Melvin Gordon will hold out and demand a trade from LAC without a new contract

15 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

That’s why this can’t be compared to the Bell situation. When he threatened to sit out, he was not under contract. Gordon is. 

Important difference.  Honestly I think his best option would be to hold out long enough to get the Chargers to agree not to tag him for next season.  Then LAC gets him for Rivers’ last season and a comp pick down the line while he gets his contract in a year. 

4 hours ago, nucci said:

Wondering if any of you would have paid Thurman his 2nd contract or let him leave...since great RBs are so easy to draft

Totally different NFL.

Kelly never broke 4000yds in a season, Rivers has done so the last 6 seasons in a row, and 10 out of his 12 starting seasons.

No salary cap either back then.

15 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Totally different NFL.

Kelly never broke 4000yds in a season, Rivers has done so the last 6 seasons in a row, and 10 out of his 12 starting seasons.

No salary cap either back then.

ok, put those Bills in modern day....would you give Thurman a 2nd contract?

10 minutes ago, nucci said:

ok, put those Bills in modern day....would you give Thurman a 2nd contract?

I like your questions. At face value, the easy answer is "of course you re-sign Thurman!", which is what you are going for. But since Im bored as work, let's take it a step further...

It would be a difficult decision, since giving him his $11M/yr would mean we dont get to re-sign players like:

Bennett,

Bruce,

Talley,

Hull,

Wolford,

Reed,

Kelly,

(Not to mentions second tier players like Tasker, Metzelaars Conlan, Hansen, etc...)

So from that list, and considering Kenny Davis is pretty good (with Carwell Gardner for short yardage), pick 2-3 who you would NOT re-sign in order to keep Thurman? With just Kelly and Bruce, there is almost 30% of your cap right there...

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I like your questions. At face value, the easy answer is "of course you re-sign Thurman!", which is what you are going for. But since Im bored as work, let's take it a step further...

It would be a difficult decision, since giving him his $11M/yr would mean we dont get to re-sign players like:

Bennett,

Bruce,

Talley,

Hull,

Wolford,

Reed,

Kelly,

(Not to mentions second tier players like Tasker, Metzelaars Conlan, Hansen, etc...)

So from that list, and considering Kenny Davis is pretty good (with Carwell Gardner for short yardage), pick 2-3 who you would NOT re-sign in order to keep Thurman? With just Kelly and Bruce, there is almost 30% of your cap right there...

Great, now you're making me think!! Couldn't we sign them all to team friendly deals...vet minimum with incentives.....? I see your points but as a 2nd round pick he would have received a 4 year deal expiring after the '91 season..his MVP season and he actually was better in '92...

4 minutes ago, nucci said:

Great, now you're making me think!! Couldn't we sign them all to team friendly deals...vet minimum with incentives.....? I see your points but as a 2nd round pick he would have received a 4 year deal expiring after the '91 season..his MVP season and he actually was better in '92...

Yep, he signed a BLOCKBUSTER deal after '91, and went from $250k/yr to $1M/yr! Crazy how far the contracts have come, but I guess that was nearly 30 years ago.

I cant find any good resources that list our Free Agents in 91-92-93 to see who else would have been re-signing in that period.

4 hours ago, T master said:

Thanks to Leveon & AB there will now be a rash of this kind of thing hitting the NFL as if they don't make enough money as it is !!

Levon wound up screwing him self though from a conversation i heard, the Steelers actual contract would have paid him more than what he agree'd to with the Jets but his greed won out to screw him in the long run!!

I hope the owners don't start caving to these kind of tactics & find a way to make them first honor their contracts that they signed initially !! Or just let them sit with out getting paid at all & see how that goes over !! 

I seem to remember the a very classy MJ saying before one of his first contracts was up in Chi town that he "would honor the contract that he signed because he did agree to the terms in that contract" but then he went on to say something to the effect of - but watch out for my next contract because then i will get paid . But those days of honoring what you sign are long gone ...

Bell is extremely lucky that his situation worked out as good as it did. If the Jets were not there to outbid themselves in their overpayment then he would have not been paid nearly as much. 

10 hours ago, eball said:

I figured, but I don’t like shackling McBeane with the decisions of former GMs and coaches because it’s clear they are doing things differently.

Some just like shackles but I try not to judge what people do at home with their shackles and farm animals.

• 2 weeks later...

Bump ?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27248646/source-gordon-tells-chargers-not-showing

Running back Melvin Gordon has informed the Los Angeles Chargers that he will not report to training camp Wednesday when the rest of the team reports, a source familiar with those talks told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Gordon, who is scheduled to make $5.6 million this season, wants a new contract. Sources told Schefter that the sides are not close to a new deal.

• 2 weeks later...

I get it from Gordon’s side but he is seriously overrating his value.  Struggles to stay healthy, one 1,000 rushing season, career 4.0 ypc, lack of value for rbs.  If anything, this trade demand will show him how little value he actually has.  Tough situation. 

So Gurley is at ~$15m/yr, Bell and Johnson at ~$13m, then a big dropoff to Freeman and McCoy. Lots of rookie backs down the list looking for new contracts now or soon.

I see Gordon looking at those numbers above and thinking he's worth it, and he is definitely in the upper tier of backs, but paying a back carries a lot of risk in the most replaceable position on the field. 

Rivers/Chargers window is closing here too. Tough situation, but I don't see any teams willing to trade for and pay him. 

3 minutes ago, Big C said:

So Gurley is at ~$15m/yr, Bell and Johnson at ~$13m, then a big dropoff to Freeman and McCoy. Lots of rookie backs down the list looking for new contracts now or soon.

I see Gordon looking at those numbers above and thinking he's worth it, and he is definitely in the upper tier of backs, but paying a back carries a lot of risk in the most replaceable position on the field. 

Rivers/Chargers window is closing here too. Tough situation, but I don't see any teams willing to trade for and pay him. 

Chargers aren’t trading him. He’s under contract. He either takes their offer, or continues to get fined. If he misses a certain amount of games, he will also lose an accrued year of play toward FA, which would really screw over what he’s looking to do. 

5 minutes ago, Big C said:

I actuallt question if he is a top tier back. Id say mid-level, but top tier to me are the guys who can carry an offense- he’s never been asked to do that and I’m not sure he’d be able to if he was. 

Just now, whatdrought said:

I actuallt question if he is a top tier back. Id say mid-level, but top tier to me are the guys who can carry an offense- he’s never been asked to do that and I’m not sure he’d be able to if he was. 

A couple other things - one really good year, and other years were meh. Had a really slow start. Aldo had tons of carries at Wisconsin so a lot of wear on the tires. Also, microfracture surgery on his knee a few years ago and has had a pretty shaky availability history while with the LAC. He can’t be replaced this year for LAC, but they could likely replace him in the draft. So makes sense to stick with the # they are comfortable with. He can’t really  sit out the year like Bell did.

11 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Chargers aren’t trading him. He’s under contract. He either takes their offer, or continues to get fined. If he misses a certain amount of games, he will also lose an accrued year of play toward FA, which would really screw over what he’s looking to do. 

Yeah, I suppose it isn't really a tough situation for the Chargers. More a pain in the rear. They just don't have a viable backup right now the way Pittsburgh did.

11 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

He has been trending up since his awful rookie year. Top five back this past year, but the injury concerns are there, lots of new talent coming up on his tail, and you may never see him get the workload that Gurley or Zeke get. Maybe he doesn't even think he'll deliver in his contract year? 

On 7/15/2019 at 10:35 AM, MAJBobby said:

Has ZERO Leverage.  He has to play this year (by at least week 10) and then looking down the barrel of two Franchise Tags

The leverage is basically, pay me or watch your super bowl chances disappear.  Not that he's the biggest piece of the chargers - its kind of a call your bluff situation. 

Ekeler is fine, but he tends to not look as solid when its just him playing.