cards Great Bob Gibson Has Pancreatic Cancer

...very sad...pancreatic cancer rarely has a good outcome....lost four relatives to it...........

St. Louis Cardinals great Bob Gibson diagnosed with pancreatic cancer

ESPN-2:04AM

Hall of Fame right-hander Bob Gibson, who won the Cy Young and National League MVP awards in 1968, sent a letter to living Hall of Famers informing them he is battling pancreatic cancer.

Gibson, widely considered one of the greatest pitchers of all time, was diagnosed with cancer several weeks ago, his longtime agent, Dick Zitzmann, told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

Zitzmann told the newspaper that he has spoken to Gibson and that chemotherapy is expected to begin Monday in Omaha, Nebraska, the pitcher's hometown. Gibson, who turns 84 in November, has been hospitalized in Omaha for the past two weeks.

"We all know what a competitor he is," Zitzmann told the Post-Dispatch.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27184110/hofer-bob-gibson-says-pancreatic-cancer

• Sad 1

Just an incredible talent.

The reason the mound was lowered.

My favorite Bob Gibson story was when Cards catcher Tim  McCarver came to the mound for a visit, and Gibson said"

" What are you doing here. 

Just give me the ball.

The only thing you know about pitching is that its hard to hit." 

Edited by sherpa
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, K-9 said:

F cancer. 

If anyone can take it to extra innings, it’s Bob Gibson. 

...sure hope so, but pancreatic is usually very aggressive and general fatal despite chemo......surgery is not a regular option due to a major artery in the pancreas.....nick and and the patient bleeds out......

1 hour ago, sherpa said:

Just an incredible talent.

The reason the mound was lowered.

My favorite Bob Gibson story was when Cards catcher Tim  McCarver came to the mound for a visit, and Gibson said"

" What are you doing here. 

Just give me the ball.

The only thing you know about pitching is that its hard to hit." 

McCarver was bringing the ball to the mound to take a second to point out that the scoreboard behind Hoot showed he had just set the strikeout record for a World Series game.

A Clemente line drive fractured Gibson’s leg and he faced three more batters before the fibula snapped off the ankle 

I would like to get sports back to where I could have men like Clemente and Gibson out there

as competitors and more importantly as men

even feeling 10 percent this way about a current athlete would be nice

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, row_33 said:

I would like to get sports back to where I could have men like Clemente and Gibson out there

You may have to regress to a prepubescent adolescent in order to recapture that feeling.

But there are plenty of athletes today who embody the same character as Clemente and Gibson. I think the A-holes get just as much attention, unfortunately.

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

You may have to regress to a prepubescent adolescent in order to recapture that feeling.

But there are plenty of athletes today who embody the same character as Clemente and Gibson. I think the A-holes get just as much attention, unfortunately.

Brady?

LeBron?

not within a million miles....

go ahead, name the humanitarian like Clemente who was also one of the greatest of his day, gave his life..... hope I’m not teaching you this....

5 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...sure hope so, but pancreatic is usually very aggressive and general fatal despite chemo......surgery is not a regular option due to a major artery in the pancreas.....nick and and the patient bleeds out......

I may have mentioned this before on here, but one of my buddies has pancreatic cancer in his 20's. This was 30 years ago before technology is what it is today. I'm not sure what  stage it was, but they ended up doing several exploratory surgeries and got it all. He's pushing 60 these days and all in all is in pretty good health aside from some sore feet. No cancer is good obviously,  but pancreatic cancer is one of the worst from what I've seen. I'm sure at Bob's age its going to be a tough row to how, but hopefully he can give it hell.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Brady?

LeBron?

not within a million miles....

go ahead, name the humanitarian like Clemente who was also one of the greatest of his day, gave his life..... hope I’m not teaching you this....

JJ Watt for starters. 

If the measurement involves getting killed in a plane crash while in pursuit of your humanitarian efforts, I hope nobody ever has to go that far again. 

18 hours ago, row_33 said:

Wimbledon final gave a glimpse but overall I agree.  Godspeed to Gibson.

• Thank you (+1) 1