Melvin Gordon will hold out and demand a trade from LAC without a new contract

Hm... Not a ton of leverage for a running back, but I bet they get the deal done... They would look pretty dumb getting rid of one of their best weapons going into River's late twilight.

If they do trade him, I wonder who would be in the market? I can't think off the top of my head any team that is desperate for backfield help... Maybe somewhere in the AFC South. Bucs maybe?

Considering most running backs really only get 2 contracts - and he's averaged about 1200 total yards and 10 TDs per year.  I don't really blame him.  

Hard to determine his value - he's not gurley or bell, but he's also 26 and if he plays out this year he's subject to a tag year - thats 11 million in 2019.  Assuming he plays well this year and gets tagged next year he'd make approximately 16-17 million.  He's now 28 - the team will have drafted his replacement and "his best days are behind him" so he ends up with a modest mark ingram style deal (3yr 15 mil 6 guaranteed).  He probably plays out 2 and makes 10.  So he made 26 million - if he plays well and doesnt get hurt.

He signs a big deal now in the realm of the bell 4 and 50 - he gets 25ish guaranteed at signing.  If he plays well he probably makes more of that 50, or signs a 2nd deal when he gets cut - if he doesn't play well (or gets hurt) he still makes the same 26 he would have made by playing out his 5th year option/tag.

From a business perspective running backs kind of have to be selfish...

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Considering most running backs really only get 2 contracts - and he's averaged about 1200 total yards and 10 TDs per year.  I don't really blame him.  

Hard to determine his value - he's not gurley or bell, but he's also 26 and if he plays out this year he's subject to a tag year - thats 11 million in 2019.  Assuming he plays well this year and gets tagged next year he'd make approximately 16-17 million.  He's now 28 - the team will have drafted his replacement and "his best days are behind him" so he ends up with a modest mark ingram style deal (3yr 15 mil 6 guaranteed).  He probably plays out 2 and makes 10.  So he made 26 million - if he plays well and doesnt get hurt.

He signs a big deal now in the realm of the bell 4 and 50 - he gets 25ish guaranteed at signing.  If he plays well he probably makes more of that 50, or signs a 2nd deal when he gets cut - if he doesn't play well (or gets hurt) he still makes the same 26 he would have made by playing out his 5th year option/tag.

From a business perspective running backs kind of have to be selfish...

He's not going to get Bell money, though.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm over paying top dollar for running backs. 

Draft a few of them between rounds 1-5, keep them through their rookie deals, and then let them walk and repeat process.

I really don't see ANY consistently great NFL franchises paying big money to running backs these days.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Logic said:

So you’re over overpaying top dollar for running backs?  Over.

EDIT:  Upon further review, does ‘over overpaying’ mean you will no longer overpay?  Or does it mean the player who’s worth 5 million can command a 10 million contract, and then you go and give him 15 million?  Is that ‘over overpaying’?  ?

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Haha (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Logic said:

Draft a few of them between rounds 1-5, keep them through their rookie deals, and then let them walk and repeat process.

I really don't see ANY consistently great NFL franchises paying big money to running backs these days.

I'd pay $100,000,000,000 to have Earl Campbell on my team.  

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Augie said:

We have 2 of the top 4. Do we get a prize? Maybe an AARP discount? 

I don’t know but how soon before someone brings up the Anthony Lynn/LeSean McCoy connection for a trade if Gordon holds out until the season? 

It wont be me :devil:

• Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1