Report: NFL owners pitch 18-game schedule

nucci

3 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Yes he will find some way to cheat. He always does and fans will say that is great thing to do as long as he and P*ts win.

See post before yours - away game since there are so many complaints from season ticket holders.

...the only reason I can see this asinine proposal being hatched is if you limit a player to 16 games, NFLPA cannot counter with pay increase demands if allowed to play 18.....

Just now, Gugny said:

I like the idea of 18 games.

Stop testing for marijuana and the players won't have a problem with 18 games at all.

That may be the compromise the league is willing to make.  But what do the non-potheads get?

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...the only reason I can see this asinine proposal being hatched is if you limit a player to 16 games, NFLPA cannot counter with pay increase demands if allowed to play 18.....

I wonder how they handled it when they increased number of games to 18.

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

They’d be better off playing three preseason games and simply adding another bye week to the regular season. The European soccer leagues have numerous breaks during their seasons. The NFL would still be on TV the same amount but it would provide players much needed recovery time and allow fans a mid season break as well. (You have to mow the lawn some time!)

Preseason games are not needed...most established players barely play...it's why there is only 1 cut down date so the fringe players stick around to play 

7 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

That may be the compromise the league is willing to make.  But what do the non-potheads get?

They get their teammates who otherwise would have been suspended for a BS reason.

23 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

I wonder how they handled it when they increased number of games to 18.

...just a wild hunch.......player would get 18/16 of their annual contract amount...eliminating 2 pre-season games would be a non-consideration IMO because so many play a series or two anyhow......sure the financially beleaguered Owners would argue differently (COUGH)........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

The players need to only play 16 of the 18 games...I hate that idea.

I want an 18 game seasons.....the other ideas I like that have been brought up:  Expand the gameday roster and the total roster and go with 2 bye weeks.  Only 2 preaseason games..or get rid of the preseason totally.

49 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I like the idea of 18 games.

I don't see why it's such a hardship on players' bodies.  Especially if they force each player to play no more than 16 games.

Also ... how have all those perennial playoff teams survived all these years?  They've played up to 19 games.

How can hockey players in the NHL get through 82 games of a more physically demanding sport?

Stop testing for marijuana and the players won't have a problem with 18 games at all.

They can get high as **** for two of them.

NFL Players bodies can't take an 18 game season. You would need 70 man rosters. I love watching games, so as a fan I am all for it, but right now many teams can barely stay healthy for 16. The roster expansion would be key. I really don't think the players association should vote against increasing the season by 10% if you added 30% more jobs. I do question how much small market cities like Buffalo would have to jack up its prices to pay for that though....

Edited by Locomark

16 minutes ago, Locomark said:

NFL Players bodies can't take an 18 game season. You would need 70 man rosters. I love watching games, so as a fan I am all for it, but right now many teams can barely stay healthy for 16. The roster expansion would be key. I really don't think the players association should vote against increasing the season by 10% if you added 30% more jobs. I do question how much small market cities like Buffalo would have to jack up its prices to pay for that though....

Roster expansion helps for positions that rotate but does not help for players who play every snap.  What about kickers, long snappers and punters?  Are they to use substitutes there?

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Roster expansion helps for positions that rotate but does not help for players who play every snap.  What about kickers, long snappers and punters?  Are they to use substitutes there?

Kickers/Punter rarely get contact.  Its more concerning about key players like the QB.

49 minutes ago, Locomark said:

Thats the idea, drastically reduces the chance of a man getting to his pension

let alone few agency

Saves $$ for the owners

19 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

It's not even just those positions.  Return guys, gunners, how do you rotate the OL guys.

It's going to water down the competition and be a nightmare for Head Coaches.

What if you plan on your starting TE to sit that week and the 2nd string TE gets nicked up in practice.

Now you are forced to start the 3rd string TE.

What if that scenario happens to a punt return guy and the 3rd string guy fumbles 3 punts?

Fans (especially fantasy ((which I am not)) and Vegas bettors) will be pissed.

There will be constant criticism from the fans about who the HC should of sat or should of played for each game.

It's a stupid idea and should not be implemented.

54 minutes ago, Locomark said:

You do understand that this proposal includes a provision that no player is active for more than 16 regular season games?

Just now, row_33 said:

They can barely put competent men out there for 1/3 of roster slots as it is

Good, then solid coaching and FO talent evaluation become even more important.

7 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

You do understand that players get hurt and take a game off in other sports?  

Yes but do other fans?  There were comments against it for that reason including comments from other teams' fans/

I did not say I agree with it.

2 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Yes but do other fans?  There were comments against it for that reason including comments from other teams' fans/

I did not say I agree with it.

Owners are greedy.

Players are greedy.  

They'll figure out a way to make it work.

Fans are an afterthought.

Edited by Cripple Creek