Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
YoloinOhio

Melvin Gordon will hold out and demand a trade from LAC without a new contract

Recommended Posts

On 7/13/2019 at 10:32 AM, Captain Murica said:

Eh, hes had one season where he has averaged over 4.0 ypc. He also seems to be injured often. Out of 64 possible games he has started 52, that's  81% and that's not accounting for the games he started but left early or limited carries because he was nursing an injury. The chargers will stand their ground as they should.   

 

Melvin Gordon Injury History

Date League Injury Details
Nov 25, 2018 NFL Knee MCL Sprain Grade 2 Gordon sprained his right MCL in Week 12 and missed the following 3 games.
Oct 14, 2018 NFL Thigh Hamstring Sprain/Pull Unspecified Grade 1 Gordon missed Week 7 with an unspecified hamstring injury. He returned after the Week 8 bye.
Dec 11, 2016 NFL Inguinal Hip Sprain Gordon went down early in Week 14 and missed the final 3 games.
Dec 11, 2016 NFL Knee PCL Sprain Grade 2 Gordon went down early in Week 14 and missed the final 3 games.
Dec 20, 2015 NFL Knee Tear Gordon tore cartilage in his knee in Week 15 and was placed on IR.
Aug 13, 2015 NFL Pedal Ankle Sprain/Pull Unspecified Grade 1

Gordon sat out Week 2 of the preseason but was fine to handle 17 touches in his regular season debut.

 

 

last 3 seasons...28 rushing TDs, 10 receiving TDs....4372 total yards and only 4 fumbles lost

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wondering if any of you would have paid Thurman his 2nd contract or let him leave...since great RBs are so easy to draft

Edited by nucci

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/11/2019 at 10:30 AM, YoloinOhio said:

 

Has ZERO Leverage.  He has to play this year (by at least week 10) and then looking down the barrel of two Franchise Tags

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks to Leveon & AB there will now be a rash of this kind of thing hitting the NFL as if they don't make enough money as it is !!

 

Levon wound up screwing him self though from a conversation i heard, the Steelers actual contract would have paid him more than what he agree'd to with the Jets but his greed won out to screw him in the long run!!

 

I hope the owners don't start caving to these kind of tactics & find a way to make them first honor their contracts that they signed initially !! Or just let them sit with out getting paid at all & see how that goes over !! 

 

I seem to remember the a very classy MJ saying before one of his first contracts was up in Chi town that he "would honor the contract that he signed because he did agree to the terms in that contract" but then he went on to say something to the effect of - but watch out for my next contract because then i will get paid . But those days of honoring what you sign are long gone ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Has ZERO Leverage.  He has to play this year (by at least week 10) and then looking down the barrel of two Franchise Tags

That’s why this can’t be compared to the Bell situation. When he threatened to sit out, he was not under contract. Gordon is. 

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

That’s why this can’t be compared to the Bell situation. When he threatened to sit out, he was not under contract. Gordon is. 

 

Important difference.  Honestly I think his best option would be to hold out long enough to get the Chargers to agree not to tag him for next season.  Then LAC gets him for Rivers’ last season and a comp pick down the line while he gets his contract in a year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, nucci said:

Wondering if any of you would have paid Thurman his 2nd contract or let him leave...since great RBs are so easy to draft

 

Totally different NFL.

 

Kelly never broke 4000yds in a season, Rivers has done so the last 6 seasons in a row, and 10 out of his 12 starting seasons.

 

No salary cap either back then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

 

Totally different NFL.

 

Kelly never broke 4000yds in a season, Rivers has done so the last 6 seasons in a row, and 10 out of his 12 starting seasons.

 

No salary cap either back then.

ok, put those Bills in modern day....would you give Thurman a 2nd contract?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, nucci said:

ok, put those Bills in modern day....would you give Thurman a 2nd contract?

 

I like your questions. At face value, the easy answer is "of course you re-sign Thurman!", which is what you are going for. But since Im bored as work, let's take it a step further...

 

It would be a difficult decision, since giving him his $11M/yr would mean we dont get to re-sign players like:

Bennett,

Bruce,

Talley,

Hull,

Wolford,

Reed,

Kelly,

(Not to mentions second tier players like Tasker, Metzelaars Conlan, Hansen, etc...)

 

So from that list, and considering Kenny Davis is pretty good (with Carwell Gardner for short yardage), pick 2-3 who you would NOT re-sign in order to keep Thurman? With just Kelly and Bruce, there is almost 30% of your cap right there...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

 

I like your questions. At face value, the easy answer is "of course you re-sign Thurman!", which is what you are going for. But since Im bored as work, let's take it a step further...

 

It would be a difficult decision, since giving him his $11M/yr would mean we dont get to re-sign players like:

Bennett,

Bruce,

Talley,

Hull,

Wolford,

Reed,

Kelly,

(Not to mentions second tier players like Tasker, Metzelaars Conlan, Hansen, etc...)

 

So from that list, and considering Kenny Davis is pretty good (with Carwell Gardner for short yardage), pick 2-3 who you would NOT re-sign in order to keep Thurman? With just Kelly and Bruce, there is almost 30% of your cap right there...

 

Great, now you're making me think!! Couldn't we sign them all to team friendly deals...vet minimum with incentives.....? I see your points but as a 2nd round pick he would have received a 4 year deal expiring after the '91 season..his MVP season and he actually was better in '92...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, nucci said:

Great, now you're making me think!! Couldn't we sign them all to team friendly deals...vet minimum with incentives.....? I see your points but as a 2nd round pick he would have received a 4 year deal expiring after the '91 season..his MVP season and he actually was better in '92...

 

Yep, he signed a BLOCKBUSTER deal after '91, and went from $250k/yr to $1M/yr! Crazy how far the contracts have come, but I guess that was nearly 30 years ago.

 

I cant find any good resources that list our Free Agents in 91-92-93 to see who else would have been re-signing in that period.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, T master said:

Thanks to Leveon & AB there will now be a rash of this kind of thing hitting the NFL as if they don't make enough money as it is !!

 

Levon wound up screwing him self though from a conversation i heard, the Steelers actual contract would have paid him more than what he agree'd to with the Jets but his greed won out to screw him in the long run!!

 

I hope the owners don't start caving to these kind of tactics & find a way to make them first honor their contracts that they signed initially !! Or just let them sit with out getting paid at all & see how that goes over !! 

 

I seem to remember the a very classy MJ saying before one of his first contracts was up in Chi town that he "would honor the contract that he signed because he did agree to the terms in that contract" but then he went on to say something to the effect of - but watch out for my next contract because then i will get paid . But those days of honoring what you sign are long gone ...

Bell is extremely lucky that his situation worked out as good as it did. If the Jets were not there to outbid themselves in their overpayment then he would have not been paid nearly as much. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, eball said:

 

I figured, but I don’t like shackling McBeane with the decisions of former GMs and coaches because it’s clear they are doing things differently.

 

Some just like shackles but I try not to judge what people do at home with their shackles and farm animals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...