Melvin Gordon will hold out and demand a trade from LAC without a new contract

21 hours ago, dneveu said:

Considering most running backs really only get 2 contracts - and he's averaged about 1200 total yards and 10 TDs per year.  I don't really blame him.  

Hard to determine his value - he's not gurley or bell, but he's also 26 and if he plays out this year he's subject to a tag year - thats 11 million in 2019.  Assuming he plays well this year and gets tagged next year he'd make approximately 16-17 million.  He's now 28 - the team will have drafted his replacement and "his best days are behind him" so he ends up with a modest mark ingram style deal (3yr 15 mil 6 guaranteed).  He probably plays out 2 and makes 10.  So he made 26 million - if he plays well and doesnt get hurt.

He signs a big deal now in the realm of the bell 4 and 50 - he gets 25ish guaranteed at signing.  If he plays well he probably makes more of that 50, or signs a 2nd deal when he gets cut - if he doesn't play well (or gets hurt) he still makes the same 26 he would have made by playing out his 5th year option/tag.

From a business perspective running backs kind of have to be selfish...

He's TJ Yeldon with dreadlocks.

18 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

yep

tough call for Chargers i think.
not for me. i would pay him. Unless they are doing another rebuild already.

who backs up Rivers again lol

Everyone has a full 90 right now - its kind of hard to find trade partners when teams have like 7 running backs a piece.  Pittsburgh and KC look like good fits, but LA isn't stupid enough to trade to afc contenders.  Gonna have to wait to see if some players get injured.  Their depth is OK, but if they make a move i'd try and grab someone like duke johnson to play 1b if ekeler becomes the full time starter.

28 minutes ago, Billzfan23 said:

Before last year i'd agree, but he was pretty good last year. 

21 hours ago, Logic said:

I'm over paying top dollar for running backs. 

Draft a few of them between rounds 1-5, keep them through their rookie deals, and then let them walk and repeat process.

I really don't see ANY consistently great NFL franchises paying big money to running backs these days.

I think you pay elite players regardless of position

13 hours ago, Boca BIlls said:

You mean final season of his career?

He's got another few years in him if he wants to keep playing, and the Chargers certainly dont have any better options lined up currently. I think they bring him back on a 3yr/$75M deal. And I'd personally put that money towards Rivers than any RB.

35 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

How "elite" is Gordon though? Shady has better numbers than him over the last 4 years.

I'd pay Gordon, but not more than $10M/year. Maybe 4/$34M, fully guaranteed, just to seal the deal. ?

51 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Everyone has a full 90 right now - its kind of hard to find trade partners when teams have like 7 running backs a piece.  Pittsburgh and KC look like good fits, but LA isn't stupid enough to trade to afc contenders.  Gonna have to wait to see if some players get injured.  Their depth is OK, but if they make a move i'd try and grab someone like duke johnson to play 1b if ekeler becomes the full time starter.

Before last year i'd agree, but he was pretty good last year. 

Plus the Raiders went first round running back, so they are set for a while

1 hour ago, Captain Hindsight said:

the problem with this is that RB rarely survive long enough to make it a good investment. i would agree except for RB because the OL is such a huge factor in the success of backs.

I wonder if LeVeon Bell wishes he could have back the $14 million or so he left on the table last year? But he showed them! 

I was all for letting Bruce Smith sit out when he wanted a new contract.....right after he got a new contract. You can probably guess how I feel about Melvin Gordon. He’s got a contract. Play, or don’t. Those are the options. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

How "elite" is Gordon though? Shady has better numbers than him over the last 4 years.

I'd pay Gordon, but not more than $10M/year. Maybe 4/$34M, fully guaranteed, just to seal the deal. ?

Oh I wasn't saying Gordon was elite. Hes a good-great back. My argument was more about paying elite players in general.

I've seen people argue that Ezekiel Elliot isnt worth a second contract because hes a RB. Tasker was arguing that he was used up, which is simply ridiculous. He's an elite talent and he will be paid handsomely  

2 hours ago, Billzfan23 said:

Not sure how you make that comparison. Kinda ridiculous actually.  Watch the players play. 

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Does he?  Last 4 seasons:

Gordon:

897 carries for 3628 yards

182 receptions for 1577 yards

5205 combined yards

Shady:

885 carries for 3814 yards

175 receptions for 1334 yards

5148 combined yards

I am not saying that he should get Bell money, but he’s worth a pretty good contract. IMO he’s definitely in the $10M-$11M AAV range.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, mattynh said:

I dont blame him,  but he will not be worth what he gets on the open market.......it would be terrible if the Bills went after him, makes no sense.

They won’t - as you said it makes no sense. It would make more sense for them to go after Duke Johnson, but they would need to move one of the current RBs, who i expect would be McCoy. Duke and Shady now have the same agent as of yesterday, btw. 

I think their backup Eckler performed decently last year.  Gordon may have little leverage.  Wonder what LAC would give for Shady, Gore, or Yeldon?  

54 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

They won’t - as you said it makes no sense. It would make more sense for them to go after Duke Johnson, but they would need to move one of the current RBs, who i expect would be McCoy. Duke and Shady now have the same agent as of yesterday, btw. 

I could see LAC going after Duke Johnson if Gordon holds out.  Although the Browns likely don't want to trade him to someone they view as a possible playoff opponent.  

23 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Ekeler hasn’t looked nearly as good when he’s been the main RB (when Gordon was hurt)

Ture, but that is an improving OL.  I'd imagine Ekeler looks better this year.  Pair Ekeler with Johnson, Shady, or Yeldon and you have basically what you have with Gordon.  Perhaps even better due to injury bug that hits Gordon.  

I continue to read threads about the running back position and the Bills "potential" interest in acquiring a top back. Most of the conversation is centered around McCoy/Gore/Yeldon.

We just drafted a running back in the 3rd round. A 3rd round running back is supposed to be an immediate impact player in 2019. I'm not a big fan of the Singletary pick, but if I was, I would be counting on him to do big things. What gives?

On 7/11/2019 at 11:52 AM, Logic said:

I really don't see ANY consistently great NFL franchises paying big money to running backs these days.

There's less than a handful of consistently great franchises and they all have stud QBs.

The Rams without Gurley, for example, are a borderline playoff team as opposed to a Super Bowl contender.  Great backs are still great backs.