Josh Allen reminds me of Ken Stabler

major

Watched some highlights of Ken Stabler. Josh Allen reminds me of him. He was scrappy, took the hits, ran when needed (when he was younger), and was clutch. Think Josh has a stronger arm than Stabler did. Hope Josh will get us a super bowl win like “the snake” did for the raiders. Does he remind you of Stabler or someone else? 

I'd go just a little deeper into Raider history and think about Daryle "Mad Bomber" Lamonica as a Josh Allen prototype.  

Lamonica had a stronger arm than Stabler - more like Josh.  And liked to throw deep - hence the nickname.  

The Raiders used to stretch defenses with their vertical passing game and then take advantage by running the ball - often between the tackles.  In other words, Oakland reversed the conventional thinking of the time and used the passing game to open up the running game. 

I'm not sure that wouldn't work for the Bills, with our outside speed and strong-armed quarterback.   If we force defenses to respect the deep pass, Shady and Gore will find less defenders in the box.  

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Like (+1) 2

Interesting comp. A nice one that doesn't come up a lot in QB comps. I can see some Stabler in him for sure.

Does no one see Brett Favre in him? That's been my comp to the tee. I'd have thought it would come up more often. Favre even ran those north south scrambles like Josh does when they'd choose to take off. Favre not as often or as fast, but he ran vertically for solid gains every few games. He definitely dropped the scrambling altogether after like 5 years as a young buck. But his instincts, catching the secondary cheating on an unconventional read with his arm power, leadership, confidence, occasional recklessness, willingness to take off when the defense is off guard, and general unpredictability (in a positive way) in his play all give me Favre vibes.

And I strongly disagree with the Steve Young comparisons.. I see nothing to that comp other than running quarterbacks. Completely different style of scrambling too IMO. Elway I can understand.

3 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Stabler was a hard drinker, womanizer, party animal of lets say questionable preparation. 

You saying Josh Allen doesn't get any action??

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P
  • Like (+1) 5

13 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

stabler and J Allen, in terms of personality are about as different as night and day.  Stabler's arm was sub par for an NFL QB, unlike Mr Allen.

Stabler was a hard drinker, womanizer, party animal of lets say questionable preparation.  I have zero doubt he played games severely hungover, especially from what friends tell me of his time they saw him at 2 am at the Absinthe Bar in NOLA the morning of games.  

I also remember in horror watching a "total meltdown" by Stabler in Q4 up by 21? to magically lose to the Cowboys on prime time.  No one can ever convince me he didn't throw that game.

Stabler was on some great Raider teams, i think he had more luck than skill but he did win.  Once he went to the Saints he was exposed as a very mediocre His last years with the Saints were an embarrassment.

I think it's hard to say any Hall of Famer had more luck than skill

He was pretty talented

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

No i  wasn't saying that,  dont ask me ask his girlfriend he lives with.

dang I thought he was single.

Idk why but i just think it's hilarious imagining Josh Allen being a womanizer and absolute lady killer just taking a shot at all the upstate NY women he meets. He just seems like such a dork and guy that marries his highschool sweetheart faithfully (so obviously comes off as a nice guy). And in his later years a total dork dad. 

I don't ever compare players to other 1st ballot Hall of famers because nobody will ever replicate what they did , how they did it

All the greats have their own style

IF I HAD to pick a player that I think Allen plays like it would be Steve Air McNair

Both small school guys, big , physical specimens... Can throw a football over a mountain and could run like a back

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

I don't ever compare players to other 1st ballot Hall of famers because nobody will ever replicate what they did , how they did it

IF I HAD to pick a player that I think Allen plays like it would be Steve Air McNair

Both small school guys, big , physical specimens... Can throw a football over a mountain and could run like a back

ooh good one, I've heard that before.

Idk comps are useful they're not suggesting talent will be the same, just the style of play, strenghts, weaknesses, tendencies are similar. NBA does it for players every draft they are super fun. It's fun to see a player and think "wow he really does have the same skill set". The HOF ability still translates in NBA. At some point people have similarities they're all throwing a football and very talented. I don't see 1st ballot Hall of famers do many things nobody else can EVER do, just not with as much regularity or as much success.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

dang I thought he was single.

Idk why but i just think it's hilarious imagining Josh Allen being a womanizer and absolute lady killer just taking a shot at all the upstate NY women he meets. He just seems like such a dork and guy that marries his highschool sweetheart faithfully (so obviously comes off as a nice guy). And in his later years a total dork dad. 

I agree, i can definitely see him marrying his current girlfriend ending up as a "dork dad", the direct opposite of Ken Stabler.

5 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Good points but Stabler was not a 1st ballot HOF, his came decades after he stopped playing and posthumously.

7 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I agree, i can definitely see him marrying his current girlfriend ending up as a "dork dad", the direct opposite of Ken Stabler.

Good points but Stabler was not a 1st ballot HOF, his came decades after he stopped playing and posthumously.

True true . Ken was a sneaky mobile guy and a good QB

But I don't think he physically matches up to Allen. Allen is a thoroughbred

And I pretty much meant I don't compare HoFRs to other guys. If Allen makes the HoF he plays like Josh Allen not Jim Kelly. There's only 1 Kelly and Favre and Elway

And all the greats had their own style

Edited by Buffalo716

7 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Welp. Sorry women of upstate NY. You will get your single superstar renaissance man quarterback stud at some point... Unless he's heard about California. Then you might not see your quarterback at the Rochester bars so often.

Tyrod came off as shy and a guy that doesn't go out much. Now Fitz.. he's had a midlife crisis since being in Tampa. Watch out ladies.

The Snake is my all-time favorite player in the NFL and the only non-Bills jersey I have bought.  I grew up watching him play but in all honesty I don't see the comparison.  Allen definitely has a better arm.  Stabler was more of a precision passer.  Stabler could move around in the pocket to avoid the rush but his knees were in bad shape by the time he made it to the NFL.  Personality Allen strikes me a the all-American boy next door while Stabler was the original Joe Cool.   I'd love it if were true but I don't see it.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Hate to say in Stabler is much more like Flutie as a player than he is J Allen..

Flutie is a poor man's stabler in the pocket. .  He would've killed for stablers NFL career

Ken had some good years. MVP, all pro , 4x pro bowler, HoF

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1