CBS Lists Top 10 Coaches, include McDermott

9 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

Always nice to get positive publicity, but, errors (mentioned above) & Mike Tomlin made me stop reading.  If Tomlin is the 10th best coach in the league then there is a greater shortage of good coaches vs. good QBs.

Writer must be a William & Mary Grad.

9 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

Always nice to get positive publicity, but, errors (mentioned above) & Mike Tomlin made me stop reading.  If Tomlin is the 10th best coach in the league then there is a greater shortage of good coaches vs. good QBs.

Tomlin is a decent coach...

6 hours ago, Gugny said:

I have always been a big Tomlin fan.  But those problem players became problem players because of Tomlin's coaching style.  He created that monster by letting them do as they please and he lost the team.

When you have a HOF QB, the best WR in the game and a top 3 RB ... not competing for an AFC Championship every year is a failure, IMO.

I think the Tomlin ship has sailed.

Idk if anyone could set AB and LB to be the guys you expect out of Pittsburgh.

He inherited Big Ben who I believe only compounds issues.

6 hours ago, billsfan_34 said:

Tomlin has been blessed with a good organization and a good QB with loads of shiny toys along the way.  Last year may have been an anomaly as the rails came off the tracks but on the flip side much of it was his doing- he lost control of his team. 

I don't agree with this at all. An RB held out that he had nothing to do with, and he benched AB which I think is something a person making your point would like.

It was a tough situation. Idk if anyone could manage it. The only way to manage is to win. If you don't, you get the crap he's getting.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, skibum said:

The Super Bowl is a pretty big game, so I’m told, and Tomlin has won twice.

Tomlin won once, the 2008 Steelers beat the Cardinals.  Cowher's 2005 Steeler team beat the Seahawks.  Cowher retired in January, 2007.

2 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Tomlin is a decent coach...

Idk if anyone could set AB and LB to be the guys you expect out of Pittsburgh.

He inherited Big Ben who I believe only compounds issues.

I don't agree with this at all. An RB held out that he had nothing to do with, and he benched AB which I think is something a person making your point would like.

It was a tough situation. Idk if anyone could manage it. The only way to manage is to win. If you don't, you get the crap he's getting.

Very good point. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

You tell that to former Patriots.

Belicheck has power in the Patriot organization that no other coach has.  He can get rid of players and they

know it will happen.  Any other coach has to deal with owners/management.  And Belichick still can't 

control everyone.  A lot of players leave for that reason.

Edited by purple haze

9 hours ago, billsfan_34 said:

Have you been in a locker room before? If the answer is yes, than surely you understand the coach is accountable for discipline and keeping the peace, which Tomlin failed to do. If Tomlin allowed the Big Ben to be in charge because the GM said so, shame on him. 

Yes.  A professional locker room is not like other locker rooms though.   There are other concerns.  Could Tomlin just get rid of his problem children for continued problem causing or no?  If the answer is no, that's his biggest power.  Keeping the peace and discipline sometimes means getting rid of the problem.  That's not feasible in the NFL.  Big Ben and AB won't change.  And the organization will not let the coach cut them.  They still weren't really even trying to trade him this spring until they had absolutely no other choice. And this ain't high school or college.  Get rid of Ben there isn't another equitable option waiting to take his spot.

10 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

Difficult for me to follow your reasoning, but he laid the groundwork that allowed all of that locker room stuff to happen.  He does not, IMO, have the respect of his players so, they under-performed and imploded.

Under performed how?  They haven't been below .500 in his tenure.  They've made the playoffs 8 of 12 seasons.  They are consistently good.  They've been in two Super Bowls.  I'm not saying Tomlin is a perfect coach.  But this idea he is not a good coach is strange to the say the least.  And most of his players do respect him.  You're talking about AB and James Harrison, two malcontents.  And in Brown a player teammates criticized openly..  And who, Leveon Bell?  He had issues with management moreso than Tomlin, and yet another player teammates criticized openly.  Meanwhile Tomlin has coached hundreds of players.  

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, purple haze said:

Under performed how?  They haven't been below .500 in his tenure.  They've made the playoffs 8 of 12 seasons.  They are consistently good.  They've been in two Super Bowls.  I'm not saying Tomlin is a perfect coach.  But this idea he is not a good coach is strange to the say the least.  And most of his players do respect him.  You're talking about AB and James Harrison, two malcontents.  And in Brown a player teammates criticized openly..  And who, Leveon Bell?  He had issues with management moreso than Tomlin, and yet another player teammates criticized openly.  Meanwhile Tomlin has coached hundreds of players.  

He has so many issues with divas he is practically dating them.

18 hours ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

Quickly is a relative term.  The rams making the super bowl is pretty quick.  Think McDermott is more of a plodders pace. 

I'm calling apples to oranges...mcvay took over when the team already had some good talent...sure he had to get some more but it's probably easier when you already have a top RB and franchise QB

While I certainly get the argument around Tomlin, but who is the glaring omission?

Just over half the nfl coaches have a full season.  8 teams flipped this off season.  So a top 10 list is really out of 15-17 guys.

you've got the Grudens, Dougie, Quinn etc. I’d Rather Tomlin.

Now McDermott, I believe he is a good one but that benefit of the doubt for the playoffs with a low end roster in ‘17 expires this season. Time for new results. 

5 hours ago, purple haze said:

They HAD the top WR. They HAD the top RB in the game. They have a borderline HOF QB.  Like the 90's Bills they have not been able to fully capitalize on that talent.  I'm supposing that many Steelers fans think that consistently good isn't good enough when you take their talent into account.  If he had the respect of the players, not just the two you mention, and he was a top 10 coach then he is under performing.  Your standards aren't high enough.  He's a rich man's Jeff Fisher.

20 hours ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

What do you think the standard is to build a contending NFL team.  it’s not the 1970s.  Pete carrol with the Seahawks and Sean Mcvay with the rams define “quickly”  in the 2010’s.  McDermott has already missed the modern “quick” standard   Does not mean he is a bad coach.  he is just an unproven coach who is still in the “potemtial” category than in the “proven success “ category. 

The Seahawks went 7-9 their first two years under Carrol.... this is a stupid argument. Year three is and always will be the defining part of a rebuild.

15 hours ago, skibum said:

The Super Bowl is a pretty big game, so I’m told, and Tomlin has won twice.

He's won once.  George W. Bush was still President that season.

In the past 7 seasons, he has missed the playoffs 3 times and has had one Conference champ appearance where he was toyed with by Belichick.

And this is with a solid history of stacked offenses, and last year, a top 6 D.

What is Mike Tomlin really good at?

23 hours ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

Quickly is a relative term.  The rams making the super bowl is pretty quick.  Think McDermott is more of a plodders pace. 

I want it and I want it now or I throw a temper tantrum!

6 hours ago, whatdrought said:

The Seahawks went 7-9 their first two years under Carrol.... this is a stupid argument. Year three is and always will be the defining part of a rebuild.

That would be a great trivia question. Everyone assumes the Seahawks were immediately great when Carroll got there. 

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

They are trending in a great direction? 

Little premature don't you think? They went 6-10 last season. 

Are the Bears an anomaly as well? How bout the Eagles in 2017? 

Neither the Bears nor Eagles made waves in their QBs’ rookie seasons.