CBS Lists Top 10 Coaches, include McDermott

27 minutes ago, row_33 said:

I will never accept 6-10 as outperforming expectations 

NEVER!!!!

Well, that's your call.

Taking a full view of last year, including the massive dead cap we ate while starting a rookie "project" quarterback, I view the team's development and late season momentum/excitement as outperforming expectations. Let's agree to disagree.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, billsfan_34 said:

Tomlin has been blessed with a good organization and a good QB with loads of shiny toys along the way.  Last year may have been an anomaly as the rails came off the tracks but on the flip side much of it was his doing- he lost control of his team. 

Just about any coach who would be on a list of "successful" coaches has been blessed the same way.   I disagree last year was his doing.  One grown man does not control another grown man.  And when the GM tells the world the QB is in charge of all the players..?  

3 hours ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

What do you think the standard is to build a contending NFL team.  it’s not the 1970s.  Pete carrol with the Seahawks and Sean Mcvay with the rams define “quickly”  in the 2010’s.  McDermott has already missed the modern “quick” standard   Does not mean he is a bad coach.  he is just an unproven coach who is still in the “potemtial” category than in the “proven success “ category. 

You and the “you can turn it around in a year or two” crowd are just wrong. The Rams are an anomaly, and regardless, they had their QB and RB when McVay took the job. 

Listen to a guy like Pat Kirwan who says it’s only fair to give a coach and GM five year contracts if you really want to give them a chance. 

McD and Beane have this team trending in a great direction, and those of us not complaining about “tearing down the empire Whaley built” are ready to enjoy the ride. 

Edited by eball
  • Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Cripple Creek said:

He has not come close to getting the best out of his team (IMO) and his lackadaisical attitude let, in the words of an NFL owner, the inmates run the asylum.  

It's lackadaisical to treat grown men as grown men?  Is he really going to cut his backbiting, but HOF caliber QB and selfish, but HOF caliber WR?  Would you?  That's the only way to truly ensure control.  The GM and owner are going to allow that?  The GM that referred to the other players as kids the QB was "in charge of"?  Most of that team loves Tomlin.  In life one grown man does not control another grown man.  If you really want to to do something that another person does not want you to do, there is nothing they can truly do to stop you from doing it until after the fact.  And that's without a contract being involved.  

22 minutes ago, purple haze said:

It's lackadaisical to treat grown men as grown men?  Is he really going to cut his backbiting, but HOF caliber QB and selfish, but HOF caliber WR?  Would you?  That's the only way to truly ensure control.  The GM and owner are going to allow that?  The GM that referred to the other players as kids the QB was "in charge of"?  Most of that team loves Tomlin.  In life one grown man does not control another grown man.  If you really want to to do something that another person does not want you to do, there is nothing they can truly do to stop you from doing it until after the fact.  And that's without a contract being involved.  

Difficult for me to follow your reasoning, but he laid the groundwork that allowed all of that locker room stuff to happen.  He does not, IMO, have the respect of his players so, they under-performed and imploded.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, eball said:

You and the “you can turn it around in a year or two” crowd are just wrong. The Rams are an anomaly, and regardless, they had their QB and RB when McVay took the job. 

Listen to a guy like Pat Kirwan who says it’s only fair to give a coach and GM five year contracts if you really want to give them a chance. 

McD and Beane have this team trending in a great direction, and those of us not complaining about “tearing down the empire Whaley built” are ready to enjoy the ride. 

Do you know how long McD and Beane are under contract for?  Did they get 5 year plans?

...McDermott gives me the impression he is on his own predefined mission, whether anyone agrees or not...very deliberate, determined, rigid and form fitting....in his mind, he foresees the end positive result.......tell me why I should doubt him?......in lock step with McBeane?.....eventually yes....bumps. bruises and disagreements along the way?...of course......sign of a good team is to come to an eventual consensus....when have we had this type of organizational prowess and discipline during the "drought"?......tell me and I'll go back under my rock........

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think McBean are trying to replicate what succeeded in Carolina....even picking Allen who is sort of a Cam Newton like QB...big physical, can run...and Cam hasn't been a polished passer either  6 or 7 years in.  None the less, the two seem organized, and recall, Bean did not show up until almost a year later, so McD was on his own with Whaley hanging on until a new guy was brought in...which was inevitable.

2 hours ago, purple haze said:

Just about any coach who would be on a list of "successful" coaches has been blessed the same way.   I disagree last year was his doing.  One grown man does not control another grown man.  And when the GM tells the world the QB is in charge of all the players..?  

Have you been in a locker room before? If the answer is yes, than surely you understand the coach is accountable for discipline and keeping the peace, which Tomlin failed to do. If Tomlin allowed the Big Ben to be in charge because the GM said so, shame on him. 

7 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

Always nice to get positive publicity, but, errors (mentioned above) & Mike Tomlin made me stop reading.  If Tomlin is the 10th best coach in the league then there is a greater shortage of good coaches vs. good QBs.

I think Cowher would have won several more SBs had he not retired.

2 hours ago, purple haze said:

You tell that to former Patriots.