Josh Allen reminds me of Ken Stabler

major

7 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Cam has only missed 4 games in his almost 10 year career

He's a horse

..and EXACTLY where did I question his durability?....his recent surgeries and less than "Cam like" performances certainly leads one to question as to whether his style is now taking its toll...

2 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..and EXACTLY where did I question his durability?....his recent surgeries and less than "Cam like" performances certainly leads one to question as to whether his style is now taking its toll...

You did say "beating cam Newton has taken" 

And Cam Just isn't the most naturally accurate passer so his legs have always opened the pass game. When you force him to pass and he has no run game his game has always taken a hit.. no pun intended...

I would say it's more coordinators have learned how to contain Cam than surgeries and beatings have hindered him

We need Allen to develop into a better pocket passer than Cam while keeping them honest with legs

6 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

You did say "beating cam Newton has taken" 

And Cam Just isn't the most naturally accurate passer so his legs have always opened the pass game. When you force him to pass and he has no run game his game has always taken a hit.. no pun intended...

I would say it's more coordinators have learned how to contain Cam than surgeries and beatings have hindered him

We need Allen to develop into a better pocket passer than Cam while keeping them honest with legs

...EXACTLY my point......where are we having an apparent DISCONNECT?...............

4 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I was thinking Elway

except for the tiny small fact that Elway was accurate...and that he made smarter decisions.

they are both big and tough...thats something. And both are confident guys.Allen is probably the better runner.

45 minutes ago, Tcali said:

except for the tiny small fact that Elway was accurate...and that he made smarter decisions.

they are both big and tough...thats something. And both are confident guys.Allen is probably the better runner.

hard for me to compare JA to anyone at this point. maybe after a few seasons after he has developed.

not comparing JA to JE but had to add that JE had a pretty rough rookie season as well.

stats.jpg

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

I don't think we are

Except that Allen's running doesn't bother me rn and I know you don't like it much

...it is a dynamic hard to deny or squash......just prefer it to be the discretionary and "smart" choice for his longevity sake.....

5 hours ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

Interesting comp. A nice one that doesn't come up a lot in QB comps. I can see some Stabler in him for sure.

Does no one see Brett Favre in him? That's been my comp to the tee. I'd have thought it would come up more often. Favre even ran those north south scrambles like Josh does when they'd choose to take off. Favre not as often or as fast, but he ran vertically for solid gains every few games. He definitely dropped the scrambling altogether after like 5 years as a young buck. But his instincts, catching the secondary cheating on an unconventional read with his arm power, leadership, confidence, occasional recklessness, willingness to take off when the defense is off guard, and general unpredictability (in a positive way) in his play all give me Favre vibes.

And I strongly disagree with the Steve Young comparisons.. I see nothing to that comp other than running quarterbacks. Completely different style of scrambling too IMO. Elway I can understand.

You saying Josh Allen doesn't get any action??

Favre all the way, posted it a few times

• Awesome! (+1) 1

8 hours ago, major said:

Watched some highlights of Ken Stabler. Josh Allen reminds me of him. He was scrappy, took the hits, ran when needed (when he was younger), and was clutch. Think Josh has a stronger arm than Stabler did. Hope Josh will get us a super bowl win like “the snake” did for the raiders. Does he remind you of Stabler or someone else? 

People said the same thing when the Bills drafted JP Losman. They said he was the next Snake. Let's not get too optimistic yet.

8 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

I'd go just a little deeper into Raider history and think about Daryle "Mad Bomber" Lamonica as a Josh Allen prototype.  

Lamonica had a stronger arm than Stabler - more like Josh.  And liked to throw deep - hence the nickname.  

The trade of Lamonica is one of the worst decisions the Bills ever made, and to be sure it turned a proud championship franchise into an absolute mess.

Drafting Josh Allen has the potential to do this for us in the opposite direction. Now I have to go and rewatch Lamonica highlights! You are spot on with this post.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Hard to know who he will look like when he develops.

And so far he reminds me of a rookie with a terrific running skill set, a howitzer and accuracy problems.

Lots of potential

Stabler would honestly be one of the least likely QBs to compare to.....  

lets get to Week One kickoff please....

Stabler was so much fun to watch as a Raider. Josh is in no way reminiscent of Snake. 

I wish yall’d just stop trying to make comparisons. It’s an effort in futility. We only have a small sample size of Allen as an NFL signal caller. What we Have seen is phenomenal -off the charts -incomparable.

Just sit back and hopefully enjoy the ride.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Good comparison for Allen’s coolness.   I really like the way Allen stays patient where the offense is not ready for the opponents game plan in the first half. He doesn’t get rattled no matter how bad things look.  He stays cool just like snake so he can keep processing information.