Richie Incognito Suspended 2 Games

CNY315

i don't get the logic. The man was obviously mentally ill at the time. He is being suspended for being mentally ill. That is different from choosing to beat your wife,  or choosing to drink and drive. If he is still mentally ill,  then don't let him play the game. That makes sense. Judge him medically unfit and don't let him play. You don't punish someone for being ill. What a message the NFL is sending about dealing with mental illness. A suspension is a punishment. Punishing someone for a mental illness does not provide a deterrent, you don't choose to get ill. You declare him still ill and get him help. Punishment is inappropriate, and is it even legal?

Edited by simpleman
  • Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, JoPar_v2 said:

So the guy that got the DUI in January gets knocked for 4, and Richie, who menaced a funeral home full of people and threatened to desecrate a corpse, gets 2. More stellar work by Goodell. His dumb*** is still out here throwing darts.

Before I get called out - I am not minimizing DUI - it’s incredibly stupid and dangerous and four games is entirely warranted.

Agree!

That said, this is not Richie's first offence.

39 minutes ago, simpleman said:

i don't get the logic. The man was obviously mentally ill at the time. He is being suspended for being mentally ill. That is different from choosing to beat your wife,  or choosing to drink and drive. If he is still mentally ill,  then don't let him play the game. That makes sense. Judge him medically unfit and don't let him play. You don't punish someone for being ill. What a message the NFL is sending about dealing with mental illness. A suspension is a punishment. Punishing someone for a mental illness does not provide a deterrent, you don't choose to get ill. You declare him still ill and get him help. Punishment is inappropriate, and is it even legal?

Regardless of "mental illness", Richie threatened an establishment full of people with weapons.  Forget the ***** father's head thing. Without the weapon thing, he would have simply been hauled off for a psych e v a l.  Richie's mental illness tends to express itself in danger to others (see gym incidence).   Unfortunately,  someone (Raiders) still believe that they can still make $$$$$$$ off of this guy before he goes totally POSTAL.  

Edited by cd1

4 minutes ago, cd1 said:

Regardless of "mental illness", Richie threatened an establishment full of people with weapons.  Forget the ***** father's head thing. Without the weapon thing, he would have simply been hauled off for a psych e v a l.  Richie's mental illness tends to express itself in danger to others (see gym incidence).   Unfortunately,  someone (Raiders) still believe that they can still make $$$$$$$ off of this guy before he goes totally POSTAL.  

No schitt. The guy might literally snap an opponent’s leg in two out there if he is rubbed the wrong way.

17 hours ago, JoPar_v2 said:

So the guy that got the DUI in January gets knocked for 4, and Richie, who menaced a funeral home full of people and threatened to desecrate a corpse, gets 2. More stellar work by Goodell. His dumb*** is still out here throwing darts.

Before I get called out - I am not minimizing DUI - it’s incredibly stupid and dangerous and four games is entirely warranted.

"desecrate a corpse" is a bit much since he wanted his father's head for testing.  

For the rest I assume you saw same reports as Goodell to be throw darts at him?

16 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

May well be the first time in forum history that a moderator gives himself a ‘time out’ for questionable taste...

MODs can do no wrong.  They can protect trolls banning players who attack posters but trolls do same thing first.  

You may be banned for your post.  Hopefully it is only until games start.

3 hours ago, simpleman said:

Say what??  All the time.  You have to be familiar with his history by now, no?

Anyway,  My guess is that the NFL doesn't want him playing but there is little they can do if a team signs him, but they have no mechanism to prevent him from playing.  They can't force him to undergo psychiatric evaluation.  And even if they did, it is almost certain that such an evaluation would not say he is unfit to play.

So they are stuck with him.  They only have suspensions and the pressure of other owners to blackball him.

4 hours ago, simpleman said:

I doubt this is even workable. Is there a clause in the CBA to mentally evaluate players? Can you require a player to submit to a mental evaluation? Can the NFL set emotional, or mental standards for a franchise's players? Can the NFL arbitrarily set a threshold for what they consider mentally ill? Plus, talk about a slippery slope!

• Like (+1) 1

Richie can play alright, but, is to erratic to justify a roster spot.  Buffalo was fortunate....I think Eric Wood kept Richie on an even keel when Richie was here....and he lacks that kind of help now.  Too bad, there are some people you can't help. (and the Pegs certainly tried to help richie)

6 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

I doubt this is even workable. Is there a clause in the CBA to mentally evaluate players? Can you require a player to submit to a mental evaluation? Can the NFL set emotional, or mental standards for a franchise's players? Can the NFL arbitrarily set a threshold for what they consider mentally ill? Plus, talk about a slippery slope!

You are always fine until you can’t execute out there.

• Thank you (+1) 1

When is this guy going to grow up? Get it over with. Get a Harley and ride with a biker gang.Or has he done that already. Perfect team for him. What exactly is his clinical diagnosis? 

Edited by Rocket94

20 hours ago, JoPar_v2 said:

Apples and oranges.  You have the opinion what he did is worse than DUI, and you seem to think everyone else will think that too except Goodell.  But that is where you are wrong, I get he has had issues but someone going off the deep end at his fathers funeral deserves some consideration.

3 minutes ago, mattynh said:

Apples and oranges.  You have the opinion what he did is worse than DUI, and you seem to think everyone else will think that too except Goodell.  But that is where you are wrong, I get he has had issues but someone going off the deep end at his fathers funeral deserves some consideration.

Thank you Mr Freud

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, mattynh said:

When going "off the deep end," includes threatening to shoot people and expressing the desire to cut his deceased father's head off, I think the only considerations should be to make sure he never owns any firearms (which he still does) and to get him psychologically evaluated and treated.