CBS Lists Top 10 Coaches, include McDermott

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/top-10-head-coaches-in-nfl-bill-belichick-still-reigns-but-who-fills-out-the-rest-of-the-list/

I believe the Bills significantly out performed expectations in '17 & '18, due in no small part to McDermott's leadership and coaching. It seems that CBS agrees.

With the current roster overhaul, McDermott is facing a huge challenge to put it all together, and quickly. From what I've seen to date, I am confident he will.

2019 is a real "Coach of the Year" opportunity in Bills Country.   

• Like (+1) 7

56 minutes ago, RochesterLifer said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/top-10-head-coaches-in-nfl-bill-belichick-still-reigns-but-who-fills-out-the-rest-of-the-list/

I believe the Bills significantly out performed expectations in '17 & '18, due in no small part to McDermott's leadership and coaching. It seems that CBS agrees.

With the current roster overhaul, McDermott is facing a huge challenge to put it all together, and quickly. From what I've seen to date, I am confident he will.

Quickly is a relative term.  The rams making the super bowl is pretty quick.  Think McDermott is more of a plodders pace. 

• Like (+1) 1

I actually agree with this list for once.  Each one of these coaches has a good reason to be in the top 10.  It’s nice to have one of these writers acknowledge what McD has done so far with not a lot of talent.  Beane has done a nice job this year in adding in free agency and I see 10 wins this year.  I know we can do it if McD can get this new team to gel.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

Quickly is a relative term.  The rams making the super bowl is pretty quick.  Think McDermott is more of a plodders pace. 

In this case, "quickly" refers to this season, with the extreme roster turnover. I have not kept track of the free agent numbers. But (putting my Captain Obvious hat on), our totally revamped offensive line and new receivers will need to come together, quickly. I see that as, along with JA's continuing development, the coaching staff's biggest challenge this year. As I said, McDermott's performance in the first two years bodes well.

Regarding your view of McDermott as a plodder;

- In year one, observers universally predicted a Bills tank. We made the playoffs.

- In year two, the team was built on a fraction of the salary cap. Rather than collapsing with the resulting lack of talent, the team came together and improved throughout the year.

The Bills' positive current and future state is a result of managing through those two years of pain. McDermott is not a plodder. He is a high quality NFL head coach and a true leader.     

Edited by RochesterLifer
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

It's an OK list, not sure as someone else mentioned that Tomlin belongs there. It's a better list than some of the other ones who have listed Freddie Kitchens as a better coach than McD even though he HASN'T COACHED A GAME YET. Yes there are lists like that out there. Training camp can't start soon enough for some of these sportswriters.

I think somebody else did a listing of best coaches earlier in the offseason where McDermott didn't get a sniff of top ten.  It shows how subjective an exercise like this is, except for guys like Belichick who've won multiple championships.  That said, I like McDermott a lot and think he is an outstanding head coach.  I hope the time is coming when that can be measured in championships.

1 hour ago, Cripple Creek said:

Going into year 3. Yup he's a plodder. I miss Rex too.

What do you think the standard is to build a contending NFL team.  it’s not the 1970s.  Pete carrol with the Seahawks and Sean Mcvay with the rams define “quickly”  in the 2010’s.  McDermott has already missed the modern “quick” standard   Does not mean he is a bad coach.  he is just an unproven coach who is still in the “potemtial” category than in the “proven success “ category. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

What do you think the standard is to build a contending NFL team.  it’s not the 1970s.  Pete carrol with the Seahawks and Sean Mcvay with the rams define “quickly”  in the 2010’s.  McDermott has already missed the modern “quick” standard   Does not mean he is a bad coach.  he is just an unproven coach who is still in the “potemtial” category than in the “proven success “ category. 

In fairness to McDermott, McVay had most of the pieces in place when he became the Rams HC.  He did bring an innovative offensive approach that took advantage of Goff's strengths and allowed them to excel.  McDermott on the other hand wanted a major renovation of the team he inherited, including finding the most critical piece - QB.  I agree with you that at this point, McDermott is still potential and this year should say a lot about what to expect in the following two years.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

Always nice to get positive publicity, but, errors (mentioned above) & Mike Tomlin made me stop reading.  If Tomlin is the 10th best coach in the league then there is a greater shortage of good coaches vs. good QBs.

I'm confused why people believe Tomlin is not a good coach, personally. Just because of their latest crop of problem players?

42 minutes ago, MJS said:

I'm confused why people believe Tomlin is not a good coach, personally. Just because of their latest crop of problem players?

I have always been a big Tomlin fan.  But those problem players became problem players because of Tomlin's coaching style.  He created that monster by letting them do as they please and he lost the team.

When you have a HOF QB, the best WR in the game and a top 3 RB ... not competing for an AFC Championship every year is a failure, IMO.

I think the Tomlin ship has sailed.

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

Always nice to get positive publicity, but, errors (mentioned above) & Mike Tomlin made me stop reading.  If Tomlin is the 10th best coach in the league then there is a greater shortage of good coaches vs. good QBs.

Tomlin has been blessed with a good organization and a good QB with loads of shiny toys along the way.  Last year may have been an anomaly as the rails came off the tracks but on the flip side much of it was his doing- he lost control of his team. 

1 hour ago, MJS said:

He has not come close to getting the best out of his team (IMO) and his lackadaisical attitude let, in the words of an NFL owner, the inmates run the asylum.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, RochesterLifer said:

I will never accept 6-10 as outperforming expectations 

NEVER!!!!