Josh Allen reminds me of Ken Stabler

major

54 minutes ago, njbuff said:

God forbid if Josh Allen isn't the answer at QB..................................

Bills fans will be on suicide watch.

How many more QB failures can this fan base take? ?

Eh believe me I'm pretty much accustomed to bad to mediocre QB play. It's become part of the fun rooting for a very limited QB led offense. And given that Tyrod was really a great find for a team going into training camp with a disgraced EJ, a 5th round Ravens backup with horrible regular season stats (Tyrod in Ravens garbage time), and Thad or whoever was the 3rd... He's really been roasted all things considered.

But yes some here might take this especially hard.

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

Eh believe me I'm pretty much accustomed to bad to mediocre QB play. It's become part of the fun rooting for a very limited QB led offense. And given that Tyrod was really a great find for a team going into training camp with a disgraced EJ, a 5th round Ravens backup with horrible regular season stats (Tyrod in Ravens garbage time), and Thad or whoever was the 3rd. 

But yes some here might take this especially hard.

Yeah. I'm UNcomfortably numb to it. It would be a HUGE setback for the franchise, but it wouldn't be a shock. Been there, done that unfortunately. Many, many, times.

I envy those with unbridled optimism. 

4 minutes ago, inaugural balls said:

really? 

Rivers has nowhere near the athleticism JA has.

Right. And to this point, JA has nowhere near the accuracy or awareness. I see similarities in the moxie, size, improvisation, and quick release.

1 hour ago, LSHMEAB said:

Right. And to this point, JA has nowhere near the accuracy or awareness. I see similarities in the moxie, size, improvisation, and quick release.

I agree on the accuracy. Rivers is masterful. When you mention awareness, I'm thinking pocket. I believe JA has good pocket awareness. He feels pressure and makes something happen with his legs. Something he clearly needs to harness. I think the better talent on the OL coupled with the game slowing down a bit in his 2nd season should hopefully make him react more with his arm capabilities. Trust in himself, the scheme and his teammates.

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, inaugural balls said:

I agree on the accuracy. Rivers is masterful. When you mention awareness, I'm thinking pocket. I believe JA has good pocket awareness. He feels pressure and makes something happen with his legs. Something he clearly needs to harness. I think the better talent on the OL coupled with the game slowing down a bit in his 2nd season should hopefully make him react more with his arm capabilities. Trust in himself, the scheme and his teammates.

Agreed that JA has solid pocket awareness, but hasn't yet consistently demonstrated where and when to distribute the ball. I'm sure this is a focal point of his offseason regimen. Rivers takes his share of sacks, but he's got sneaky good pocket awareness. Slides well and avoids incoming pressure at a pretty high level. I was more comparing their style of play behind the line of scrimmage as well as attitude. They both play with a certain "swag." 

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Like (+1) 1

Elway or Randall Cunningham would come to my mind.  Both had monster arms, weren’t afraid to let it rip and had legs that can beat you.  I think josh is a better runner than Elway, closer to Randall. 

• Haha (+1) 1

14 hours ago, NewEra said:

Elway or Randall Cunningham would come to my mind.  Both had monster arms, weren’t afraid to let it rip and had legs that can beat you.  I think josh is a better runner than Elway, closer to Randall. 

Elway? After a 10 TD 12 INT season? Did you type this after just getting out of the dentist's office while still under anesthesia? 

29 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

Elway? After a 10 TD 12 INT season? Did you type this after just getting out of the dentist's office while still under anesthesia? 

I'm an Allen skeptic, but this thread is theoretical and mainly opinions about how JA's style of play compares to other QB's. Not a prediction than Allen will replicate Elway's success.

Seems like an unnecessarily flippant response.

19 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I'm an Allen skeptic, but this thread is theoretical and mainly opinions about how JA's style of play compares to other QB's. Not a prediction than Allen will replicate Elway's success.

Seems like an unnecessarily flippant response.

I'm not an Allen skeptic, I think he'll be good, but Elway? Sorry, but I think some people say the most outlandish and foolishly optimistic things because they're fishing for likes. I see a QB that struggles with basic mechanics and fundamentals. He is obviously going to improve but let's not act like we're all 5 years old and how he is going to be the next Joe Montana, seems kind of childish to me, sorry if you disagree.

3 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

I had just moved to Colorado and watched Elway's 1st season.

He had 7 TDs and 14 INTs with a 47% completion rate.

He wasn't a STAR his 1st season.

Just saying.

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 hours ago, njbuff said:

God forbid if Josh Allen isn't the answer at QB..................................

Bills fans will be on suicide watch.

How many more QB failures can this fan base take? ?

Many on here have decided any failure will be totally the rest of the team (and the world’s) fault

It’s nice to have some optimism for once in about 25 years now heading into a season. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

I'm just curious, are you familiar with elways rookie season stats? sure, it was his rookie season and he went on to have a pretty darn good career but if you looked at his rookie numbers (47.5% completion rate, 6.4 yards-per-attempt and a 7-14 TD-INT ratio) you may of questioned if he was going to be any good or not? although like many see potential in JA, they saw it in JE as well even after a rookie campain.

same applies to JA, his first season was rough so it would be best to allow a season or two or three to pass before claiming failure or success. keep in mind I have not compared him to JE, just pointing out stats that were obviously worse then JA's rookie season so it would be hard to judge him at this early stage in his career.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

3 hours ago, row_33 said:

Many on here have decided any failure will be totally the rest of the team (and the world’s) fault

It’s nice to have some optimism for once in about 25 years now heading into a season. 

As of today it looks like the schedule sets up nicely for the Bills.

But, of course, things change and usually never works out. ?

On 7/14/2019 at 2:43 PM, row_33 said:

Yep. The franchise desperately needs Josh Allen to be the answer at QB, so some have a difficult time viewing it objectively. If he struggles and it's truly not his fault, that's far better than the alternative. 

All we can do is hope at this point.