Report: NFL owners pitch 18-game schedule

nucci

I can understand the basis for this...

Grow the pie with $2.5B more in revenue without forcing the players to take on more safety risk.  The owners win and the players (who share in the pie) also win.  I could see this passing as both sides of the negotiation walk away with more money.  The only losers are the fans who watch teams with a different roster every week.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, nucci said:

How do you force a team to play it's backup QB?

Indeed. It’s a dumb, compromised proposal and bad for the fans.

There is a rumor going around that this bad idea may be tweaked to carve out an exception for QBs, however, since they are more protected than other positions by existing rules. Still, it’s a bad idea.

4 minutes ago, nucci said:

How do you force a team to play it's backup QB?

You put it in the rules. However, that part is just to appease the players, who do not want to play in more games than they do currently. Of course, they wanted almost no practice time, no two-a days, don’t want to play in preseason etc etc. 

1 minute ago, Captain Hindsight said:

So as a season ticket holder, do i get a discount to watch Matt Barkley take on Geno Smith?

No that is the same as the preseason ripoff for season ticket holders. The NFL doesn’t care about ticket sales the way they do tv eyeballs. 

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, nucci said:

It would be interesting to see how teams handle their starters.  It's also an incredibly stupid idea.

• Like (+1) 2

I think it would be awesome!

I have long advocating higher seed should get to pick their opponent in the playoffs in all sports. You thing teams are motivated by the "nobody respected us" card now..wait until the starting QB sits against the other team.

Plus, think of the strategy involved..do you sit all your starters one game to get essentially another bye and just eat the L? Does a team like the Bills go the road against the Pats and say..fug it,we aint winning , lets everyone!

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Boatdrinks said:

You put it in the rules. However, that part is just to appease the players, who do not want to play in more games than they do currently. Of course, they wanted almost no practice time, no two-a days, don’t want to play in preseason etc etc. 

I meant from a fans and players perspective...you want your best playing every game

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

We would be facing Brady's backups probably twice year, that would be fun to watch. 

There is no way that the star players sit out for Divisional match ups, even if one team has been stealing the other's lunch money for the past 20-years.  The weakest rosters will be reserved for inter-conference games, that don't count as playoff tiebreakers.

• Like (+1) 2

Shrug. I like it.   Removes two crappy preseason games and replaces it with two meaningful games.  Pro football is incredibly taxing on players.  This gives a chance to for injured players to heal up mid season.  That's safer for the players AND the team to protect the player long term.   Helps make the team/player make smarter decisions on whether to play a guy or not any given week.   I agree on the QB exemption though.

1 minute ago, plenzmd1 said:

I think it would be awesome!

I have long advocating higher seed should get to pick their opponent in the playoffs in all sports. You thing teams are motivated by the "nobody respected us" card now..wait until the starting QB sits against the other team.

Plus, think of the strategy involved..do you sit all your starters one game to get essentially another bye and just eat the L? Does a team like the Bills go the road against the Pats and say..fug it,we aint winning , lets everyone!

If I was a coach I'd just play all my starters the first 16 games because of injury potential.  Then let the chips fall as they may.

does it absolutely positively have to be an even number?  

a 17 game regular season (dropping 1 preseason game to 3 games which it essentially is now anyway) seems like a reasonable compromise.  and it would not necessitate adjusting the current nfl scheduling much since preseason week 4 would become regular season week 1.  

2 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

relax, i was being facetious. We are not going to be one of their two weakest opponents this years, even nothing else the Dolphins.

I'm relaxed and I understood that you were being facetious.  If the league goes this way, I think the strategies for how teams use their healthy scratches will be interesting to see how it plays out.  

Do you take your lumps and mail it in against the league powerhouses?

Do you wait for injuries to happen and then adjust in the second half?

Do rookies sit out the first two weeks to get more practice in before they play their first game?

This change will influence how teams build rosters as teams with depth will have an advantage over teams with the salary cap concentrated into a few players.  Do you want one elite WR with three No. 3's or four No. 2's where your 4th WR  is 3rd on the depth chart six times per year?

1 minute ago, coloradobillsfan said:

does it absolutely positively have to be an even number?  

a 17 game regular season (dropping 1 preseason game to 3 games which it essentially is now anyway) seems like a reasonable compromise.  and it would not necessitate adjusting the current nfl scheduling much since preseason week 4 would become regular season week 1.  

I saw a proposal with 17 games where every team plays one game at a neutral site.  With all of the games played in England and Mexico City, this could work too.